Hello Guys,

This will be my first entry into the "Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Group Build" - the Revell 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa. I plan to accompany this Spitfire with the Eduard 1/32 Messerschmitt BF109E-3.

Introduction to the kit:

The Box Art:

IMG_1835_zpsbherjics.jpg

IMG_1836_zpsqesvp0ws.jpg

The Box Contents

The Box Contains 3 clear bags of light grey sprues; 5 in one bag, and 4 in each of the two other bags making a total of 13 light grey sprues. There is another small clear bag containing 3 small clear sprues. There is a 12 page black and white assembly/painting and decaling instruction booklet that includes two options of paint scheme and squadron markings, and lastly, a sheet of cartograf decals;

IMG_1838_zpsqiqycene.jpg

Sprues A + B:

IMG_1840_zpshxmj4kyo.jpg

IMG_1841_zpsoxunnrqn.jpg

IMG_1842_zpsqwkz4wcx.jpg

Sprues C + D + D- NO, that's not a mistake, but it is one by Revell of Germany!! I have two sprue D's which are the portside upper wing sections and no Sprue E which is the starboard side upper wing section! Aaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!! I went to Revell's website to order the missing sprue E and it can take up to 8 weeks to be delivered from Germany!!!!!????!!!! Bloody hell!!

IMG_1843_zpstzjqtwns.jpg

IMG_1844_zpskvqdibtn.jpg

IMG_1845_zpsphpofx6d.jpg

IMG_1846_zpsrvyklm6h.jpg

Sprue F

IMG_1848_zpsdxdzmkro.jpg

IMG_1849_zpsjfzofbnq.jpg

IMG_1850_zpsft7zvf0x.jpg

Sprue G

IMG_1851_zpshyntsemm.jpg

IMG_1852_zpsuhfq10cy.jpg

IMG_1853_zpskfpe8lqj.jpg

Sprue Q

IMG_1855_zpseghfmitn.jpg

IMG_1856_zpsxhevu6f3.jpg

Sprue T

IMG_1857_zpsc7gaoqof.jpg

Sprue S (x2)

IMG_1858_zpsmfzmrdvs.jpg

Sprue H (x2)

IMG_1859_zpsdc0qevck.jpg

Clear Sprues I, R + U

IMG_1861_zpsqbvqcv9z.jpg

IMG_1862_zpsjywxdzfm.jpg

IMG_1863_zpsllyz61zw.jpg

IMG_1864_zpsjzqy6qft.jpg

IMG_1865_zpshr1lz4gd.jpg

A 12 page black and white Assembly/Painting and Decaling Instruction Booklet

Front Page 1 and Back Page 12

IMG_1867_zpsbjgfgtem.jpg

Pages 2 + 3

IMG_1868_zpseix8xhw0.jpg

Pages 4 + 5

IMG_1869_zpsycigghrz.jpg

Page 6 + 7

IMG_1870_zpsradtc7v3.jpg

Pages 8 + 9

IMG_1871_zpssmdc3mvm.jpg

Pages 10 + 11

IMG_1872_zpsp5hc9pq3.jpg

The Decal Sheet

IMG_1866_zps6fkz0vqx.jpg

The molded parts are very crisp and clean with zero flash apart from a couple of little areas. The parts have nice fine recessed panel lines and lots of rivet details. The clear molded parts are very clear with zero aberrations except for one side of the sliding canopy which is slightly "glazed".

The decals are excellent looking with zero carrier film beyond the decal edges and good register.

The black and white instruction booklet appears to be clear and concise, but the two paint and decal options would be better in color. The color call outs are in Revell colors only.

I will make a final report when the build is complete indicating any issues that I come across. In the meantime, thanks for taking a look and I hope you enjoy following along with my build.

In the meantime, if you'd like to see my YouTube "in-Box-Review" video for this kit, here is the link:

https://youtu.be/SWiiFXlU6zA

Let the build begin!! :)

Cheers :thumbsup2:
Martin :)

Edited by UKguyInUSA
  • Like 1

Revell 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa "Build Update #1"

Well, chaps, during the last week, I managed to get some work done on this build, but during the build, I came across another issue that prevents me from going any further; more on this as we get into this update....

