A Kette of Stukas - Fujimi Junkers Ju87B x 3

Thanks very much gents :D

I assembled the undercarriage units:

DSCN3988.jpg

... I think I will tack these on until the primer has been applied and then remove them for painting to save myself a tricky masking job. I added the r/t mast and rear gun to the rear canopies:

DSCN3985.jpg

... added the tailplanes - but not their support struts, which will save another tricky masking job:

DSCN3990.jpg

,,, and finally fitted the rear canopy parts:

DSCN3992.jpg

Next I will fit the 'breaky-offy' bits: the underside aerial and aileron mass balances... and see how many I can keep attached for when the model is ready for priming... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Nice job Stew :)

Not fitting the tailplane struts is a good idea and in the tip box. Presumably you had them there while the glue dried?

• Like 1

Your Kette + 1 is on a good way

One thought : I guess you can differ a B-1 and a later B-2 crashed, the B-1 had metal propellers the B-2 not, they were made from compressed wood.

Good work so far, i never came so far with my Fujimi Ju 87 for some reason.

• Like 1

Looking at the last photo, I can see you getting on wheelie well Stew :)

• Like 3

Hi Stew,

The models are taking shape beautifully. Looking forward to seeing some paint on them :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, me too, I haven't had a lot of time to work on them in the last couple of weeks and I'm keen to get on...

Nice job Stew :)

Not fitting the tailplane struts is a good idea and in the tip box. Presumably you had them there while the glue dried?

Thanks Ced, I dry-fitted the struts for the first one just to confirm the tailplane angles are 90o to the fin (as they are of course) but I didn't bother with the subsequent ones, I just set them by eye - the fact that each strut has about 6 connection points to the sprue, all of which need cleaning up, may have influenced my decision :lol:

Your Kette + 1 is on a good way

One thought : I guess you can differ a B-1 and a later B-2 crashed, the B-1 had metal propellers the B-2 not, they were made from compressed wood.

Good work so far, i never came so far with my Fujimi Ju 87 for some reason.

Thanks Bernd; I've actually got the metal-bladed prop (the olive coloured resin one) for the B-1 which I liberated from a Quickboost set for the early Ju88 on the assumption that they both used the same props since the 87 and the 88 both evolved from narrow metal prop blades to broader compressed wood ones. I think I understand what you mean about not getting so far with your Fujimi kit, I have to say it is not the most enjoyable build I have ever had and I am slightly concerned this might show in the final result... I don't know how the Revell kit compares but the Fujimi seems to make hard work of almost every stage of construction without obviously trying to do so :lol:

Looking at the last photo, I can see you getting on wheelie well Stew :)

Shame on you Joe, for such a dreadful pun, but thanks :D

Good progress Stew.

Time for painting then! I look forward to seeing the results.

Craig.

Thanks Craig, I still need to attach some fiddly bits (all of which will no doubt need cleaning up first) before I can get the primer on, but yes, soon I hope it will be paint time B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Good morning, guess your Stukas will be stunning looking kits, the Revell/Italeri Ju 87 B/R kits are not perfect either, but more fun to build.

The biggest problem ( for me ) is the canopy, the frames of it, are molded as a "frosted" line on the clear parts and they are way to thick.

Most of the framework was actually inside of the plexiglass, this will look wrong.

Hope the coming Airfix Ju 87 B will be a way better kit. happy modelling with your Stukas :)

• Like 1

Just catching this now Stew ( The group section is somewhere I never visit for some reason ). Have to say, your figure painting and canopy masking are still aces.

Sorry to hear about Jack - have a friend up in Vancouver who has min pin with the exact condition. As you say though, deal with it daily and the pup doesn't seen effected.

• Like 1

Thanks gents, if I can get the little bits attached in the week hopefully I can get on with the painting at the weekend... :D

Thanks Mike, min pin = Miniature Pinscher? It does seem to be a condition which affects small dogs and it does seem a bit of an evolutionary dead end* but as discussed at least it can be managed.

