Really lovely shots Jon. Here are a few detail pics:

image.jpg8_zpsnwikd67x.jpg

Notice the rudimentary fuel "gauge" on the aft part of the fuel tank....simple but effective!

image.jpg7_zpsr2ekvryd.jpg
Kevin covering the wings of his next Tiger Moth....ahhh, the smell of dope!
image.jpg6_zpsmkzsotey.jpg
image.jpg1_zpsysc1flam.jpg
Undercarriage and aileron control rods etc.
image.jpg2_zpss7cndzux.jpg
image.jpg3_zpscpamrvcu.jpg
Aft cockpit door and blind flying hood attachment. Note the wooden rubbing strip so that the metal frame of the hood doesn't damage the fuselage.
image.jpg5_zpsjnixsurv.jpg
Tail section and elevator control cables.
image.jpg4_zpso7xiaeta.jpg
Ditto plus anti-spin strakes (ugly things!)
image.jpg8_zpsfscbqtys.jpg
image.jpg4_zpskutcjwse.jpg
image.jpg6_zpswc5dled3.jpg
image.jpg2_zps43tx3xbv.jpg
Notice the substantial square-section post where the rudder fits.
image.jpg3_zps1cw2wfkh.jpg
Luggage compartment ready for the weekend away!
image.jpg5_zps2pujasc2.jpg
image.jpg7_zpstflhp8wa.jpg
Leading edge slat control, currently in the locked position.
image.jpg1_zpsceutqkro.jpg
image.jpg2_zpspt67v1ge.jpg
image.jpg6_zps8j0tjy8j.jpg
Throttle and mixture control levers at the top, trim lever (cheese cutter) at the bottom.
image.jpg4_zpsxeodtujo.jpg
image.jpg3_zpstcxefaly.jpg
image.jpg1_zpsfcfgsxhz.jpg
image.jpg5_zpsorglmfsq.jpg
  • Like 2

Just a note of caution for anyone building the Airfix all yellow starter set boxing, the only photo I have found of that airframe, (in Osprey's RAF Fighter Command Pilot) shows it with the blind flying hood attached to the rear 'pit, I found this too late for my build, but might be useful for someone else.

The blind flying hood is easily removed in minutes, but when it is you'll see a row of studs on the fuselage where the aft edge of the hood is secured. Worth adding in 1/32nd like I've done here but in 1/72nd?

DSCN7290_zpszbclsen6.jpg

Max

• Like 1

two questions about the cockpit: first, has anyone some pictures of the seat belts? and secondly, what about the colour of the cockpit sidewalls - Airfix says it's a kind of red (the dope). How to mix this colour best, and is it really correct, or was there some other colour applies afterwards?

Alex

two questions about the cockpit: first, has anyone some pictures of the seat belts? and secondly, what about the colour of the cockpit sidewalls - Airfix says it's a kind of red (the dope). How to mix this colour best, and is it really correct, or was there some other colour applies afterwards?

Alex

For the red I've used brick red and Revell rust (Aqua Colour). You can dry brush or wash it with white to get a worn effect. Looks fine inside when closed up on my Swordfish.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of the Sutton seat belts. They have to be put on in a specific order: you determine which of the holes is a comfortable "fit" for your body (it's the second one from the end for me), then you place the spigot through that hole of No. 1 strap, No. 2 strap goes over the top of that, then 3, finally 4. Holding all those in place the pin is then inserted through a hole in the spigot. Simple but effective!

Sutton%20seat%20belts_zpsvs7dbskc.jpg

Regarding the interior colour, whilst the dope is red as can be seen in some of my earlier reference pictures, the inside of the cockpit would normally be painted interior green, though I see one at least of ours in white! Hope this helps,

Max

• Like 1

The blind flying hood is easily removed in minutes, but when it is you'll see a row of studs on the fuselage where the aft edge of the hood is secured. Worth adding in 1/32nd like I've done here but in 1/72nd? DSCN7290_zpszbclsen6.jpg

Max

I think in 1/72 a row of pencil or ink dots would suffice to fool the eye, that or some tiny nubs of plastic, but they would inevitably be over scale.

Shots from this morning of the underside of the Tiger Moth showing the bell crank mechanism and links to the ailerons. I assume the two pipes are running from the pitot head then up into the ASI.

IMG_0813_zps0owkjkjo.jpg

IMG_0812_zpsj27dpehm.jpg
IMG_0808_zpsdg9fqous.jpg
IMG_0805_zpsbxamnizy.jpg
Max

Hi all

Could I ask if anyone could help please with an image of the front seat, and the area where the surround meets the rear bulkhead of the front cockpit as I am trying to replicate the front seat and mount.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

Hi all

Could I ask if anyone could help please with an image of the front seat, and the area where the surround meets the rear bulkhead of the front cockpit as I am trying to replicate the front seat and mount.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hello Chris

I don't know if this helps ...

TigerMoth-restoration.-Croyden-Aircraft-

I'm not sure if this is real, or a model ...

de-havilland-dh-82-tiger-moth-14.jpgde-havilland-dh-82-tiger-moth-13.jpg

Edited by Robert Stuart

Thanks Steve, very much appreciated.....some kind of Tiger Moth heaven there! Good to see a Rapide and a Chippie there too, all from the wonderful de Havilland stable.

Max

Hopefully there's a few colour schemes to choose from.

There were two Dragons, loads of Gypsy, Leopard, Hornet Moths and a Fox Moth from New Zealand as well. The weather was much better this year than last which helped with photos. Well worth a day out if you're into DH types.

Steve