Eduard 1/32 Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Weekend Edition"- "Build Update #4" (8.18.15)

Hello Guys,

Because I have to wait 8 weeks now for the missing part and damaged part to arrive from Revell Germany for my Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa, I'm now going to start a new kit that will be my 2nd entry into "Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary GB" both on here and on YouTube- hosted by Ukscalemodeller and CharlesScaleModelling.

This is Eduard's "Weekend Edition" of this model. You can buy what is called a "Profi-Pak" version that is more glitzier, that includes a full color booklet, photo-etch and more color/marking options.

This kit was kindly given to me by a modeling buddy and so the sprues had already been taken out of their bags and some parts had been removed from their sprues.

The Box is made from a two-ply card base and a single-ply lid making it very sturdy, which I prefer moreso than the single ply Revell boxes that open at one end.

IMG_1966_zpspd8gjdzl.jpg

The box contains a 8 page black and white instruction/assembly/painting and decaling booklet. Only one option of color/markings is offered, that of Major Otto Bertram's aircraft who was a Luftwaffe ace fighter pilot with 22 kills credited to him that earned him the "Knights Cross of the Iron Cross"....

greatnewsphotoottobertramobv1_zpsd1hriid

The instructions look straight-forward and the color call outs are for Mr. Color and Hobby Color only, so conversions to your preferred paint will be necessary.

Front Page 1 and Back Page 8

IMG_1967_zpsqr8ukrva.jpg

Pages 2 and 3

IMG_1968_zpsfvs9p3wc.jpg

Pages 4 and 5

IMG_1969_zpsvnhyouwy.jpg

Pages 6 and 7

IMG_1970_zpsphv8vkvw.jpg

There are two sheets of decals/stencils that are very thin, nicely registered, almost zero carrier film around the edges and they are a nice satin/matt finish.

Decal Sheet

IMG_1971_zpsk0acrlbq.jpg

Stencil Sheet

IMG_1972_zpsrkcx58qn.jpg

The kit comes with 6 olive colored sprues and one clear sprue, but as mentioned earlier, because this kit was given to me, the sprues had been taken apart. But, here are photos of all the parts on their sprues or removed with some close ups too, to show the nice fine panel line and rivet details and also how nicely molded these parts are. There is zero flash on the majority of these parts, with the tiniest amount in a few places. The parts are crisp and clean with zero warping/distortion and ejector pin marks are absent from seen surfaces. One thing that I'm excited about is that this kit includes a Daimler-Benz DB601N engine and removable cowlings to display it if you wish to do so, unlike the Revell 1/32 BF109G-10 build I did recently that didn't include one...

IMG_1986_zpsdyz9lsk1.jpg

IMG_1973_zpsvtovciij.jpg

IMG_1980_zpsgjau5vei.jpg

IMG_1974_zpsqn43jhvs.jpg

IMG_1978_zpstnicmqok.jpg

IMG_1979_zpsrqw6fyfe.jpg

IMG_1975_zpsy40uofdn.jpg

IMG_1983_zpsmmrnk651.jpg

IMG_1985_zpsd4u3x6bf.jpg

IMG_1976_zpsbftu0rbd.jpg

IMG_1977_zpsavdjyz9j.jpg

IMG_1982_zpsjorus7ks.jpg

IMG_1981_zpsncdhjh06.jpg

IMG_1984_zpsjszr19qa.jpg

The Clear Sprue is very clear with thin molded parts that include riveted frame details. They are free of any aberrations and very little distortion of image when looking through them...

IMG_1987_zpsdx1wxa7h.jpg

IMG_1988_zpsjnuzmh0r.jpg

IMG_1989_zpsqai2s8rv.jpg

IMG_1990_zpsml1dmaco.jpg

At first sight, this kit looks like a really nice kit, well engineered and excellently molded, although it would have been nice to have one or two more options of color/markings.

This kit is available from on-line USA distributors for $35.85, which is about 24.00 quid in the UK, which is $12.00 (8.00 quid) more than I paid for the Revell 1/32 BF109G-10, although the Revell kit didn't have an engine and open cowling options. At the end of this build, I'll let you know my thoughts on how well it goes together and compare it to the Revell kit I built to establish my personal opinion on whether it is good value for money.

