This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

The Navy trialled three Skeeters, WF112, WF113 and WF114 around 1950/51. The trials didn't go anywhere and the Skeeters were handed/sold back to Saro and subsequently went to the AAC.

I picked up this Aeroclub kit at SMW a year or so ago and it is an engaging little thing. The WIP is quite far along as I didn't keep a record and I have only just managed to sort out photobucket. It's mixed media, injected, white metal (including the cockpit which makes it stand on its tricycle undercart) and a vac formed canopy.

It's a little stalled mainly as I attacking a couple of Hurricanes for the Battle of Britain GB and my inmate fear of vac formed canopies. But here is the little fellow so far. It is tiny, about 3 inches long. It's built pretty much OOB with a little detailing in the cockpit and some of the drive details.

DSCF3761_zps2tio5ucf.jpg

The drive details are from a corner of plastic packing smoothed out with filler while the drive wheel is a circular piece of plastic mounted on wire.

DSCF3760_zpstjnoccoh.jpg

The fire extinguisher is a Blenheim anti personnel bomb trimmed, the instrument panel wires are indeed wires and the straps Tamiya Tape, with the cyclic a piece of wire. Aluminium paint is brushed on Revell aluminium thoroughly thinned with Flow Improver.

DSCF3759_zpsqeofwbea.jpg

DSCF3757_zpsi5ctidsu.jpg

Great work on such a small thing.

That looks like great fun

I curse the day at SMW when I walked past John's stand and didnt pick up one of the remaining two :(

Especially since our own General Melchett DID :banghead:

Then bought it back to show me AND GLOAT

I like what you've done so far, smashing work

Lovely. I had no idea the FAA tested the Skeeter - but I can see why it went nowhere. The thought of trying to do anything useful from a ship in one of those? Not to mention night deck landings...