Starter set group build chat

just to make sure I break no rules (should I enter!) -

1.I take it no klear coat over the paint job before decals?

2. No putty/filling?

3. No sanding joints/plastic bits left after removing from the sprue?

4. How about nose weights for tail sitters? Normally I do in flight but if no pilot in the kit?

5. No Weathering - washes etc as all the paints are water based, nothing external from the box allowed?

No issues with this just want to be clear...!!

Am looking at various Revell Jets - Typhoon, F16 Dutch and Turkish, maybe the Hind.....also maybe the Airfix Lightning F2A.......

Edited by Tim Moff

Looking at the posted builds so far, it's great to see that we're all getting into the spirit of the GB. Quick and easy, get it done before teatime and we can fly it around the front room after Dr Who! (the Job Pertwee episodes, natch.)

The only thing that could make this better was if we could get hold of some Matchbox Starter sets.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone copes without all the mod cons.

Sorry just to clear this up you can sand bits sorry rules are going to be changed to include that. I'm human sorry I missed it out.

No probs mate - i just don't wanna cheat ! what about priming? :frantic:

I´m sorry Darren but I have to ask, can also an old toothbrush be allowed as a tool in this GB? I´d rank it in the same category as clothes pegs and tape, domestic stuff that everyone has available at no cost.

Now, why a toothbrush? Just because I learned about 35 years ago to polish matt painted surfaces with plastic toothbrush to lessen contrast between camouflage colours and improve the surface for decals. That was before things got Clearer :-)

Regards, V-P

V-P on taking advice tooth brushes due to no cost yep ok

Premier is extra cost however so nah sorry

I was hoping for an Italeri one but all I could find were Revell and Airfix and nothing in the Revell range appealed to me.

Now, sort of a rules question; what about nose ballast? Are washers/ nuts blu-tack allowed or is it strictly what's in the kit?

I was fondling an Italeri Spitfire Vc Modelset at my local hoby shop but couldn´t see me building it without any black and metallic paints so left without buying it... and yes of course, the Airfix Tiffie is another class of a kit too :-) V-P

EDIT: of course that was a Vb, not a Vc

Edited by vppelt68

I bought the Italeri Spitfire Mk.IX 'My First Model Kit' box the other day, mainly out of curiosity (I know, I could've just looked it up...) The plastic is the Occidental kit which apparently has a few flaws (but it'll look like a Spitfire to me, I'm not fanatical about the a/c), there's a set of tools included (which look pretty well OK) and there's no less than 3 pots of (Humbrol) paint included - Flat Black, Flat Gray and Flat Green; the kit is moulded in a dark grey, and Italeri want you to use that colour as the undersurface shade... I think not, Antonio. On the upside, it has proper liquid cement in it, and it comes in a proper box, wiv a top 'n' everyfink.

I'm considering either finding more interesting markings than Italeri supply, or a conversion to an FR Mk.IX, (I rather fancy it in light pink) but it won't be built for this GB.

In other news, the 2 Airfix (lol) Vampires I ordered have arrived, so my youngest brother and I will shortly start on those, and the Airfix (lmao) Victory Gift Set (the big one, not the Starter Set) I ordered for my other brother has arrived at his house (which is a bit too far away for me to deliver it personally), and he promises faithfully that he'll be kicking on with that shortly AND that he'll finish it in time. Go go Gadget everything!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled GB chat.

Dazdot - my brother and I are both going to build the same kit (one each, of course) - what's your favoured approach for the build diary? One each, or a joint one? Either works for me.

The standards of the starter kits from Airfix are much higher than they were last time and there are a lot more of them. It's hard not to make a bad job of them - though I have made mess of 2 Mustangs so far. So I'm in with a third.

The Cutty Sark may be an exception to that observation - It's hard to articulate quite how pants this model is; big sink marks on the hull, extraordinary drum-like locating holes for the cartoon masts - omg. Well, at least there's nothing to be precious about!