MiG-29 STGB chat

logical

I'm not signing in - this GB doesn't even need it anymore - at least yet. 2017 looks to be a very very good year for modern military plane ✈ STGB:s.

Right, no more avoiding the inevitable - count me in too. Will have to build Zvezdas magnificent pair of Fulcrum and Flanker.

EDIT: You see, I´m almost ready to start! All I need is a kit...

WP_20150702_017_zpsmm2sovbx.jpg

Edited by vppelt68

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I need some guidance with Fulcrum versions.

I have a Trumpeter Fulcrum A Izdeliye 9.12 kit.  Is that an early version?

How about the Mig-29SMT Izdeliye 9.19?  Is that a modern version?  It has a very bizarre forward fuselage which I like.

• Like 1

Enzo

The SMT 9.19 is a more modern development with extended range and updated avionics as well as better air to ground capability. The 9.12 is the original incarnation and there is early and late types, other than inside the cockpit I believe the only main distinguishing feature is the early version had two stabilising fins protruding down the outside of the engine just underneath the rear tailplanes. Later 9.12 versions don't have these.

I bought the GWH Mig-29 early version and built as a late by simply omitting these fins. From looking at the box art and colour scheme options for the Trumpeter 9.12 Izdeliye kit it's the late version without the fins.

Muzz

• Like 2

Thanks Muzz.  That's very helpful.  I wan't aware of the ventral fins on the early versions.  I have now found a picture of them.  I don't think there will be a problem knocking them up from plastic card.

So I'll be building two for this GB: a very early Mig-29 "Fulcrum A" and a later Mig-29SMT.

• Like 1

This sounds like fun - I think I'll tackle the unbuildable and irrelevant Airfix 1:72 scale kit. So what if the wings are wrong, at least it has recessed panel lines. Plus, it's just sitting there in my stash looking at me every day. Geeeshhhh. It's like the Tell-Tale heart, beating away and slowing driving me out of my mind until one day I crack, tear open the box, sniff the styrene and collapse in a Mr. Color induced stupor. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

On 11/09/2016 at 6:31 PM, Ed Russell said:

I picked up some Malaysian MiG-29 decals in Kuala Lumpur and this might give me the impetus to use them.

And I have the Hobbyboss single-seater........ is there a good two seater around as the decals cover them as well?

A question for the 29 experts of which I am not one.

• 2 months later...

I know it's a no.....but I sooo want to build a MiG-29SMT in a Kiwi scheme!!!

Maybe I can do it at the same time as the Slovak Digital one....sort of sneak it in!!! :D I meant "photo-bombing" is all the rage these days with these young hipster types!!  :bleh:

23 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Having just watched a doc on the mig29, which of the 1/72 kits should I go for if I want to build a in flight mig29 or do they all have the louveres/intake doors for on the ground config? 

At the moment, there are only two -29 kits that have the options to do close louvres/open intake doors - the Fujimi 9-12 and the new Zvezda 9-13. The Zvezda kit has a stand too, I believe. Unfortunately, Fujimi also botched the dimensions on the kit so it builds up nicely, but if you want something that really captures that sleek look, Zvezda is the way to go.

36 minutes ago, Supertom said:

At the moment, there are only two -29 kits that have the options to do close louvres/open intake doors - the Fujimi 9-12 and the new Zvezda 9-13. The Zvezda kit has a stand too, I believe. Unfortunately, Fujimi also botched the dimensions on the kit so it builds up nicely, but if you want something that really captures that sleek look, Zvezda is the way to go.

Well, that makes we wonder - is it so hard just to fill the grill with putty? 

47 minutes ago, Pin said:

Well, that makes we wonder - is it so hard just to fill the grill with putty? 

Well, I've tried, with not very good results. The problem is that it looks like I tried to fill it with putty. You can fill it and scribe the lines, though it requires a fair amount of precision.

I did just remember, though that Attack Squadron (attacksquadron.pl) makes the closed louvres in resin, and the Italeri set comes with the nose correction too:

http://www.armahobby.com/mig-29a-radome-and-closed-upper-jet-intakes-set-for-italeri.html

Here's the Trumpeter set:

http://www.armahobby.com/mig-29a-closed-upper-jet-intakes-set-for-trumpeter.html

And there's the PTB-1500 tank:

http://www.armahobby.com/mig-29-ptb-1500-fuel-tank-for-italeri.html

Nozzles for the Italeri job:

http://www.armahobby.com/mig-29-engine-nozzles-set.html

And ooooooh! Bits for the Polish upgrade. Totally getting a set of those:

http://www.armahobby.com/mig-29-engine-nozzles-set.html

Taking into account the phase of the Moon and current GB calendar I realized that I could not co-host three GBs at the same time. Said that I withdraw myself from co-hosting of this STGB. 

Sigh ... 

On 16/01/2017 at 1:10 PM, Supertom said:

Thanks, thats good to hear, was leaning towards the Zvezda over the trumpy kit anyway :) now to see if i can get by with that without forking out for the akan paint

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Being a newcomer to jets, is there a how-to guide about the Serbian Fulcrum the Dutch F-16 shot down in Kosovo '99? I still have a chance to do a "they also served GB Duel" in these two STGB:s if I find enough information about the MiG, the Falcon is pretty well covered. Help? V-P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...