Cheers,

Stew

* A genetic mutation which if untreated would lead to blindness in the host would be ensuring its own non-survival in the wild, so targetting domestic pets was really a stroke of evil genius

• Like 3

Miniature Pinscher indeed.

I found myself staring into the eyes of my two wee ones this morning, checking on things, but not absolutely sure what signs I would be looking for of course. They got bored and headed off, looking for a squirrel that needed barking at.

• Like 2

Don't worry Mike, you'd know it if it was there, the eyes get quite a lot of snotty-looking mucus in them and while it isn't present all the time (as it is blinked away or washed out by tears) it's there every day, especially in the mornings - I noticed it very quickly once it occurred in Jack and it was only my ignorance that stopped it being treated immediately. Fortunately even I figured out that something was amiss after about a week and took him to the vets. Most small dogs will never get it, so don't be surprised if you don't find it :)

All I have done on the Ju87s is tacked on the wheel spats with PVA, I still need to add the aerial and aileron mass balances before priming... might get that done this weekend but I doubt before then... this constant state of worn-out irritability is starting to make me question my suitability for my job; if it is like this all year round I am not going to make it to the end of the first year.

Ah well, onwards and upwards :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

this constant state of worn-out irritability is starting to make me question my suitability for my job; if it is like this all year round I am not going to make it to the end of the first year.

I think that is what jobs are supposed to do to one Stew. As much as I really enjoy my field ( travel ) there are days where I think it is a miracle I have not just gone up a tower with a high powered rifle.

• Like 1

Don't worry Mike, you'd know it if it was there, the eyes get quite a lot of snotty-looking mucus in them and while it isn't present all the time (as it is blinked away or washed out by tears) it's there every day, especially in the mornings - I noticed it very quickly once it occurred in Jack and it was only my ignorance that stopped it being treated immediately. Fortunately even I figured out that something was amiss after about a week and took him to the vets. Most small dogs will never get it, so don't be surprised if you don't find it :)

All I have done on the Ju87s is tacked on the wheel spats with PVA, I still need to add the aerial and aileron mass balances before priming... might get that done this weekend but I doubt before then... this constant state of worn-out irritability is starting to make me question my suitability for my job; if it is like this all year round I am not going to make it to the end of the first year.

Ah well, onwards and upwards :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Amen to the last comment, which very accurately described precisely my feelings toward my new position. Don't let it grind you down . . . this is why God invented modelling, gin and hobbies in general!

• Like 1

Thank you very much gents; I had a word with my manager yesterday and he assured me we are going through "a spike" of activity at the moment so I think I can press on, it was the thought that it might be like this all year round that, to borrow an ancient phrase, 'unmanned'* me.

I hope to get some modelling done this afternoon... :)

Cheers,

Stew

verb (used with object), unmanned, unmanning.

to deprive of courage or fortitude; break down the manly spirit of:
Constant conflict finally unmanned him.
to deprive of virility; emasculate; castrate.

...Yes, all of those.

• Like 3

this constant state of worn-out irritability is starting to make me question my suitability for my job; if it is like this all year round I am not going to make it to the end of the first year.

This is likely unhelpful, but...when I worked in a call center, after a time, when people knocked on my door, I would automatically respond with the standard phone greeting rather than answering the door. I am rather more tightly wound than you, however (to say the least), so you may yet persevere; I managed four years.

• Like 2

Being unmanned sounds painful.... however I like the word and will now try to fit it into conversation as much as possible! (should be easier than the last word I tried, peragrate.... 'to travel over or through'... easy meaning but you don't half get some questions asked)

Glad to hear it's just a spike stew, and I hope you can plough through it.

Rob

• Like 2

Stew, these Stukas are first class! I love that plane and I haven't finished one yet!

And there you are doing three! Do I get a slight feeling of inadequacy?

Re work, I wouldn't worry if I were you! It has been invented so that we always look on the other side of the fence and feel like we made the wrong career move...

I sure feel like that, when I am squelching in the mud in some nasty, hot rain forest in the middle of nowhere... I should have listened to my Mom!

But back to basics and congrats on your work so far!

JR

• Like 1