Starter set group build chat

Hi

To keep everything on a level playing field, I propose that it is a complete starter build, and only what is included in the box be used with the adition of a knife and water.

So,

No primer

Only the supplied tube of glue (can be applied using torn up parts of the box as on a very useful YouTube clip!)

No filler (although a gloop of sprue melted in glue can be made)

No airbrushes, only the supplied hairy stick(s)

No other paints, only the supplied tubs of paint (not even substituted jars of the same colour) although supplied colours can be mixed together

No aftermarket parts/decals, only what is on the sprue/sheet (no fixers/softeners either)

No weathering/washes other than the thinned down pots supplied

Any scale

Any subject matter

That would show newbies like me what was truly achieveable with skill.

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I would be tempted to sign up but for 3 reasons:

1. I hate tube glue, I have always hated tube glue, I will forever hate tube glue.

Could I please substitute Humbrol Precision Poly Cement - (I promise to hide the 'other name' super glue and plastic weld)

2. I would have to order online as I don't think I could face the embarrassment of buying it otherwise...I mean arent Airfix kits for kids?... :) (still the reaction when I tell people)

3. They haven't released the Kate starter yet. Suppose at a pinch I could go nuts with a tiny U-Boat or Mary Rose whilst everyone else is building more Spitfires than Supermarine ever managed

Edited by dpm1did1

I would be tempted to sign up but for 3 reasons:

1. I hate tube glue, I have always hated tube glue, I will forever hate tube glue.

Could I please substitute Humbrol Precision Poly Cement - (I promise to hide the 'other name' super glue and plastic weld)

2. I would have to order online as I don't think I could face the embarrassment of buying it otherwise...I mean arent Airfix kits for kids?... :) (still the reaction when I tell people)

3. They haven't released the Kate starter yet. Suppose at a pinch I could go nuts with a tiny U-Boat or Mary Rose whilst everyone else is building more Spitfires than Supermarine ever managed

I think you can get round reason 2, apparently a significant amount of Airfix sales are from people buying them as gifts. You could go into the shop and say it's a birthday present for someone or maybe Christmas seeing it's not far off ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Was looking today and I think I'll make this my first car. Saw a Jaguar E-type set today and I absolutely adore that car.

And its probably my only chance of owning one.

Drat, no change if markings/whiffing, still I'm up for it IF (and that's a very big IF) I can find a starter set, I already have several projects on the drawing board and a couple awaiting space on my workbench. Still if it happens I'l look at this one closely!

Edited by raptormodeller

• 3 weeks later...

I think the chances of getting my missus interested are somewhat less than zero...however I picked up 4 kits yesterday, spit, hurricane, mustang and P40. Came home and missus nabbed them off me and said those will do for xmas pressies to you from the kids....