As always, I started off by washing the parts and letting them air-dry. I then started the assembly off by fitting the wheel well wall sections into the lower wings, followed by gluing the portside upper wing section into place. I couldn't fit the starboard side upper wing section, because as discussed in my "In-Box-Review" it was missing from the kit and instead, there were two portside sections...

IMG_1873_zpssa7j0xu3.jpg

IMG_1875_zpszraoq0wi.jpg

IMG_1876_zpshf6mj1xs.jpg

Next, I assembled the halves together for the ailerons, flaps, elevators, horizontal stabilizers, wing-tips and rudder and after they were done, I assembled the halves for each exhaust stack...

IMG_1877_zpsdkzsrztz.jpg

IMG_1879_zpss1jjrtnr.jpg

IMG_1880_zpsiv4vxw07.jpg

IMG_1883_zpsxdjc9euk.jpg

Next, I moved onto the undercarriage by assembling the wheel halves together followed by the wheel struts/axles and wheel doors...

IMG_1881_zpstatjl5yq.jpg

IMG_1882_zpsldjq1zkf.jpg

IMG_1884_zpsv2j1feb2.jpg

IMG_1885_zpsiflhmopg.jpg

I then assembled a couple of air-intakes and glued them into their corresponding locations on the belly of the fuselage and beneath a wing...

IMG_1886_zpsymahgbzq.jpg

IMG_1887_zps1ytdutoe.jpg

IMG_1888_zpsn2insk97.jpg

IMG_1889_zpswefcba9i.jpg

IMG_1890_zpshf3ovs07.jpg

After that was completed, I temporarily stuck the spinner and back-plate together using putty and inserted a cocktail stick in preparation for painting. I then glued some small blisters onto the sides of the front ends of the fuselage halves...

IMG_1892_zpsidisojea.jpg

IMG_1893_zps28zrrlvd.jpg

IMG_1894_zpswgtleof0.jpg

I was ready to start painting, and so I started off by airbrushing a black base-coat onto parts followed by interior green...

IMG_1896_zps47nmzjxv.jpg

IMG_1897_zpssdbgspie.jpg

I then airbrushed aluminum onto the propeller spinner assembly, the propeller blades, radiators and wheel struts followed by painting the spinner Sky color and the propeller blades black toned down with white...

IMG_1901_zpsupwh51nf.jpg

IMG_1903_zpsmmrgrumc.jpg

IMG_1904_zps56nsvzea.jpg

IMG_1905_zpsp9aujdqb.jpg

I could now make a start on building and detailing the individual sub-assemblies of the cockpit and place the two instrument panel decals into place...

IMG_1908_zpsvd15swdq.jpg

IMG_1909_zpsnyh8zvws.jpg

IMG_1910_zpsyjlogylf.jpg

IMG_1912_zpssjodaf7u.jpg

Following the cockpit sub-assemblies, I moved onto the fuselage side walls...

IMG_1913_zpstmyoqnpu.jpg

IMG_1914_zpsxnbqvzvo.jpg

IMG_1915_zpsq8bbxtii.jpg

IMG_1916_zpszfv8naw1.jpg

IMG_1917_zpsnlq74fbb.jpg

This next step is where the second issue with this build became apparent. I assembled the rear wheel and then went to glue it into the portside fuselage half and was shocked to see that the tail end where the wheel was to be fitted was distorted as if it had melted due to heat!!! AAAaaaarrrggghhhhhh!!!!! I was bamboozled, how did this happen? I have been modelling at a table next to a large bedroom window to aid my poor eye-sight with the direct sun-light, as working at the dining table was causing me eye-strain. The average Vicat softening point of Styrene is around 97`C and the melting point around 210`C!! Could the 93`F sunlight have been magnified by the window enough to do this? And if so, that type of heat is enough to start a fire! But, this was the only area affected, no other parts on the table suffered and neither did the plastic table they were all sitting on? It's a strange one?!! Anyway, I ordered a replacement portside fuselage half following the starboard side upper wing section that I ordered last week, but I have to wait 8 weeks for them to be delivered from Revell Germany...

IMG_1918_zpsk1vmeqy2.jpg

IMG_1919_zpsntywz2q2.jpg

IMG_1920_zps2z8hkyyi.jpg

IMG_1921_zpso8mgootm.jpg

The last thing I did was to mask the tips of the propeller blades and paint the yellow tips on. I then glued the propeller assembly together permanently...

