Starter set group build chat

You could always leave till the last minute, then give it a go.

I think it would be entirely in the spirit of the build, it was all about make do and mend when I built kits as a kid.

Matt

I'm with Matt, it's about doing the best you can with limited resources and if you can stretch those by adapting what's in the box then good on you.

• Like 1

Time to try a group build again..? I think it's more or less a year since I hammered the keyboard to post something on BM. So why not try again. And why not a rather low-key GB. Suits me fine. I think..

I see Airfix is well represented so maybe I should be a little off and go for Revell? Yes I think so. And to make it even more off it will be a small model of a large ship, the !/1200 Scharnhorst. Okay?

• Like 1

Silly question time,

does this qualify?.....

001_zpsy3ioc9fp.jpg

...doesn't say 'starter set' on the box, but all the usual suspects are present and correct - thick glue, 'orrible paint and a well dodgy double ended brush that's bound to end in tears.

But now I look a little closer, that is a rather poor selection of colours, so if you say no, I might not be too upset

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 1

I'm not the boss here, but I would think that that is acceptable Craig.

However... if that's Revell Aqua paint in those little plastic pots, you're doing ok, because I believe that the stuff is pretty good (never used it myself, have never even seen it in a shop. The received knowledge from the interknobs is that it'll need a spot of water to thin it). The glue is also a darn sight better than the 'orrible tube glug that we poor Airfix builders are saddled with. The brush could be nasty, but you can't have it all your own way! ;)

Wait for Dazdot if you like, but I'd say go for it!

• Like 1

The brush that came with the Scharnhorst is kind of thin in one end and a little bigger in the other, which has a sort of oval shape. The blue bigger end was extremely hard and pointy, you could actually hurt yourself on it. After a little persuasion it loosend up, to the degree that the whole hairy bit came loose and almost disappeared into the handle :yikes: . It's in one piece though so I can live with it (I think..)

Do the Gift Sets count, chaps? One of the first kits I built as a smaller person was a Sea Harrier and I've got a yen to do the Dogfight Double Falklands set - which comes with paints, glue and brushes. Either that or a Lightning F.2A

Edited by maltadefender

...doesn't say 'starter set' on the box, but all the usual suspects are present and correct - thick glue, 'orrible paint and a well dodgy double ended brush that's bound to end in tears.

Craig

Double ended brush, sounds a bit blooming posh !

I thought all brushes were double ended in any case, as the non-hairy end is used for stirring, everyone knows that

Good luck with the build Craig

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Thank you. I remembered last night that I have the ModelZone 'Alamein' Dogfight Double set of the P-40B and tropicalised 109E.

If the paints have survived storage that's my first choice.

• Like 1