SNCF 241.P "Mountain", Kitmaster, OO Gauge

Another nicely detailed early 1960s kit of a big and impressive original! These beasties were the flagship steam locomotives of the SNCF (French Railways). Unfortunately, unbuilt complete kits are pretty rare, and command high prices on eBay, so to get this most unusual and impressive Kitmaster model on display, I had to resort to buying a built-up model. It was only missing one set of cab steps (and seeing how easily they are knocked off by the swinging rear bogie, I can understand why!), which I scratch built. It had been pretty reasonably painted, albeit in silver and olive green rather than the more prototypical steel and Brunswick Green:

before-repaint.jpg

Anyway, aiming for an "in service" but not "uncared for" look, I weathered it as though someone took an oily rag to the green bits every now and then, as befits a locomotive hauling Blue Riband expresses.

with-box.jpg
right-profile.jpg
comin-at-ya-1.jpg
left-rear-white.jpg
weathered-left-side-2.jpg
comin-at-ya-3.jpg
big-so-and-so.jpg
... yes, it is a big so and so....
bestest,
M.
  • Like 4

You have done it again! I could not get one when Kitmaster was going! I suppose you will pop up with a Baureihe next?

BTW that model looks excellent. Just one thing though,have you thought of adding a fall Plate between engine and tender?