Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen

I keep being tempted by the AK interactive aircraft FAQ, do you recommend it?

I would. It's a superb support book. It is great in the sense that it gives different methods and techniques, along with all types of tools and paints required to achieve the finishes. I think the best part is that it gets the ball rolling. You can use each method shown in your own way and build off them to achieve exactly what you want. You need not do exactly what the book shows but use it as guidelines. It's expensive but I can see myself using this book forever, always coming back and referencing. It is packed full of information on just about anything you would ever need for aircraft. From WWI cockpit and wood grain to modern jet fighter cockpits. Tips to weather interiors and exteriors and even how to plumb radial engines and add some scratch details.

I could go on. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Harrison

Great work

Super work Harrison!

Great build so far.

I went for wings un-folded just to make my life a little easier and OOB.

I have 2 more of these kits and the next one will be wings folded and after market and lots of additional detailing.

Thanks all.

Just a note about the MLG inner doors, they were indeed closed on the ground, they opened up when the gear was selected up to allow the legs to retract in to the gear bay then closed after them, (sequences valves did their magic). Indecently, the starboard inner MLG door had to be opened manually to prime the hydraulics prior to starting the engines and closed post priming.

Great build so far, looking forward to seeing more of this fab build.

Bob.

• Like 2

Just a note about the MLG inner doors, they were indeed closed on the ground, they opened up when the gear was selected up to allow the legs to retract in to the gear bay then closed after them, (sequences valves did their magic). Indecently, the starboard inner MLG door had to be opened manually to prime the hydraulics prior to starting the engines and closed post priming.

Great build so far, looking forward to seeing more of this fab build.

Bob.

True, but if you want to show off the details in the U/C bay, you could say that the A/C is under maintenance and that's why the doors are open on the ground. :coolio:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of update. Been busy. Started a new job and am getting everything put together for school, starting in just a month. :frantic:

On another note I am planning on doing the 137 of No.899 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Eagle. I was wondering what its typical load out would be for this.

Thanks,

Harrison

Depends on mission. They almost always flew with both tanks (or one tank and a buddy refuelling pack) - especially from a deck. A "normal" training load-out would be the tanks plus a single Red Top, usually on the innermost starboard pylon, though two Red Tops (one per wing) was not uncommon. In wartime, 4, obviously.

Or the tanks plus up to four rocket pods.

P.S. Some good shots of 899 aircraft here: http://www.seavixen.org/image-gallery/899-squadron/category/10-899-sqn(some showing loads pretty clearly)

I particularly like that time exposure of the night deck landing.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here she is with some paint and her gloss coats. I am about half way finished decaling but with school about to start I fear I will be unable to finish this before. I plan to attempt salt weathering for the first time, so fingers crossed for that. I will hopefully get some decal pictures up tomorrow or Tuesday. Enjoy.

IMG_1035_zpsausho1om.jpg

IMG_1036_zps5fijydng.jpg

Cheers and happy modelling,

Harrison

• Like 3

Gosh thats smooth! Mind explaining what paints you've used and your set up?

I am using an Iwata Revolution CR for the majority of my airbrushing, however my Harder and Steenbeck CR+ Two in One, will show up very shortly in this build for the finer things. The compressor is a Sparmax TC-620 and shooting at about 18-20 psi. I primed the Sea Vixen first with MIG Ammo Primer because it is sandable and acrylic (more or less) however its finish is a little rough for aircraft, I think. Once I am done my sanding and filling touch ups I prime it a second time with Vallejo primer which gives an absolutely superb finish. (If a company could combine the two primers and keep them acrylic I would buy all the stock they had) After priming it was your standard everyday procedure for spraying Tamiya acrylics. I truly believe it is down to that Vallejo primer and the awesome finish it gives.

The two primers:

MIG Ammo - Great for sanding and quick dry time and pretty good finish. It is a bit rough in some cases, personally, however still very good and I'd recommend them highly.

Vallejo - Not so good for sanding as is. However I did see in a video on Genessis Models that by spraying a layer of Future over it stops the peeling problem and makes it more sanding friendly. But the finish is second to none, in my opinion, at least for acrylic primers.

That's pretty much it. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Harrison

• Like 1

(If a company could combine the two primers and keep them acrylic I would buy all the stock they had)

MIG Ammo - Great for sanding and quick dry time and pretty good finish. It is a bit rough in some cases, personally, however still very good and I'd recommend them highly.

Vallejo - Not so good for sanding as is. However I did see in a video on Genessis Models that by spraying a layer of Future over it stops the peeling problem and makes it more sanding friendly. But the finish is second to none, in my opinion, at least for acrylic primers.

That's pretty much it. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Harrison

The wonder primer you are looking for is Badgers 'Stynlrez'.

http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/144-primer-under-coat

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 1

Looking excellent. If you don't mind, may I ask the question people always ask for this colour: what did you use for your ESDG? You said Tamiya, but which colour? It's a lot bluer than all their greys that I have come across.

• Like 1

Great build , the Vallejo surface primers are rubbish in my opinion , just does not bond to plastic and cant be sanded :(

Binned the three bottles i had in case i was tempted to try it again .

They are rubbish for that reason. But that smooth, flat, level surface they give is what I like. I only put down the Vallejo when I know I won't need to sand anything.

Looking excellent. If you don't mind, may I ask the question people always ask for this colour: what did you use for your ESDG? You said Tamiya, but which colour? It's a lot bluer than all their greys that I have come across.

Yeah the EDSG was an old bottle of Gunze Aquieous hobby colour. Had it for at least 10 years now.

• Like 1