Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen

As promised on one of the Sea Vixen builds, it has inspired my first real WIP topic here. With this beautiful beast:

IMG_0887_zps39axff6r.jpg

Hope to get some work on this done and posted by tomorrow.

Cheers

Harrison

Edited by harrison90
  • Like 4

In my opinion, wings unfolded.

I've got one in my stash, and it will be with the wings unfolded. I think it spoils the look of the plane having the wings folded, it ruins the lines.

Just my twopenneth.

Matt

• Like 3

Well, first update. Most of the cockpit done. Painted with Tamiya acrylics and a fine brush for the small stuff. The seats are in the mail and should hopefully arrive tomorrow. As to the kit. I think it is quite superb. I mean, I remember the Airfix kits of old and the fact that most were more filler than plastic with little to no detail to speak of, shows the leap forward that Airfix underwent a few years back. This kit has good fit and detail, although not Tamiya, it is very respectable. And as my build will hopefully go to prove, that with some careful painting and construction this can build into a great looking Sea Vixen straight out of the box. (Although I am adding some of my own details and AM seats) :innocent:

IMG_0944_zpsekuvyco0.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsuujxwnzs.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsnnzprlo8.jpg

IMG_0955_zpsepfc4zqb.jpg

IMG_0956_zps8i4qgeqn.jpg

IMG_0957_zpsucdmbdce.jpg

IMG_0958_zpsjrclrpww.jpg

IMG_0959_zpst5licrpy.jpg\

IMG_0960_zpst3wdwnuj.jpg

IMG_0961_zpsyzo2ggmp.jpg

IMG_0962_zpsiqqfotke.jpg

IMG_0963_zpsrylcouq6.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsark8gnwn.jpg

IMG_0965_zpsytvxx6fp.jpg

[/url]

IMG_0966_zpshxnd8int.jpg

The radar scope was done by placing punched out Tamiya tape discs and the covered in two thickish coats of clear yellow. The few wires I added are lead wire and the couple leavers in the center of the cockpit are made from styrene and Brita filter spheres. Hope you all like. Please feel free to speak openly.

Cheers,

Harrison

Edited by harrison90
  • Like 8

That looks excellent. If you're looking for a bit more colour, then the gauges on the horizontal bit ahead of the throttles (pilot's left hand, almost up against the panel itself) were hydraulics gauges - can't remember which was which, but the systems were colour coded;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973210-de-havilland-sea-vixen-faw1-890nas-hms-ark-royal-1963-4/?p=1836642. (Scroll down in post #12)

See my FAW1 for details!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

That looks excellent. If you're looking for a bit more colour, then the gauges on the horizontal bit ahead of the throttles (pilot's left hand, almost up against the panel itself) were hydraulics gauges - can't remember which was which, but the systems were colour coded;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973210-de-havilland-sea-vixen-faw1-890nas-hms-ark-royal-1963-4/?p=1836642. (Scroll down in post #12)

See my FAW1 for details!

Thanks, sir. Will be adding those colours today.

Cheers

Harrison

Lookin' good, I've just scored me one of these, so I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

You will not be disappointed. It is a lovely kit and I have only done the cockpit. I have also acquired the 1/48 English Electric Lightning that Airfix did at the same time as this kit. Should be great.

Cheers

Harrison

Sorry for the slow progress. The seats I misunderstood when they would arrive but they should show up tomorrow. However I will have to deal with them after a visit to one of my favourite hobby shops. :yahoo: Have managed to add some extra detail to the gear and wheel wells. All done with lead wire, some Albion Alloys tubing and aluminium tape, used on HVAC ducts. I used some reference photos and a bit of artistic license. The cockpit instruments got a coat of Micro Kristal Klear to give the appearance of glass. Plus have done the exhausts and intake done up pretty simply but you don't really see it when done anyway. Hope you all enjoy.

IMG_0967_zpscxpqknio.jpg

IMG_0985_zpsnmkrfrr4.jpg

IMG_0986_zpsfgcn1jze.jpg

IMG_0987_zpsgjjrhhfq.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsl3gpo0c4.jpg

IMG_0989_zpsf658n8aw.jpg

IMG_0990_zpsxdhf7ag4.jpg

IMG_0991_zpssm0po2ip.jpg

IMG_0992_zpsbgyobtxy.jpg

IMG_0993_zpskaaheb10.jpg

Cheers,

Harrison

• Like 6

Harrison, just remember that the Vixens main gear doors are all shut unless the gearing is cycling :)

Dont want you using up material if your going to cover it.

Yes. I meant to say, I do really like the little notes in the instruction booklet that tell you the variable positions of doors, flaps and alike when the aircraft is different states of flight or on the ground. I think you will still be able to see it with the door shut... Just. :innocent:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Harrison

Hey, small update here. Just made myself some placards. I got the idea from the AK Interactive Aircraft FAQ book. Basically all I did was cut some aluminium tape to the shape and size I wanted then painted the background. Once dry I took a fine paintbrush and white paint and added some streaks to give the impression of writing. As long as you don't get a magnifying glass they actually look the part quite well. Hope you enjoy.

IMG_1000_zpsjqahpjwe.jpg

IMG_1001_zpskmhyvj9k.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsk547qdqz.jpg

IMG_1002_zpsdkrdjdsj.jpg

Cheers,

Harrison

• Like 3