Spitfire Mk1, Two from 602

Ambitious? Maybe too much for me, but ... two Airfix Spitfires in 1/72

The plastic ...

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_01.jpg

The schemes will be from diffferent XtraDecal sets, LO-H, and LO-P ...

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_02.jpg

LO-P is a personal choice from my Il2 days, and LO-H apeals because a) it's the same squadron and B) it was active (just) in the time frame of this GB.

If anybody knows the aircraft, I would love to know where XtraDecal found their reference for LO-P

Not an immediate problem, but one that will crop up - where do I find Sky Blue paint? The only colour I've seen listed so far is from the Tamiya range, which probably isn't matched to "BS381 No1"

XtraDecal suggest Humbrol 122 Pale Blue, which (AFIK) is discontinued, but may be a match for FS15622 (Israeli Pale Blue). Any thoughts?

• Like 6

There was an enamel match for this in the Colourcoats range, now carried by Sovereign Hobbies.

In acrylic, Vallejo Model Color 70.973 Light Sea Grey was recommended to me and looks ok in the pot. I haven't used it in anger. It's supposed to be a match for FS35526 so is unlikely to be spot on for a British colour. however, when I looked a year ago I couldn't find anything better.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John

That got me Googling (sp?) and off to some really weird sites before I hit gold, or better BS381 No1 Sky Blue.

The most useful thing was a post by LDSModeller here: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/151730.aspxin combination with the Encycolorpedia site (no I haven't met it before).

The LDSModeller post points to two possible Sky Blues, BS381 No1, and a (less than consistent) Air Ministry (AM) Sky Blue, something like ...

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_03.jpg

According to my interprutation of the Encycolorpedia, Humbrol's RLM78 Himmelblau ( :mental:), Vallejo's 70.971 and Tamiya's XF23 might all be possible matches to BS381 No1.

The AM Sky Blues (which, I, sort of, prefer) are more difficult to match - I have an old bottle of Misterkit's Gotha Bluish White, which is a bit pale, but might suit, and I have a niggling suspicion that RLM76 might work there too

{edit = BS381 No1 <- added the 1}

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 2

Hi Robert,

You could always PM Jon Freeman of this parish, he designed the sheet for Xtradecals and could possibly provide a reference for LOoP if he remembers or kept notes :)

As John has noted Sovereign Colourcoats have enamel versions of both Sky Blues plus Eau-de-Nil and some other 'obscure' RAF colours if you ever need them. They haven't got colour chips up on the website for all the colours yet but they are excellent quality paints and I recommend them if you prefer enamels to acrylics.

As for whether Sky Blue (in whatever guise) was actually used on the undersides of 602 Squadron Spitfires in early-mid 1940... as Jon notes I don't suppose we will ever get conclusive proof of that but similarly it is unlikely anyone will be able to prove that they weren't painted that colour either :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew, thanks for that reality check - I needed it :)

I've been sploshing paint around:

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_04.jpg

If I'm going for a green/silver interior, I suspect I need to advance the silver by one bay

Slightly unusual here, one seat will be green, the other aluminium. So far as I can tell, the brown plstic seats didn't start to come on line until May 1940, long after these aircraft were built (see this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925276-spitfire-bakelite-seat-question/, Edgar's reply is most informative). OK, I don't know when LO-P was built, but I suspect it's the older of the two machines, and LO-H (K9899) first flew in March '39.

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_05.jpg

Don't you hate close up photography? I do, it shows all the ommissions and splots in my paint work.

• Like 6

Regarding the squadron code letter position on the port side of K9899: I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a 602 squadron Spitfire with that format. All have had the LO forward of the roundel on the port side, ie LO@H.

Nos. 64, 234 and 611 did place their squadron codes aft of the roundel on both sides, with No. 616 seemingly doing whatever they liked!

Incidentally, I have yet to see a photo showing a single 1940 64 Squadron machine with the squadron codes ahead of the roundel on the port side, despite many profiles showing just that.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Regarding the squadron code letter position on the port side of K9899: I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a 602 squadron Spitfire with that format. All have had the LO forward of the roundel on the port side, ie LO@H.

{snip}

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, that's useful to know

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't realised so much time had slipped by, but I have a little progress to report ...

Fuselages are closed up and wings and tail plane added - but no rudders yet.

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_06.jpg

The safety harness is home made, possibly a little more than 2 scale inches - though these will be hard to see once the canpies are added

BM_BoB3_Spitfire_07.jpg

Lots of filling and sanding to follow :(

Heads up - I added the top wings to the lower before joining them to the fuselage. This was a mistake.

If I remember, in future

1. I'll attach the lower wings to the fuselage first
  2. Trim off the locating pins in the upper wings
  3. Then fit the the upper wings - trimming first if necessary
  • Like 4