Starter set group build chat

When: 19th March 2016 to 17th April 2016

Host: Dazdot

Ok so at the Essex show yesterday we got talking and decided maybe we run a starter set group build again. Purely for fun with some key rules designed to bring back a few memories of the good old days as much as anything else. So the rules are, in no particular order.

An airfix or revell starter set to be used and the build is to use only the bits supplied in the packaging I.e. Little pots of paint, tube of glue and supplied paintbrush. Other tools are restricted to a knife, cutters and a simple sanding stick or one grade of sandpaper.

The kit is to be built as we used to on a tea tray on your lap (lap trays are acceptable).

So give us your thoughts it doesn't have to be a long build but who knows it could be fun and a break from rivet counting and obsessing over the details.

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 3

interesting idea, not one for me though without less restrictions, coincidentally build the airfix tomahawk starter over the weekend as a nice simple speed build as a break from harder models but I used extra paint to make the model more authentic, hardly rivet couting painting the interior green, guns gunmetal using mid stone not desert yellow and red for the spinner so perhaps more liberal rules could be a better idea for some

Edited by PhantomBigStu

We have successfully run a short GB like this before and it was fun, attracting kids and spouses, hey even Mike joined in!

If we run this again it will follow the rules as the last one much as outlined above.

No room for perfectionists and rivet counters in this one :)

Sounds like we may have something here then, ok I'll put a list together of all those interested

so from the top we have

Dazdot (host)

Black Knight

Rob G

S5 Modeller

Booster

Mish

Tomjw

Plastix

Stosh65

Vppelt68

Tomjw daughter Abby

dazdots wife!

prof sparks

Jimbo

Knight flyer

Dazdot step daughter

Big_ham

Luft46

Steve_60

Edited by dazdot

Stick my name on the list as well please, I'm definitely old school,

or is it just old?, anyway I'm in.

Sean

Sounds like a great idea, count me in please :)

Perhaps a time limit of a weekend to add a speed build element into the mix and make it just like the olden days where the kit is hanging from the ceiling by the end of Sunday evening!?

Rob.

Edited by bobster

That sounds like a good idea booster the only issue you might have is some of the airfix 1/24th scale kits are starter sets Don't know if you could build their sea harrier in a weekend but it sounds good

Firstly, count me in for a bit of fun. Don't know what yet.

Secondly this will be a fun Gb with one of the aims of getting members kids and spouces involved so we won't have a 'speed' element. However it was also muted over the weekend that we have another Blitzbuild GB so if someone would like to start a new thread in GB chat and see f there is any interest.

This sounds like great fun. And quite refreshing. If I get my PC working so that I can post progress photos with ease then count me in please.

Cheers,

Tom.

... However it was also muted over the weekend that we have another Blitzbuild GB so if someone would like to start a new thread in GB chat and see f there is any interest.

Done.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985939-blitz-gb-anyone/

If I remember how this goes from my days as a kid...

Saturday morning buy Airfix kit from Woolworths for One Shilling, get home and build and paint it while dad watched Grandstand or World of Sport. Have it finished so mum can lay the table for tea and I can watch Dr Who.

Edited by Mish
  • Like 3

I'll sign up for this. I just started my Airfix 109 starter set but I've been looking for an excuse to get the Revell Hurricane one anyway.

question I'm going to bring up, if it has to be just OOB what about the revell gift sets that woefully undersupplied with paints, in the case of the hurricane you just get dark green, ochre and dark earth, enough to paint the interior, and the upper camoflage....going to be some interesting models, in that case