Airfix Defiant A05128 1/48 2016

PhantomBigStu

Xtradecal - Boulton-Paul Defiant Mk.I/NF.II/ ASR.Mk.I - ref.48157

Alternative markings for the NEW TOOL Airfix kit, due April 2016.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48157

- Mk.I N3340 YD-D 255 Sqn RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey 1941;
- Mk.I N3437 EW-K 307(Polish Night Fighter) Sqn RAF Jurby IOM 1941
- NF.Mk.I V1110 RA-H 410 Canadian) Sqn RAF Drem 1941;
- Mk.I V1116 JT-H 256 Sqn RAF Colerne 1943;
- ASR.MK.I V1121 BA-O 277 Sqn RAF Stapleford Tawney 1942;
- NF.Mk.II AA583 ZJ-M 151 Sqn S/Ldr R.C.Haine RAF Wrexham 1942;

X48157.jpg

X48157.jpgX48157_1.jpgX48157_2.jpgX48157_3.jpgX48157_4.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/workbench-2015-review/

ImageE3.jpg

3D CAD screenshot of the new 1/48th scale Boulton Paul Defiant

In the second edition of Workbench, we announced the production of the magnificent Boulton Paul Defiant in 1/48th scale and included an interesting feature on the scaling up or down of base model files, in support of a new tooling project. Airfix announced the production of a new 1/72nd scale version of the Defiant in 2014, which replaced their classic and much loved original version from the early 1960s. The Defiant turret fighter has always been a popular subject for the plastic modeller and whilst it may not enjoy the popular acclaim afforded to the Spitfires and Hurricanes of the Battle of Britain, it is arguably a much more interesting aeroplane. Many Workbench readers will have fond memories of making the original Airfix Defiant in their youth, so news of this new model tooling, which had been produced using the impressive design technologies now available to the Airfix team was met with some excitement. The new Airfix 1/72nd scale Defiant was released in early 2015 and modellers immediately acclaimed it to be the finest example of the Defiant in this popular scale and it proved to be one of the most popular kits of the year.

You might think that using information gathered in support of this 1/72nd scale release would make the production of a larger 1/48th scale version of the Defiant something of a doddle for the Airfix design team, but unfortunately it is nowhere near that simple. There will certainly be some significant time saved at the beginning of the project, as all the research and technical information will have already been secured, but realistically that will be the only area where the team can save a little time – the rest of the development work basically has to be started from scratch. With the larger scale model posing a new set of challenges for the development team, an up-scaled version of an existing 1/72nd scale model is very much a stand-alone project in its own right.

ImageF3.jpg

Decorated sample of the superb new 1/48th scale Defiant Mk.I

V.P.

Can't wait for this one to become available but I'm still underwhelmed by the markings options. The Defiant in 264 Sqn service had some very unusual roundel sizes and yet Airfix has chosen the most standard of all the airframes. Woudl really like to see markings for PS-X, PS-U or PS-B. Sadly, the non-standard roundels make these options hard to build from the decal spares box. Come on you after-market gurus...let's see some other Defiant schemes on 1/48 decal sheets. I'll buy them...honest!

• Like 2

News
Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/rafs-ultimate-biplane-fighter/

Quote New tooling release updates

WB12-ImageM.jpgThe magnificent box artwork for the new 1/48th scale Defiant Mk.I

Without doubt, one of the most eagerly anticipated new model tooling releases is that of the magnificent 1/48th scale Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I turret fighter. Arguably one of the most interesting RAF aircraft of the Second World War, the Defiant has long been a favourite subject with the modeller and this new, highly detailed kit will certainly create a surge of interest in this most unusual fighter of the Battle of Britain era. If the prospect of getting your hands on this fantastic new kit was not exciting enough, feast your eyes on the magnificent box artwork that will accompany this release – I really don’t think there is any need for words!

For this latest edition of Workbench, we are pleased to be able to tell you that the estimated release date for the 1/48th scale Defiant is the end of February this year and the decal options that will be available in the kit are as follows:

WB12-ImageN.jpgDecal scheme for the RAF No.264 Squadron Defiant Mk.I

Scheme A: Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I, L7026 / PS-V, RAF No.264 Squadron, Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, July 1940

WB12-ImageP.jpgDecal scheme for the Army Cooperation Defiant Mk.I

Scheme B: Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I, N1572 / KO-I, RAF No.II (Army Cooperation) Squadron, Hatfield Woodhouse, South Yorkshire, September 1940

It is safe to say that this is going to be an incredibly popular new addition to the Airfix range of 1/48th scale kits and potentially, one of the most significant modelling releases of 2016. To make sure that you are one of the first people to receive one of these superb new Defiants, head for the Airfix website now and pre-order your kit.

V.P.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder who else is getting pretty excited about the on coming release of Airfix's Boulton Paul Defiant in 1/48 scale?.......I know I am.

It's due for release on the 2nd March this year,knowing Airfix,I'm sure it will be a much better version accuracy wise than the Classic airframe version that was pretty inaccurate to say the least.

Edited by Jackofalltrades
  • Like 1

Now showing as in stock, I hope Airfix get credit for being early as much as they get slammed for being late

So that'll be a least another six weeks before it appears in my LMS, who as Hornby concessionaries are as unhappy with the delay as their customers.

Seeing as it was available at Airfix, I had an email from Wonderland models advertising the 1/48 Defiant so duly ordered one. Today I had an email from them to advise that it was on order from the manufacturer in my opinion there's nothing worse than a shop offering something in stock to grab orders and then not supplying!!

• Like 1

How dare they let customers know in advance its coming, so those interested can order, and they know how many to order. How dare they do a sound business strategy and force their customers to wait a few extra days they would have to wait anyway (and in that case may have not odored enough for demand so the wait could then be weeks). The nerve of them

I think Dazinio's issue comes from not knowing it wasn't already in stock. Some websites make it more clear than others. I've heard this before from other folks too :)

How dare they let customers know in advance its coming, so those interested can order, and they know how many to order. How dare they do a sound business strategy and force their customers to wait a few extra days they would have to wait anyway (and in that case may have not odored enough for demand so the wait could then be weeks). The nerve of them

The Email or website did not make it clear that they did`nt have it in stock. I don`t mind waiting thats not the issue, misrepresentation is the issue.

The Email or website did not make it clear that they did`nt have it in stock. I don`t mind waiting thats not the issue, misrepresentation is the issue.

You may want to take a look at the email again. It said 'due in tomorrow'. You may want to take it up with Airfix (and every other model manufacturer) to ask why they don't deliver what they are supposed to, when they're supposed to.

If you think Airfix is bad, try getting Dragon or HaT Industrie kits.