Okay, with that out of the way, I can now go and wash the parts in readiness to make a start on her next Monday! I have the grandson coming soon and he's here until Sunday evening!

In the meantime, if you'd like to see my YouTube "In-Box-Review" video for this kit, here is the link:

https://youtu.be/H23GCnQS9os

Happy modelling and have fun!

Cheers :drink:

Martin : )

Edited by UKguyInUSA

Eduard "Weekend Edition" 1/32 Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Build Update #1"

Hello Guys,

Well, I made a start on this baby on Tuesday and managed to get a few sub-assemblies built up and painted!

I started by washing the parts as always and let them air-dry. Once dry, I removed parts for the inner fuselage wall assemblies from the sprues laid them on my table, then assembled the inner walls and glued them into their corresponding fuselage halves. I also assembled the fuselage radiator housing that fits beneath the engine and then glued it into the starboard fuselage half;

IMG_1992_zpsmy3ofyre.jpg

IMG_1993_zpskvhbdpso.jpg

IMG_1994_zpsakpnkkep.jpg

IMG_1995_zpsqsgnohue.jpg

Next, I removed the rear wheel location inserts from the sprues and glued them into the tail ends of the fuselage halves;

IMG_1996_zpstvx1bhsc.jpg

IMG_1997_zps98duepcg.jpg

I then moved onto the Engine assembly, by first, removing the parts from the sprues and preparing/sanding the gate vestiges smooth, then gluing everything together;

IMG_1998_zps7wjavkn7.jpg

IMG_1999_zpsrxn3cfpx.jpg

IMG_2000_zps44yxck2t.jpg

IMG_2020_zpsxufuociu.jpg

IMG_2021_zpsib3buexm.jpg

Next was the engine bulkhead/firewall/electrical cabinet and machine gun mount assembly;

IMG_2001_zpstr2qvrfb.jpg

IMG_2002_zpsayqwvuyu.jpg

IMG_2003_zpseqfiit98.jpg

Following that sub-assembly, I then got all the pieces together for the wing assembly and put those together:

IMG_2004_zpssu3pba2d.jpg

IMG_2005_zpshwmlzodk.jpg

IMG_2006_zpsgbd5xihm.jpg

IMG_2007_zpscaceiycx.jpg

This was followed by assembling the drop tank, horizontal stabilizers and elevators:

IMG_2008_zpszsooywgg.jpg

IMG_2009_zps8qnq8mts.jpg

It was now time to assemble all the parts within the cockpit:

IMG_2010_zpsmnjhvw6e.jpg

IMG_2011_zpsp7ktejom.jpg

IMG_2012_zpsjnkrbnoy.jpg

IMG_2013_zpscvuq84c1.jpg

IMG_2014_zpstypitdtg.jpg

Lastly, I assembled the flaps:

IMG_2018_zpsfixhc1vo.jpg

IMG_2019_zpslnouz3av.jpg

It was now time to begin painting! I started off by airbrushing a black base coat onto all the interior parts and some of the external sub-assembly components, then followed that by airbrushing a RLM 02 onto all internal parts:

IMG_2022_zpskpmgrk33.jpg

IMG_2023_zpsstzmb2nx.jpg

IMG_2027_zps9ry5cxbi.jpg

I then airbrushed aluminum onto the propeller assembly components, the oil tank and engine support mounts;

IMG_2030_zpsm8mjkeej.jpg

After that, I allowed everything to dry on my table and checked how it was looking so far:

IMG_2032_zpsg3gr3xd0.jpg

I could begin detailing the sub-assemblies now everything had dried, and so, I started with the engine, painting it, then adding the exhaust stubs, coolant tank and some hoses:

IMG_2033_zpsehnruayy.jpg

IMG_2035_zpspkmqbcmd.jpg

IMG_2036_zpsxnu526kv.jpg

IMG_2038_zps6xsw9jex.jpg

IMG_2048_zpsm7wuzqiy.jpg

IMG_2050_zpsbilh9cvd.jpg

IMG_2051_zps9doi6mvb.jpg

Following the engine, I detail painted the cockpit interior, then using some stretched sprue, I fabricated and fitted a hose for the Oxygen regulator and painted that blue. I added some delicate aluminum chipping to weather it a little;

