EMB-314 Super Tucano

I have been a forum member for a while, but have yet to post much of my modelling and certainly not an In progress build.

Won a few of these in an auction so decided to break my silence and post as I go.

411518195.jpg

Bought for the purpose of retraining returning modellers and advancing tyros among our modelling group. A bit of a clean sheet for me too, with no particular interest in the aircraft except it's a great looking bird of the turbo-prop trainer/COIN in the class of Pilatus PC-9A, Beechcraft/DH Texan II and of course the original EMB/Shorts Tucano variants.

411518197.jpg

411518196.jpg

411518199.jpg

411518477.jpg

This model is to be a pass around example so the correct alignment and general disposition of parts and assemblies may be seen, so apart from the interior it's to be grey plastic. Commence assembly by the numbers.

The front undercarriage bay.

411518480.jpg

Interior bits with some colour.

411518479.jpg

Wing attachment points.

411518481.jpg

One attachment point is on the leading edge glueing face. Much easier to clean up than traditional

411518562.jpg

The etch was covered both sides with a lightly adhesive film. I'd not seen that previously.

411518563.jpg

More as it transpires. Please feel free to pass comment.

Grant

• Like 1

Anther winter Sunday.

A mockup assembly was in order to test the balance point which proved it is a definite tail-sitter in need of nose weight. However the construction of the nose is such that it allows access to fit ballast after airframe assembly, so I'll weight it later. Back the marker light with a bit of alfoil, fit the nose wheel bay.

411520798.jpg

The the test fit was so precise, all was needed to join the fuselage halves was to capillary glue section by section with clamps applied when needed. A little light sanding, some filler was in the form of correction fluid was required on the dorsal air intake.

411520799.jpg

I plugged the fuselage ahead of the cockpit tub with some dark packing foam to eliminate see-through. Be wary of damaging the moulded on antennae, in these days, why?

411520801.jpg

The wings fit well enough, tho it's not a snap fit. Keep an eye on the alignment until set. Tail planes fitted well, their leading edge extensions not so. As for the ventral strakes, they have vague fit, just an outline on the fuselage. Getting them symmetrical was quite the task.

411520806.jpg

411520805.jpg

More sooner or later.

Grant

Thanks arfa. I'm sure you'll enjoy the build too.

The undercarriage was very nicely engineered. Legs and retraction yokes all spliced together in great alignment.

411520910.jpg

Now they are set and hardened, I'll make a small kitchen film packet of bird-shot until the airframe sits squarely nose down.

411520909.jpg

For future reference, my model required 22 grams.

Packet plugged in place with poster putty, dark foam works for the intake. :)

411520908.jpg

So far it has been a pleasant build for my old hands and eyes.

I'll work on the seats and propellor next.

Grant

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks passed with me just fiddling about with the model and I discover my phone camera doesn't take good photos.

So dig out the camera and make some catch-up photos.

A fine winters day in Perth West Oz.

411570115.jpg

The parts fit very well. Test fit and glue. So long as the mating surfaces are clean, the fit is exemplary.

411570116.jpg

Nose weight worked out well. It will tail sit, but undisturbed is nose heavy.

411570114.jpg

A bit of shrinkage on the port leading edge, I used super thin glue here.

411570112.jpg

The starb'd wing was joined with Mr. Cement and remain unsunken.

411570113.jpg

I still have a little way to go before I apply paint. That was a decision that was easy to make. Hopefully that will be taken care of this weekend before we lapse back into cool, rainy weather.

More as it occurs.

Grant

• Like 1

Perth in winter,......now that is just showing off!! Here in Lancashire in the UK during high summer it is lashing down with rain!!

If it were cheaper I`d like to make this kit as an RAF WHIFF,......what scheme are you doing,.....it would look great as a WHIFF RAAF FAC trainer, as a replacement for the PC-6 in overall grey with dark grey markings!

Keep up the good work and don`t get too sunburnt,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Ooh, RAN/RAAF WHIF Admirals barge would be nice Tony.

I'll likely do the Brazil grey/green scheme for this one, tho' an Indonesian Shark-mouth is calling. A friend is getting a decal set from there, so perhaps. Another friend has decals for the Honduran 'pixel' scheme. Jealous.

I see there is colour p/e available, control columns and exhausts to enhance the model, but have yet to find an MB MK16 in the right config for this aircraft, tho' Ibex resin seats for their Texan II seem to be correct. I'll keep hunting around.

Should the rain that threatens arrives tonight, painting may be delayed a few days. Its not always sunny and 23c here but when it is, it is for days.

Grant

• 2 months later...

Embraer EMB-314 Super 3

After a hiatus of some months, my modelling being diverted to repair and restoration of some old models. A bit of a waste of time except for the experience.

I have been fiddling with the EMB-314 during the period, but not recording it. Mainly keeping up with the shrinking seams on the wing and eventually the fuselage. Fixed with Mr. Something 1500 black.

411875616.jpg

It seems since my last post, I've also painted the airframe in colours for FAB service. The camouflage edges look a little too soft.

411875665.jpg

The colours recommended in the instructions, translated into Tamiya square bottle enamels are used XF-14 J.A. grey and XF-26 deep green.

411875614.jpg

Looking at the interior with a view to using some Eduard colour pe on the ejection seats head boxes and Quickboost control sticks.

Back soon.

Grant

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

That went poorly. 

Well, back in 2015 I had to rework my hobby space to accommodate a bed for a series of visitors and it was wonderful to have young relatives come to stay. 
However, a couple of projects went AWOL or were damaged. The the two which concern my participation on B/M, a 1/32 scale E-Type vanished and my in-progress 1/48 scale Toucano lost an undercarriage strut and wheel in a subsequent change of address. 
Then I retired and we downsized for economy. 
Unpacking took time so only recently moved them into my new hobby space. The E-Type resurfaced from among some paints and brushes. I was preparing to sacrifice my spare Toucano kit for u/c OR making the doors fit closed for an in-flight desk topper. Though I wanted that model to be in the air show scheme. Sigh, so I went onto something else.

When a happy discovery was made while folding the seats in my wagon, the missing u/c parts. Between finding them and reuniting them to the model I managed to separate the wheel from the strut. Sigh.

Paper clips. 

413537735.jpg

413537734.jpg
Assessing other damage, the rear cockpit cowl came unglued, several moulded-in antennae were bent but the model was relatively intact. A delivery of very nice resin corrections by AVM Models provide the missing belly pack and accurate rear cockpit cowl. 

More much sooner than last update.

• Like 1