Nice build, I just finished mine last week, however the crowbar in the door shouldn't be red - that is a postwar affectation. It should be steel or cockpit green.

Glad to see your exhaust stain isn't just black soot, but has a grey tinge to it from the lead deposits.

Thanks, much appreciated :) Actually, the crow-bar shouldn't be there at all, it was introduced with the Mk. V's, but the Pilot of this plane was ahead of his time and was a creative thinker regarding his own personal safety. After witnessing fellow Pilots getting trapped when going down in battle and the canopy getting stuck, he decided to take the crow-bar from his tool shed on his next sortie to make him feel safer. Fortunately he never had to use it, but when word got around that he had it in his door, one of the engineers working with Joseph Smith took the idea on board and it was designed into the next variant on the drawing board...a Mk.V. So thanks to Flight Lt James Crow....the tool was renamed from a Jimmy bar to a Crow-Bar for the Spitfires. :)

I was thinking of a nice fluorescent pink to go on top of the black soot, it would stand out very nicely and set her off a treat.

Cheers :)

Bravo Martin! I always enjoy your builds. This looks great. Was the kit nice to put together?

Cheers

Homer

Thanks Homer, greatly appreciated mate and nice to see you on here, too!

It was an enjoyable build; very well engineered and goes together very easily, so a kit for everyone that has a few builds under their belt.

Martin

Oh dear.

The Sky spinner and Sky fuselage band mean that this aircraft is a post-Battle of Britain Spitfire, I'm afraid. While a lovely build -- indeed, one of the best I've ever seen -- I'm afraid it's not eligible for the Group Build. I'm terribly sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

Thanks, much appreciated, glad you like how she looks! :)

That's quite alright, I know that this plane didn't enter service until 1941, a year after the B of B started and past when it ended on October 30th 1940, it's stated clearly on the box. I was enjoying the fact that I've posted this into a few B of B GB's and no-one has noticed this and pointed it out, so, you win the prize for being a clever bugger and can put your self top of the class when it comes to GB hosts and GB management!

Besides, it's not like we're trying to win a nice prize for producing the best build, it's just for fun and relaxation :)

Cheers,

Martin :)

Wow, way to kill his spirit! Regardless of eligibility it's still one crackingly good Spitfire Martin should be very chuffed about.

Thanks again, mate, but I did know it's not eligible...I didn't have another Spitfire in my stash that was in service during the B of B period, so, tried my luck with this one. Seems I got away with it until now....ha well, the only GB host who has noticed this fact out of the few B of B builds I have entered this into! Although a little slow to notice, I won't hold it against his GB management skills. :)

Cheers, mate! :)

I agree, it's an excellent build -- certainly well above my skill level. I don't relish being a killjoy, and like I said, the fault is mine for not saying something sooner.

That's quite alright, I was pushing my luck and thought that I'd gotten away with it so far!

Oh boy, that's hard.....Fair & correct, but hard nevertheless. :weep:

Why would it be hard, we're not building for a $1 million prize! We build for fun and enjoyment, relaxation and catharsis. Sweating the small stuff will destroy all of that, like a rivet counter stressing over an incorrect detail, or, because the plane doesn't include a dingle, a dongle or a ding, dang dong!

Revell 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa "Final Reveal" (9.12.15)

Hello Chaps,

Well, she's completed and so here are my "Final Reveal" photos. I hope you enjoy them?!

IMG_2854_zpslex7rd8d.jpg

IMG_2870_zps38kw3xen.jpg

IMG_2886_zpssecunsaa.jpg

IMG_2888_zps11rnjnn7.jpg

IMG_2901_zpsoct6y3b0.jpg

IMG_2903_zpsp3ebtgl4.jpg

IMG_2905_zpsfatupj5r.jpg

IMG_2910_zpsmpmv3uu6.jpg

IMG_2917_zpsalql8vpl.jpg

IMG_2920_zpslqkbyxf5.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsdocwgaxp.jpg