IMG_2040_zpsxubirisn.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsiudmnnz3.jpg

IMG_2042_zpscsld6z75.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsjbon5zzv.jpg

IMG_2055_zpss8kvv4jo.jpg

Next, I detail painted the engine bulkhead/firewall/electrical cabinets and machine gun mount assembly, followed by detailing the internal walls of the fuselage halves;

IMG_2052_zpsdnxrjkoj.jpg

IMG_2053_zpstr1i9trt.jpg

IMG_2046_zpsubyem2nb.jpg

IMG_2047_zpsmxcsayck.jpg

And, after all that, I laid everything out on my table to check the progress achieved for this update and took some photos;

IMG_2065_zpshjzjvne4.jpg

IMG_2060_zpsmi8qomeb.jpg

IMG_2059_zpspcqu15z1.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsmqhchb5s.jpg

IMG_2061_zpsagr3ht6c.jpg

IMG_2062_zpsflvcgi9y.jpg

Well, that's it for this update, more to come soon! In the meantime, if you'd like to watch my YouTube "Build Update #1" video for this project, here is the link to that:

https://youtu.be/54TGIdJMXTc

Thanks in advance for taking a look and leaving comments, much appreciated!

Until "Build Update #2", take care, happy modeling, have fun and enjoy this coming weekend! :th: :)

Martin

• Like 2

Hi Martin,

I like the way you are putting this BF together. Nice photograpy too. Can't comment on accuracy, not into WWII myself :)

Will be following in with interest.

Cheers Evert

Thanks Evert, much appreciated! I've read reviews stating that it's a pretty accurate representation of the BF109E-3, but, I don't get concerned about taking my micrometer and vernier caliper set out, along with my height gauge and slip gauges to check those details....if it looks like a BF109E-3 to me, I'm happy.

Cheers,

Martin :)

Eduard "Weekend Edition" 1/32 Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Build Update #2"

After a few days, I managed to get some more done on this "baby", but, things happened that I didn't expect to happen with a kit who's reviews that I had read about it were positive and praiseful...hmm?

Anyway, leading off from where I finished with "Build Update #1", it was time to airbrush a gloss clear coat over the previously painted parts so that I could add the instrument panel decals, a dirt wash and some delicate wear and tear/chipping....

IMG_2070_zpsuz8frvy1.jpg

IMG_2071_zps7vfmq5cv.jpg

First, I applied the decal to the lower instrument panel, which was followed by applying the decal to the upper instrument panel:

IMG_2072_zpsidlvpkfn.jpg

IMG_2073_zpsljwdnqau.jpg

IMG_2074_zpschmatrzs.jpg

IMG_2075_zpsgafmv0t0.jpg

I then mixed a dirt wash using a small pea sized amount of black oil paint, a smidgeon of white oil paint thinned down with odorless mineral spirits. I then brushed it liberally over all of the painted and clear coated parts and left it to dry for 30 minutes;

IMG_2076_zpsybnnnvbp.jpg

IMG_2077_zpswbi76ox2.jpg

I then rubbed the excess of using cotton buds/Q-Tips, but left enough on to give a nice worn, dirty appearance. I then laid everything out on the table to see how it all looked before I moved on to the next step which was to be some delicate chipping effects using Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum...

