GordonM

Someone, somewhere, sometime (pretty sure it was on Britmodeller) mentioned a book on the RAF's vehicles, it was long oop and fetched a high price on eBay and Amazon when it came up. Like an idiot I didn't bookmark the title or add it to my Amazon wish list. I've found "RAF Ground Equipment Since 1918", but I cannot find a title for the vehicles book. Can anyone help?

I sold a copy of the Airfix Guide recently which I thought was pretty dated. Was after more reference to what the RAF had used. Thanks for the link Andrew, I don't know why searching Amazon hadn't shown it? Do you have a copy, I notice of the town reviews one states they didn't think it was worth the money?

Edited by GordonM

Not sure it's worth as much as £50 - it's basically a compliation and extension of a series of articles from Airfix Magazine. It's good, but it's not comprehensive - there are big gaps in both time periods and types of vehicles - probably understandably, given the relatively small size of the book.

Someone did post scans or the original Airfix magazine articles, might have them somewhere.

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'd go for all three as they do overlap, and also add a fourth. The encyclopaedic "British Military Trucks of WW2" by Les Freathy, from Tankograd. Although covering the whole range of such trucks it does include a goodly number of RAF-specific vehicles, with high quality photos. Photos of the same vehicle in non-RAF service may also be helpful, of course, depending upon just what you want to do.

PS Consider this website: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/forumdisplay.php?33-Airfield-Vehicles

Edited by Graham Boak

The old Airfix Magazine Guide 27 "Modelling RAF Vehicles" (Gerald Scarborough, PSL, 1977) might come in handy as well. Certainly cheaper.

This is OK but does not cover anything to do with colour schemes.

Selwyn

Someone from the Airfix Tribute Forum may be able to help here with a link - I seem to remember downloading the Robertson/Airfix mag series from the website some time ago, and I have it as a series of pdfs. I can't find the link though.....

I also happen to have most of the mags in question - perhaps I scanned them in myself......it's so hard to remember sometimes....!

Edited by Paul Bradley

Try your local library.

Even if Cambs do not have it in their county stock then you can order it on an inter-library loan.

It will cost something between £3 and £5, best book bargain for odd titles that you can ever get.

I do lots of this through the Kent library service, they are excellent.

Normally you get it for three weeks, but usually you can extend that to six.

Gives you plenty of time to browse.....

John

• 3 months later...

Although not specifically RAF vehicles, didnt 'Inkpen' produce about 10 booklet concerning military vehicles ?

I know there were lots of photos, scale drawings and good write-ups . . . . just cant think of the authors name . . . . .

they were similar to the Bellona range but a larger A4 format . . . . authors name ? Mike Conniford !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-Vehicle-Pamphlet-Number-1-Bedford-OY-Mike-Conniford-/170728853702?hash=item27c03b90c6:m:mrmBVEXM6qea1JTn8r_NCuA