IMG_2936_zpsfwxzpwcn.jpg

IMG_2938_zpsb8yy5w1r.jpg

IMG_2940_zpshsgvueeg.jpg

IMG_2941_zpsx5gkczts.jpg

IMG_2958_zpslandbinq.jpg

IMG_2963_zpsect4c8we.jpg

IMG_2956_zps84uwmcak.jpg

IMG_2945_zpsly8xpwdn.jpg

IMG_2966_zpspdsltgwk.jpg

IMG_2969_zps2qudxyin.jpg

IMG_2970_zpsvpd5hynj.jpg

IMG_2982_zpsi9r4nakr.jpg

IMG_2983_zpscaa0mcl8.jpg

IMG_2985_zpsb8u5gwvv.jpg

IMG_2989_zps1epp9bis.jpg

IMG_2990_zpsndmstdc2.jpg

IMG_2992_zpsimovwdhk.jpg

Regarding whether I think this is a VFM kit - "Value For Money" kit, the answer would be a definite "Yes"!

This 1/32 scale Revell Germany kit is only $23.95 to buy in the USA; about 16.00 quid when converted for our UK modelers. Here's a link to where I purchased my kit: http://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-germany-spitfire-mk-ii-plastic-model-airplane-kit-1:32-scale-03986

Regarding providing my scores for the overall quality of engineering, quality of molded product, quality of details included, quality of the instruction manual and the decals and packaging, I score as follows:

Quality of Engineering Fits: 9/10 Everything goes together very well and very easily. The only reason that I marked the score down to 9, was because the bullet proof windscreen was about 0.75mm from the surface of the fuselage leaving a gap beneath it. I rectified this by scraping down the two sides of the fuselage profiles where the windshield fitted into, then applied a small amount of filler along the joints of the windshield to fuselage, and then blended it in.

Quality of molded product: 9/10- the product is very nicely molded, parts are crisp and clean with just a few spots of flash. No warp was present on any of the parts and ejector pin witness marks were away from visual area. I didn't have any sink marks to contend with and the canopy parts were nice and clear with minimal distortion when looking through. There are finely recessed panel lines and rivet details, although some of the rivet details are too fine for them to show when the plane is given a dirt wash during the finishing stage. A good rivet forming tool would cure that, should you have one and want to attempt improving them.

Quality of details included: 8/10- I'd pay an extra $5.00 to $8.00, if this kit was further enhanced with the inclusion of a Rolls Royce Merlin Engine to display with the cowlings removed.

Quality of the instruction manual: 9/10- I thought it was very easy to follow, but, it would be nice if the painting instructions were in color and alternative manufacturers paint shades were included for those that cannot get Revell paints easily, or prefer to use other brands.

Quality of Decals: 9/10- There are two options for squadron markings and the decals go down very well with a decal setting solution, conforming nicely to raised and recessed surface details. The kit does lack some of the smaller stencil markings such as "no step".

Quality of packaging: 8/10- Typical Revell thin card packaging with access to the box by opening the end flaps. The Sprues are packaged in clear polythene bags that are taped closed.

Further notes: I would recommend this kit to anyone that has half a dozen or more builds under their belt, despite its Skill Level 4 marking, it's very easy to put together and goes together well.

Did I enjoy the build?- Yes, very much so; the only issue that affected my enjoyment was the fact that I had a missing upper starboard side wing section and my portside fuselage- tail end- got damaged.

Would I buy this kit again? Yes, I already did! I'll be buying after-market enhancement for the cockpit and some after-market decals to allow more options for finishing.

If you'd like to see my "Final Reveal" video for this update, here is the link to that:

https://youtu.be/IfKX4uaCWy4

Thanks for following along and for your comments, much appreciated! :):thumbsup2:

Happy modeling and have fun!

Cheers :drink:
Martin

• Like 3

Hang on, so you deliberately entered something into a GB that you knew wasn't eligible? Thats not cheeky, thats cheating and no matter how good the build, thats not clever or fair.I got banned from this forum for 3 months a few years ago for breaking a GB rule I didn't even know existed - so you can imagine how I feel about your "clever" deception...

• Like 4

Martin you have openly admitted that this build was not eligible for the GB and that you knew so before entering. As there is prizes up for offer in the GB this is in my opinion a blatant attempt at cheating.

I am there for closing this thread and publicly instructing the hosts not to allow this build into the voting.

Further I will be discussing this matter with my Moderator colleagues as to any further action we may wish to take against you.

• Like 4