IMG_2078_zpsjvtiiymz.jpg

IMG_2079_zpsxzbknrk2.jpg

IMG_2080_zpsfc4h4ntn.jpg

IMG_2081_zpsb0ez9xwz.jpg

I was happy with how the sub-assemblies looked, and so I moved onto assembling the engine to the bulkhead/firewall, using the engine mounting brackets, I also fitted a hose to the filler cap. Super-glue is recommended for doing this to achieve a fast and solid bond;

IMG_2082_zpskyk4dtqw.jpg

IMG_2083_zpsnjmqouar.jpg

IMG_2084_zpssaomd24p.jpg

IMG_2085_zpsqzsaloyb.jpg

IMG_2086_zpstixzykyf.jpg

It was now time to assemble the engine into the bay, and here is where my problems began!!! Aaarrggghhhhh! I recommend that if you build this kit, you hide sharp objects so that you don't slash your wrists, you shave your head to prevent you pulling your hair out, and, you line the walls with soft padding so it doesn't hurt when you bang your head against them!
Anyway....the instructions direct you to fit the engine into the starboard side fuselage, pushing the exhaust stack through the aperture that they locate into. Well...that wasn't happening! The rectangular aperture is both too short in length and shallow on the width. I took a flat swiss file and gently worked at all 4 sides until the exhausts slipped through. Beneath the engine is the radiator housing that one assumes the engine rests onto and is glued onto it as a point of location to set the height of the engine. Well, again, the top of the radiator is too low and leaves a space, so the only support the engine has is the slot the exhausts are slid through. I put a couple of piece of cocktail sticks on top of the radiator housing and used super-glue to fix them there, then filed them until the engine sat on them and the exhausts lined up with the aperture they are to slide through.

IMG_2087_zpsj4clr3p6.jpg

That worked and I was happy the engine had some support beneath it to prevent it accidentally being pressed down and breaking off the exhausts. The next fit issue that came to light was that the distance from the front of the oil cooler tank to the back face of the bulkhead was around 1.5mm too long, and therefore, the bulkhead wall didn't locate into the recess on the side of the fuselage to position the assembly in the correct place. I therefore had to file the location recess back about 0.5-0.75mm, and, file down the front of the oil cooler tank until the engine/bulkhead assembly fitted into the fuselage:

IMG_2088_zpsn04dciz8.jpg

IMG_2089_zpsaa0itb9f.jpg

Now that I had got the engine/bulkhead assembly to fit into it's intended location, presently by dry-fitting until I was certain I had covered everything before I glued it into position, I dry-fitted the portside fuselage half around it, and, discovered another issue; the fuselage halves would not close together at the front end beneath the engine/nose area, and a gap of around 2.0mm was present. I therefore had to file down the sides of the oil cooler tank, the inside walls of the fuselage, and, the first exhaust pipe on both sides of the engine.

IMG_2105_zps6mczohjc.jpg

IMG_2090_zpsxg4elm5m.jpg

IMG_2094_zpsrjuknzoz.jpg

IMG_2099_zpszlheqr3n.jpg

After all of the filing, and, filing off as much as I dare before parts fail, I put the fuselage halves back together and I was happier with the fit. The gap closed up from around 2.0mm to about 0.5/0.75mm, which I felt was a more comfortable gap to work with when filling;

IMG_2104_zpstocifrhd.jpg

IMG_2103_zpsdir8b9vx.jpg

IMG_2106_zpsfku5kd6j.jpg

I then permanently glued the engine, the bulkhead and cockpit into the starboard fuselage half. This is where I ended for this update; the next update- #3, will be the plane fully assembled, filled, filed smooth, washed, primed and pre-shaded.

IMG_2127_zps3yq0wihf.jpg

IMG_2128_zpsqu7yt1nm.jpg

If you'd like to watch my YouTube "Build Update #2" video that outlines the above more clearly in a step by step fashion, then here is the link to that:

https://youtu.be/54TGIdJMXTc

Thanks in advance to those that view this thread, leave comments and follow my build on YouTube, much appreciated! :):thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Have a good week!

Martin

Edited by UKguyInUSA

Eduard "Weekend Edition" 1/32 Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Build Update #3"

Well, the last few days, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands, and so, guess what I did to utilize that time?! You got it...I got back onto this build.