IMG_1922_zpsxjzp7l8a.jpg

IMG_1926_zps1xitdbah.jpg

This was as far as I could go, and so, I laid everything that I completed onto my table and took photos of the progress so far...

IMG_1936_zpsd1sdityn.jpg

IMG_1935_zps5zzbxsyq.jpg

IMG_1934_zpss270cazr.jpg

IMG_1933_zpsvya0b7ci.jpg

IMG_1932_zpschumg3wv.jpg

IMG_1931_zps7co96wt6.jpg

IMG_1930_zps1peozrwq.jpg

IMG_1929_zpsmxha8d3n.jpg

IMG_1928_zps2dxb6muv.jpg

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the two issues and will continue with this build when the replacement parts arrive from Revell Germany. in the mean-time, I will move onto my next build for this Sig- the Eduard 1/32 "Weekend Edition" Messerschmitt BF109E-3. Look out for my "in-Box-Review" for this kit, coming soon!

In the meantime, if you'd like to see my YouTube "Build Update #1" video for this update, then here is the link for that...

https://youtu.be/6WW3OHnKniQ

Thanks in advance for following this build thread, leaving comments and watching the update video, much appreciated! :):thumbsup2:

Until the next update in 8-9 weeks time, happy modelling and have fun!

Cheers :drink:

• Like 6

Very nice work so far Martin, and what a bummer about that fuselage (very strange too).

Looking forward to seeing you crack on again when the spares turn up, and in the meantime i'll follow your progress with the 109.

Nick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice work so far Martin, and what a bummer about that fuselage (very strange too).

Looking forward to seeing you crack on again when the spares turn up, and in the meantime i'll follow your progress with the 109.

Nick

Thanks Nick, greatly appreciated, and yes...what a bummer! But, the good news is, I didn't wait for parts from Revell Germany and I ordered a new kit so that I could take the parts I needed from it, and, I've cracked on with it a little further. I'm on here now to post my "Build Update #2" progress report!

Cheers,

Thanks for the very comprehensive build details. I look forward to the next update. Great work :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks Greg, greatly appreciated!

I've bought a complete new kit instead of waiting for parts from Revell, Germany, and I'm about to post my "Build Update #2" report!

Cheers,

Revell 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa "Build Update #2"

Hello Chaps,

Well, after completing my Eduard 1/32 BF109E-3, I couldn't wait another 3 to 4 weeks for replacement parts for the missing upper wing starboard side and the damaged portside fuselage half, so, I just bought myself another kit! When those parts finally arrive from Revell, Germany, I'll have another full kit in the stash, but, I'm giving it away as a prize to a group build that I have been hosting on YouTube since May 1st and which ends on August 31st.

Anyway, that aside, continuing on from "Build Update #1" I airbrushed a clear coat onto all the parts that I had previously painted in preparation for cockpit decals and for applying a dark dirt wash and some chipping:

IMG_1939_zpsx70komaw.jpg

IMG_1941_zps8c9danch.jpg

IMG_1942_zps1nydc1bp.jpg

IMG_1943_zpsvk1zi7qs.jpg

IMG_1944_zpsborgvkyp.jpg

After finishing the cockpit decals and wiping off the excess of the dark dirt wash, I then gathered the cockpit tub parts in preparation for building the cockpit assembly:

IMG_1946_zpseuigga9n.jpg

IMG_1947_zpskf29nwaj.jpg

I started the assembly by fitting the pedals and steering column sub-assembly into place, followed by fitting the seat assembly and rear bulkhead:

IMG_1948_zpslpwku8a1.jpg

IMG_1953_zpseet6juli.jpg

IMG_1955_zps1lowua8o.jpg

IMG_1958_zpsb8ehd1a3.jpg

IMG_1959_zpscetjfy6o.jpg

I then applied a matt clear coat to the cockpit assembly and the starboard side fuselage half, and when dry, I then moved onto fitting the starboard side cockpit wall section, followed by the portside wall sections around the cockpit interior assembly:

