Coming along nice, built a few of these and in fact started one on Wednesday, right about the fit of it though I have found the solution to it, was able to assemble the fuselage in no time without gaps, though the glue monster cursed me and the fuselage warped under the pressure of the insulation tape I used to hold it...

I'm building two so it'd be great if you could share how you managed to do it? I wish I'd have known before, it's been a real battle to get her sealed up! I tried to be really careful with the clamps as my fuselage was starting to warp too. That's why I decided to glue it front to back.

I spent some time in the Q shed at Binbrook when I held there in 1982. IIRC the 'bungalow' was on the west side of the sheds (so a mirror of your plan)

Hi Ascoteer, you'll be a handy person to know if you don't mind a few PMs about Q-sheds as I get up and running? :) from the pictures I've seen, and Google Maps the Binbrook bungalow has always been to the left of the shed fronts, unless I'm looking at the back and not realising it?

image_zps3fsnnznb.jpg

Matt, maybe my memory is shot but I distinctly remember entering the shed from the accomodation and the entrance to the shed being on my left.

Edit: I've just had a quick look at Google Earth and the bungalow appears to be on the East side so my memory is definitely shot!

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 1

Matt, maybe my memory is shot but I distinctly remember entering the shed from the accomodation and the entrance to the shed being on my left.

Edit: I've just had a quick look at Google Earth and the bungalow appears to be on the East side so my memory is definitely shot!

Haha! No worries. We'll get it right between us somehow! Would you mind me asking about the Q-shed at Binbrook?

How did I do it, now that was a bit of gin fueled inspiration, instead of of priming the sprues then painting the cockpit as I assembled it, I put it app together as bare plastic, making sure when I put the trunking plus cockpit tub in I let the glue dry with the other fuse half dry fitted. Also sanded the injection marks down flat though that's not my idea others have noted it on here

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

I've been working on a Q shed prototype this evening and finally scaling up my drawings into a paper/card rendition. I also bought some plasticard iron cladding and beams to have a bit of a play around with, I think they're going to be cosmetic rather than structural.

image_zps5iwqlnjh.jpg

It looks a bit rough and I've only made Q1, but I've now got a pattern to use to make something more robust. It's a 1/72 rendition as best as I can make it! Comments and queries welcome.

• Like 2

From the flimsy paper pattern above I have now created the cardboard 'skeleton' for the Q-shed facade. Onto this I will glue the iron sheeting, steel beams and other detailing. It's a really strong shell, but it doesn't need to hold too much weight. I went back to my original drawings and reference pictures and changed the height of the side walls as the paper one seemed out by about 3/4of an inch.

IMG_4483_zpsdw24txb2.jpg

IMG_4482_zpsvdh9e8yv.jpg

IMG_4479_zps5tbocrzb.jpg

Now I have a physical sense of how big the main area is going to be I can start drawing out other details. I've been able to shave off a few inches to save on more space. I'm loving the Lightning build, but I'm considering another aircraft for Q2. The ones I've considered are listed in the picture, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. I know the Typhoon never flew from Q sheds like this, but I thought it'd look quite cool to have a 'then and now' comparison. Im also wondering what 1/72 support vehicles are out there. I thought an RAF landie would look good, but if there are others available is like to hear about them!

Untitled_zpsqpt5f3aw.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm building an aircraft too...all of the major construction is completed so next comes the prep for priming. There's a bit of filling to do, but nothing major as far as I can see.

IMG_4477_zpsh3lxguld.jpg

• Like 6

The bungalow begins...

IMG_4495_zps9fqin1gt.jpg

The front 'room' will be furnished with a few bits, maybe a figure or two. The rear section will house the transformer and lighting switch/wiring. I'm planning to wire the lights at the front of the building within the door mechanism.

IMG_4497_zpsbwnyfiot.jpg

A couple of other views, figure for scale.

IMG_4498_zpsk1uqkaq5.jpg

IMG_4500_zpsolhdhxo5.jpg

IMG_4499_zpskjrvnwa8.jpg

The real thing from a distance.

615899_310230735752778_1256763139_o.jpg

Picture reference from the Save the Binbrook Q Area Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Scramble-Scramble-ScrambleHelp-save-the-RAF-Binbrook-Q-area/310070375768814e

Next weekend will see the start of the cladding process and the planning of the lighting rig. Watch this space!

Edited by MattBlack33
  • Like 1

Now we're talking, it's nice to get a "feel" for what's going to happen. Roll on next week,

Sean

Thanks Sean, I think this makes more sense in my head and the halfway-through pictures aren't really conveying what I'm trying to do! Once the cladding is on, I hope it'll really start to make sense!

For those of you interested/following the thread, I'll be moving the diorama base build to the newly instigated Diorama area and keep this thread solely for the Lightning :)

There is a new diorama area? Will check it out & might have to move the HAS

Yes, I think it only appeared yesterday so still only three threads on there so far. I only moved mine because it's still early days so it wasn't much work and I liked the idea of it being separate to the Lightning build.

Here's the link to the new thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987148-raf-binbrook-1970s-q-area-building-diorama-and-desk-lamp/

saw these today in my local railway shop. Wondered if they'd give you food for thought for the lighting:

IMG-20150820-01191_zpsyhlnwcj7.jpg

IMG-20150820-01192_zpsjv6igl3s.jpg

Wow these look great! Thanks for the picture, I didn't know Woodland Scenics did lighting sets. I asked about scale lighting at my LHS (who incidentally stock a lot of the WS lines) and they recommended doll's house lighting.

For those of you interested I've updated the thread in the Diorama section with the shed progress, here's what the aircraft looks like as of today.

Priming, Tamiya Primer from the can, Xtracolor Night Black for the canopy area.

IMG_4505_zpshxaz1qkr.jpg

I usually paint the gear wells prior to painting the airframe, however as I have added some etch detailing in the wells I'm going to mask off the wings and paint the u/c etc afterwards.

IMG_4520_zpshpfszzvv.jpg

IMG_4523_zpslrrzh3fm.jpg

First coat of RAF Dark Sea Grey (Xtracolor).

IMG_4528_zpspesvvetv.jpg

As with my Harrier, I found the grey to be too dark so I lightened up the panels with DSG and a touch of Humbrol 130.

IMG_4530_zpsgfll2ntg.jpg

IMG_4531_zpsvjietn7u.jpg

IMG_4532_zpsociyoask.jpg

IMG_4533_zps9jqec0h5.jpg

IMG_4534_zpsdyr6yay4.jpg

IMG_4553_zpsnszkpt74.jpg

IMG_4554_zpsh83nuat2.jpg

Obviously there had to be a paint-related drama (as is tradition). I managed to spill paint from the airbrush cup over the rear of the fuselage. Luckily I had appropriate cleaning materials to hand and managed to save it!

*sigh*

Comments and questions welcome!

• Like 2

Coming along nicely, I'm working on the same scheme myself at the moment

Cheers Stu, I think it'll start coming together once the green goes on :)

I heard from a fellow forum member that you like to brush paint your models. I started a build thread where i want to challenge myself to build a westland Whirlwind without ever touching an airbrush. I've airbrushed everything for 20 years. Would love your input, tips or just encouragement if what this fellow says about you is true

Hi Yankee, I'm afraid the other member is mistaken, I use an airbrush on all of my kits. Although I don't have any tips, I can give you encouragement. I think a brush-only Group Build would be a cracking idea!

• Like 1