In "Build Update #2" I left off with the cockpit and engine finally fitted and glued into the starboard side fuselage. Here are some images of that, which weren't included in "Build Update #2":

Engine and bulkhead glued in place:

IMG_2108_zpsztgn7tel.jpg

Time to glue in the cockpit:

IMG_2110_zpsfxluwrh9.jpg

IMG_2117_zpszep0ruch.jpg

IMG_2151_zpsqsitzkie.jpg

IMG_2172_zpsee8jlnck.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsrvryufvd.jpg

IMG_2180_zpsliqfjs3e.jpg

IMG_2182_zpsvxmufbkv.jpg

IMG_2183_zps5w8apgaj.jpg

After those sub-assemblies had set in place, I laid out all the parts that I was going to assemble next:

IMG_2140_zpszycyfech.jpg

I started by assembling the portside fuselage half to the starboard side and clamped and taped that until it had set. After that, I assembled the wing assembly to the fuselage assembly and taped it until the glue had set. I then removed the tape:

IMG_2185_zpsmz5ewhqq.jpg

IMG_2187_zpso0ohcwgm.jpg

IMG_2196_zps0fe6cjxo.jpg

IMG_2195_zpsj2waqj2p.jpg

There was a gap around the rear end of where the wing assembly joins the underside of the fuselage and a gap at the propeller end of the fuselage, and so, I had to get the filler out- the first time in about 12 builds.

IMG_2189_zpsniv860f2.jpg

IMG_2191_zpsujo6vui0.jpg

When the filler had set, I smoothed the joints down, then fitted the two underwing radiator covers:

IMG_2197_zpseewudtzc.jpg

IMG_2200_zpske1jmtck.jpg

I then moved onto assembling the ailerons, flaps, horizontal stabilizer/elevators and finally the rudder:

IMG_2201_zpsujrh03fd.jpg

IMG_2202_zpsukjjwvbo.jpg

IMG_2203_zps3hera9x0.jpg

IMG_2205_zpsqzzup7lh.jpg

With the main assembly now completed, the plane was ready to be primed, but before I did, I cleaned her down with Isopropyl Alcohol, masked the cockpit, engine and exhausts with tape, then masked the wheel wells and air intakes with damp tissue. I also temporarily located the wheel bay doors with putty so that they act as masks, but also get painted at the same time as the plane:

IMG_2206_zps0krqo0ur.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsfkxhccqb.jpg

IMG_2209_zpsm7fncnkd.jpg

I then primed the plane and some peripheral parts with Model Masters Grey Primer:

IMG_2211_zpshmuzazhg.jpg

IMG_2212_zpslcacft1r.jpg

When the primer was dry, I then pre-shaded the plane and peripheral parts:

IMG_2215_zpsfllscc7o.jpg

IMG_2218_zpsmd4rklg3.jpg

Once the pre-shade was dry, it was time to move on with the first of the three exterior camouflage colors, the light blue for the underside and fuselage sides. There is a contradiction on the paint instructions, the color call out is for RLM 76 Lichtblau, but at the top of the page there is a description of the aircraft wherein it states the color was RLM 65 Hellblau. I wanted a pale blue, so I used the RLM 76 with a small amount of the RLM 65 to add a pale bluish hue. After airbrushing that mix on, I then added some white to what was left in the airbrush cup, to tone it down so that I could airbrush some highlights on top of the blue color:

IMG_2220_zpsaixo6sgi.jpg

IMG_2222_zpsktifzt0c.jpg

IMG_2224_zpsgmsjzaui.jpg

It was now time to start preparing for masking the plane to airbrush the two upper camo colors. I therefore, as I always do, measured the width of the wings on both the plane and the plan view of the painting instructions and calculated a scale factor by dividing the actual plane measurement by the measurement taken from the painting guide. It calculated to a scale factor of 2.31, and using this factor, I photocopied the painting instructions plan view and scaled it up by 2.31 using the zoom option on my photo-copier. I took a copy of the starboard side and the portside:

IMG_2225_zps48d4dk3h.jpg

IMG_2226_zpsnsnnqypd.jpg

IMG_2227_zps4ew2yz53.jpg

I then cut out the darker of the two colors and used those to mask the plane in readiness to airbrush the lighter RLM 02 Grau color. After airbrushing it onto the exposed areas, I then added some white to tone the color down for airbrushing some highlights:

IMG_2228_zpsx40fhvsc.jpg

IMG_2230_zpsfl9k8kdx.jpg

IMG_2233_zpsifcjyipc.jpg

I removed those masks and checked how it looked:

IMG_2237_zpshfpwhwxk.jpg

I let that dry for a few hours and then cut out the lighter colored areas on the masks and used those to mask over the previously airbrushed RLM 02. After completing the masking, I then airbrushed RLM 71 Dunkelgrun onto the exposed areas, then added white to tone it down for airbrushing some highlights:

IMG_2240_zpsi0bxr0ce.jpg

IMG_2242_zpserwckt8l.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsps5qzr0u.jpg

This was as far as I had gotten for this update and so I removed the masks and checked everything. A little area of paint peeled from the underside of the starboard horizontal stabilizer and I had some bleed through onto a couple of small areas of the engine. I then put everything that I completed so far onto my table and took some photos:

IMG_2250_zpstcgdpaxj.jpg

IMG_2252_zps8stg00pq.jpg

IMG_2253_zpshvg48des.jpg

IMG_2254_zpstunuqc5p.jpg

IMG_2255_zpsg0ysynjb.jpg

IMG_2256_zpsjfkcfxcn.jpg

IMG_2258_zps6ksraavs.jpg

Well, that's it for this update guys! From hereon, I will touch up the few areas where paint peeled and I got some bleed through, then

give everything a gloss clear coat in readiness to add my decals. After decaling, I will then move onto weathering.

In the meantime, if you'd like to watch my YouTube "Build Update #3" video, here is the link to that:

https://youtu.be/McUxVQiCQKo

Thanks in advance for following this build, leaving comments and watching my video, greatly appreciated! :)

Until the next update, have a great weekend and happy modeling!

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eduard 1/32 Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Build Update #4"

Hello Guys,

I've been away taking a few days break with the missus, visiting family in Augusta, Maine and just got home, so, now it's time to play catch up. The following images are where I had got to before we left, but, I didn't have time to post, so here goes....

I started off by masking the central hub of the propeller assembly, then airbrushing RLM 70 Schwarzgrun onto the propellers and the spinner. When dry, I removed the masking and assembled the spinner around the propeller:

IMG_2261_zpsx3qwjh9b.jpg

IMG_2267_zpst4ficts9.jpg

Next, I moved onto the canopy and windscreen section. First, I masked the three separate sections, then airbrushed the internal color of RLM 02 Grau. I let that dry, then I airbrushed the RLM 71 Dunkelgrun top-coat onto them. When that had dried, I airbrushed a coat of matt/flat varnish to seal the paint. When the clear coat was touch dry, I carefully removed the masking tape, but, there were a couple of spots where paint peeled that would require some touch-up:

IMG_2262_zpsmgxh9fw7.jpg

IMG_2265_zpstxhuion3.jpg

IMG_2266_zpsavnkbx6l.jpg

IMG_2274_zpsertaqxgu.jpg

IMG_2275_zpsiuttlkqe.jpg

IMG_2276_zpswfs2ltos.jpg

It was now time to give the plane and peripeheral parts a gloss clear coat in preparation for decaling. I allowed that to dry overnight, then started to apply decals. I began by applying the main decals, followed by the smaller stencils, onto the upper and lower wings, the portside fuselage, the starboard side fuselage, the cowlings, the drop tank and lastly, the propeller blades:

IMG_2271_zpsiogyoh73.jpg

IMG_2277_zpsfateg8tr.jpg

IMG_2279_zpsvpeiqk2n.jpg

IMG_2308_zpsxxp6vja0.jpg

IMG_2309_zpsbruxau61.jpg

IMG_2310_zpsukphsxiw.jpg

IMG_2311_zps5bd2fsuc.jpg

IMG_2312_zpsbvuvsn8p.jpg

IMG_2313_zpsrcwsugqq.jpg

IMG_2314_zpsceos80cq.jpg

IMG_2283_zpsgsup1nyi.jpg

When the decals and stencils were completed, I sealed them in with a gloss clear coat and allowed that to dry overnight. I was then ready to move forward with the weathering stage, and first, I applied some delicate chipping with XF-16 Flat Aluminum to the plane, cowling and wheel bay doors. I then removed paint from the propeller assembly to reveal the aluminum paint beneath the topcoat.