IMG_2617_zpse8vakkzg.jpg

IMG_2624_zpsdfudgdlh.jpg

IMG_2625_zpsdeqijh0c.jpg

IMG_2628_zpsxeoagjax.jpg

IMG_2630_zps7zdmpn6t.jpg

IMG_2632_zpsgtuzp2rz.jpg

It was time to take the two parts from the new kit that I needed to complete this kit that I was working on. So, I took the starboard side upper wing section and the portside fuselage half from the kit and airbrushed a black base coat onto the areas that are visible. When that had dried, I then airbrushed a interior green onto the black base coat, and, when that was dry, I airbrushed a gloss clear coat in readiness to apply a dark dirt wash and some chipping:

IMG_2610_zpsetqrgf35.jpg

IMG_2611_zps9v0fgpot.jpg

IMG_2612_zpseazidkll.jpg

IMG_2613_zpsfnd0kzhd.jpg

IMG_2615_zps4idwhm7i.jpg

IMG_2616_zpsipqeew9o.jpg

I had to remove the oxygen cylinders and the radio parts from the original portside fuselage half that got damaged and glue them into this new fuselage half. After that, I applied a dark dirt wash, allowed that to dry for 30 minutes, then rubbed the excess off with Q-Tips leaving some on to give a desired effect:

IMG_2619_zpsdsjaryph.jpg

IMG_2642_zpsaflkhtrx.jpg

IMG_2643_zps4jwyi9qf.jpg

After that was completed, I sealed everything in with a matt clear coat, along with the cockpit door, radiator housing and the flaps:

IMG_2652_zpstsqs8o4e.jpg

It was now time to assemble the cockpit assembly into the starboard side fuselage half. I used super-glue to fix it solidly and quickly:

IMG_2644_zpsonawwdw9.jpg

IMG_2645_zpsilzishxo.jpg

IMG_2649_zpscseilwos.jpg

IMG_2651_zpsdeidhdvb.jpg

IMG_2658_zpsuudgvoga.jpg

IMG_2661_zpsbe10p6he.jpg

When it was set, I temporarily taped the fuselage halves together and dry-fitted the fuselage assembly into the wing assembly to see how it fitted. It fitted well on the starboard side, but on the portside, there was a gap at the wing root to fuselage joint:

IMG_2638_zpsnd5mwgeo.jpg

IMG_2636_zpstuppnpoh.jpg

IMG_2637_zpszvhgohod.jpg

I removed the tape from the temporarily fitted assemblies and then glued the starboard side upper wing section onto the lower wing assembly, followed by gluing the two fuselage halves together and taping them until the glue had set:

IMG_2639_zpsr19nlfp9.jpg

IMG_2640_zpsssruzpbk.jpg

IMG_2653_zpszhpjqs39.jpg

IMG_2662_zpsg4mv52e2.jpg

When the assemblies were set, I then did a second dry-fit of the fuselage into the wing assembly, and as before, there was still a gap on the portside at the wing root to fuselage joint. I cured this by cutting a piece of sprue to a length that I could push into the fuselage assembly between the cockpit tub side panel and the portside wall section. This forced the wall section outwards enough to close the gap when checking again with a dry fit. Once happy with how it fit, I glued the piece of sprue in place with super glue. I then glued the fuselage into the wing assembly. A little filler was required on the underside where the rear area of the wing assembly joined with the fuselage assembly:

IMG_2664_zps69izptqx.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsxqfbsvnz.jpg

IMG_2668_zpsmac7bmyf.jpg

IMG_2669_zps5mhnhwq1.jpg

Next, I glued the belly and air intake assembly onto the underside of the nose of the aircraft:

IMG_2670_zpsqf3uw7i9.jpg

IMG_2671_zpsu8iqnekb.jpg

This was followed by gluing the portside and starboard side wing tips into location. There was a small gap on the starboard side that would require some filler:

IMG_2674_zpstc3at8hw.jpg

IMG_2675_zps21ms5l5i.jpg

IMG_2676_zpsmhmu44rt.jpg

I then assembled the ailerons, the horizontal stabilizers, the elevators and finally, the rudder:

IMG_2677_zpsggq1ztag.jpg

IMG_2678_zps2ymxgnku.jpg

IMG_2679_zps51rn3w4h.jpg

IMG_2680_zpsj4u8vi9a.jpg

I'd now gone as far as I wanted to go for this update, and so, I laid everything out on my table to see how everything looked;

IMG_2683_zpsrgf7fsvh.jpg

IMG_2684_zps6rdujxaz.jpg

IMG_2689_zpswmufaeck.jpg

IMG_2685_zpsljctpski.jpg

IMG_2686_zpswrnnixos.jpg

IMG_2687_zpsma2mnb73.jpg

Well, that's it for this update, and until the next one, if you'd like to watch my YouTube "Build Update #2" video for this build, here is the link:

https://youtu.be/TLyeM8M-jZU

Thanks in advance for following this build, watching the video and leaving comments, both on here and on YouTube! :):thumbsup2:

Until the next update, happy modeling and have fun!!

