Vickers Armstrong/Supermarine Type 559`s Older Brother

tc2324

Thank you D11.

Ok, so things are starting to get interesting now as I move forward and I`d like opinions please on the following.

Which chassis looks the move convincing?

Here is the Achilles 1/48 scale which matches the aircraft but not so much 1/35 launch rail which as many of you is from an SA-2 kit. (You also might have to use a bit of imagination as it`s not completed either...).

IMG_4436_zpszqdc6kik.jpg

..... and now we have a 1/35 Patton tank chassis which matches the rail, but not so much aircraft kit.

IMG_4435_zpsx63yubqk.jpg

Remember, this is going to be built as a kind of point defence `throw away` fighter launched from a ZELL carrier. An RAF 1950`s Bachem Ba 349 Natter if you will which was to counter the Warsaw pack hoard of bombers as they came into range.

During times of tension, these fighters were deployed away from airfields and....., well.., you get the rest.

I`m tempted to go for a 1/35 scale chassis but more a WWII type tank. Churchill base perhaps?

• Like 1

I would go for something with small wheels that looks convincing in 1/48th scale. Maybee a King tiger with a new structure in 1/48th?!

Youcould also use the achilles chassis and place the armour outwards to give it more of a platform and also would give it more body.

As a Lightning weights about 15 ton and I think the launch platform about 2 ton?! than the chassis underneath would need to carry that weight.

By the way nice build sofar. :goodjob:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

It`s been a very long 5 days of cutting plasti-card, lots of PSR and then bundles of waiting for things to dry or set.

But it finally got to the stage where I could add some colour to my design today and in a lot of ways I think, bring it to life. Other than the cockpit, burner cans and weapons, the aircraft build and painting/spraying is pretty much complete.

Went for a standard 1950`s type camo scheme and in the final picture you can see the work I`ve done on the booster rocket and ZELL launcher assembly.

IMG_4442_zps7uskq78t.jpg

IMG_4446_zpsyz84ecri.jpg

IMG_4449_zpsjil7ffx5.jpg

Gloss coat and decals next.

• Like 2

Now I know most of you will not believe me when I say that I was looking to do another squadron other than 74, but honest guv, it`s the truth.

The problem I had was looking at all the air defence squadron decals I had in the spares box and finding the they either did not fit, looked far too large or were far to modern. With reluctance I turned to my special Tiger stash and hey presto..., they fit.

74 it is then.......

IMG_4451_zpszxon2x7i.jpg

IMG_4453_zpsjobwsl8x.jpg

Still need to apply some more stencils hence the glossy look, but not long to go before the matt coat is applied.

• Like 8

she does look really nice and what a quick build!!!

The only thing is I still think the longer nose looked better, but thats just me, it's still a fine job which I am envious of!

Cheers guys. :)

Rich, I know what you mean about the nose but as with most things `whiffy`, you are sometimes dictated too by dimensions and this was one of those times.

Saying that, the nose cone is from the EE Lightning which is of the same era, so the technology and size of it would be acceptable.

I reckon I`m about half way through this build, still got so much to do.... :blink:

Brilliant. All sorts of MODS and updates come out once in service so who's to know what nose it would end up with. Love the the way you used those Phantom intakes among a really good mash up of bits!

Thanks chaps.

So at the end of play today I`m a few bits and bobs short of finishing the airframe with the `booster` in place, aircraft armed and a pitot tube added to let the pilot know he`s going a godzillion miles an hour.......,

IMG_4456_zpsrowgg9y1.jpg

IMG_4464_zpswalkzhex.jpg

Work will start shortly on the frame that holds the aircraft to the launch rail.

Talking of which, I can`t keep calling it that `aircraft`, so I`ve come up with a name and designation and a mission profile.

Bare in mind this is the 559`s `older brother`, so in effect this is a whiff based on a whiff. (Confused yet?)

It will hence be known as the Vickers Supermarine Sceptre F.1.

This is a point defence `throw away` fighter. During times of tension and understanding that the Soviets could knock out most major airfields within minutes, the Septre squadrons would deploy in the field away from their home bases. Once launched, they would climb to 50,000 feet at Mach 2.5, intercept incoming Soviet bombers and once the missiles were depleted the pilot would, if fuel allowed, make his way back to friendly lines.

Once there, the cockpit section would separate from the main airframe, deploy a parachute and deliver the pilot back to earth. Probably a very `baked` earth, but earth nevertheless. Pretty much a one way mission, but lets face, back then most were. It`s very much a German `Natter` mission profile, but again, most designs and ideas back in the 1950`s would have been influenced by German tech so it`s not too `out there`.

More soon.

• Like 4

This is looking great! As you say it has the feel of 50s desperation in the face of high odds from a threat that thankfully never materialised if even existed.

WIF on a WIF. Love that! Its like Impressionist to Post Impressionist to Cubism. Must be carefull you dont end up with abstract expressionist and a load of Jackson Pollock.

Thanks chaps. :)

An `orrible rainy day meant that I could spend a little time on the launch cradle and get it completed.

IMG_4466_zpsu3evbjv6.jpg

The Sceptre now has a `perch` to sit on whilst I await the base unit in the shape of a Churchill VII tank.

IMG_4471_zpsatxeacpa.jpg

IMG_4474_zpsrxvlufe6.jpg

Ignore the make shift Maverick missile `splint` that`s holding it all aloft. That`s a snagging issue that I need to resolve and come up with something better.

I just need to add a few more stencils to these two builds and they are pretty much all done. Dio base will be next once the weather gets better.

Now that I have my 1950`s/60`s point defence fighter in 1/48 scale, I will need something to `strike` with............. :evil_laugh:

IMG_4475_zpsyfffwrpi.jpg

Separate thread in due course.

• Like 2

I love what you've done and now on its launching pad it reminded me of something..........

http://edwardwillett.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/fireball-xl5.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Trevor

You wouldn`t be the first to mention that. :fight::lol:

All I can say is that the ZELL concept was born around the late 1940`s and tested to various degree`s throughout the 50`s, while Fireball XL5 started showing around 1963/4 IIRC?

So I`d say Mr Anderson and Co probably copied the idea of the ZELL. (Well that`s my excuse and I`m sticking to it.....) :D

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 1

I`m now moving nearer to completion with this and hope to get a small dio base built tomorrow.

As you will see in the following pictures, I`ve used a Churchill base and added an RAF roundel and sqn flash which I don`t think would be too out of fashion for the era as many squadrons liked to mark their `property`.

IMG_4495_zpsnxe2orzo.jpg

IMG_4497_zpsskfauvmu.jpg

IMG_4499_zpsfr1missu.jpg

IMG_4501_zps6xedrwsl.jpg

• Like 6