IMG_2304_zpsq8g04gde.jpg

IMG_2318_zpsz5w7c8ts.jpg

IMG_2320_zpsjzousctf.jpg

IMG_2323_zps9otr75wy.jpg

IMG_2319_zpsg0wsyed9.jpg

After completing the chipping, I then mixed a dark dirt wash using a pea sized amount of black oil paint, a smidgeon of white and odorless mineral spirits, ensuring it was a nice water consistency. This was then brushed liberally over all parts and allowed to dry for 30 minutes. I then removed the excess with Q-Tips/Cotton buds to leave an amount on the surfaces that provided the weathered appearance that I liked:

IMG_2324_zpszupegzqy.jpg

IMG_2325_zpsezaumpun.jpg

IMG_2327_zpsgkhcaj3f.jpg

IMG_2326_zpsbzvblxoc.jpg

IMG_2329_zpsrlxqwf0z.jpg

This was followed by mixing three different color washes for applying oil, dirt and fuel streaks onto everything:

IMG_2330_zpslsxfu5my.jpg

IMG_2332_zpsriljfhdn.jpg

IMG_2335_zpsawwaybfa.jpg

IMG_2337_zpsolriorrf.jpg

IMG_2338_zpsfaboult2.jpg

IMG_2346_zpsjlkks4is.jpg

IMG_2348_zpslfljql49.jpg

IMG_2353_zps9q0j7ajq.jpg

IMG_2357_zpsusni7wkw.jpg

I then applied a mud wash to the main wheels and painted the rear wheel. Everything was then given a final matt/flat clear coat:

IMG_2356_zpsyat4cazo.jpg

IMG_2377_zpsnaiyhkdd.jpg

IMG_2379_zpsmeacxcy5.jpg

IMG_2361_zpscbvs80gi.jpg

When the final matt flat clear coat had dried overnight, I then mixed a wash for applying the exhaust and oil stains with using a black and a tan acrylic wash mixed together, then I scraped the end of a 6B pencil to produce some graphite dust which I used in the mix to simulate soot. This was also used to apply the gun powder residue stains around the two wing mounted machine guns.

IMG_2364_zpspaxl17r6.jpg

IMG_2366_zpsqibp4efe.jpg

IMG_2368_zpsepylyilk.jpg

IMG_2381_zpspiw5pcz4.jpg

Next, I assembled and fitted the wheels onto the plane, followed by the propeller assembly and then the wing mounted machine guns:

IMG_2378_zpsiyhwvwpi.jpg

IMG_2385_zpsbdtrfshw.jpg

IMG_2380_zpspw3ftfbx.jpg

IMG_2382_zpstbynqzwf.jpg

Next, I painted the gun-sight and super-glued it into its location:

IMG_2370_zpshoaemulu.jpg

IMG_2372_zpskpaczldk.jpg

After fitting the gun-sight, I glued the windscreen into location to protect the gun-sight from accidentally being knocked off. I then assembled the bullet-proof head-rest into the center canopy and glued that in the open position:

IMG_2373_zpsht8rte9x.jpg

IMG_2315_zpsi3y0l3da.jpg

IMG_2387_zpswbpavb5n.jpg

Now, I moved onto fitting the smaller fiddly pieces- the pitot tube and the aileron counter-balance weights:

IMG_2386_zpspmwtbqdz.jpg

And, finally for this update, I fitted the aerial onto the rear canopy section...

IMG_2390_zpsuf2f3wvo.jpg

The only thing that I had left to do to complete my build was to add the open canopy tie-cable and antenna cables. I did this using 1.010" EZ-Line fixed with super-glue applied with the tip of a cocktail stick.

So, that's it for this build update! If you'd like to watch my YouTube "Build Update #4" video then here is the link for that:

https://youtu.be/IUE6BTVeqX8

The "Final Reveal" photos will be coming soon!

In the meantime, thanks for following this build, thanks for watching the update videos and thanks for leaving comments, greatly appreciated!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, happy modeling and have fun! :):thumbsup2:

Martin

• Like 1