• Like 5

Excellent work as always! :goodjob:

Thanks Plastix, much appreciated! :)

I'm on here now to post my latest "Build Update #3" report....more progress has been made in the last 6 days!

Cheers,

Fantastic cockpit Martin, really looking forward to more progress,

Sean

Thanks Sean, much appreciated! :)

I'm on here now to post my latest "Build Update #3" report....more progress has been made in the last 6 days!

Cheers,

Revell 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa "Build Update #3" (9.1.15)

It's been almost a week since my last update, and since that one, I've progressed quite a way! Below describes my journey from where I left off at "Build Update #2" and where I'm presently at with this build....

With the plane built up, it was time to mask in readiness for priming. I temporarily located the wheel bay doors with putty, taped the ailerons into their locations. I then fitted the underside lens and masked the center of it with liquid masking solution. The wheel wells were then masked with damp tissue followed by masking the cockpit with damp tissue, too. I then cleaned the plane down with Isopropyl Alcohol to make her ready for the primer;

IMG_2690_zpszbwtwnl7.jpg

IMG_2691_zpsx3me872o.jpg

IMG_2692_zps4h2cmzdj.jpg

IMG_2694_zpslq4u7jnx.jpg

IMG_2693_zpsx9aznh4k.jpg

After all the masking and cleaning was completed, I airbrushed Model Masters Grey Primer onto her:

IMG_2695_zps2yvtc1ru.jpg

IMG_2696_zpsj0ppxwtx.jpg

When the primer was dry, I then airbrushed silver onto the areas where paint chipping could occur, both on the top and bottom surfaces:

IMG_2697_zps1pzgw8d7.jpg

IMG_2698_zps22phza2n.jpg

I allowed the silver to dry then I airbrushed a clear coat over it to seal and protect it and allowed that to dry overnight. The following morning, I decanted hairspray into my airbrush cup and airbrushed it over the silvered areas.

IMG_2699_zpsipmz4wht.jpg

IMG_2702_zpstatc5ozz.jpg

IMG_2701_zpscon8foy9.jpg

When the hairspray had dried, it was time to move on with pre-shading, starting with the top side and moving onto the underside:

IMG_2703_zpsmtnnlvek.jpg

IMG_2704_zpsomuvbohq.jpg

IMG_2705_zpsmt9jxbkc.jpg

The pre-shading dried very fast because of how well thinned it is, and so, I was able to quickly start masking the plane in readiness for airbrushing the underside Sky color, along with the tail band. I used Tamiya XF-21 Sky toned down around 25-30% with Tamiya XF-2 Flat White. I then added more white to what remained in the cup and airbrushed some highlights on top:

IMG_2706_zpsdqidrbcd.jpg

IMG_2707_zpsk3vijrs4.jpg

IMG_2708_zpsfbkt4xsg.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsddlrhq9l.jpg

This was allowed to dry for 3 hrs before I airbrushed a gloss clear coat onto the Sky painted areas to seal it all in;

IMG_2712_zpsmwkhwsfg.jpg

I allowed the gloss clear coat to dry overnight, and the following morning, I created my "full-sized" paper masks from the views shown in the painting guide. To do this, I measured the distance from wing tip to wing tip on the model and did the same on the plan view diagram shown in the paint guide. I then divided the larger number by the smaller number to get a scale factor which was 2.36x. Using the zoom function on my photo-copier, I then copied the views on the paint diagram and increased their size by the scale factor of 2.36 magnification. First, I created the starboard side fuselage paper mask, followed by the portside fuselage, the starboard wing and the portside wing upper views. I was now set to cut the patterns out to mask the plane for the upper camouflage colors;

IMG_2713_zpsldt6lvvo.jpg

IMG_2714_zpsh8fwpy9z.jpg

IMG_2715_zpssmyll8v1.jpg

IMG_2716_zpsyr0ema23.jpg

IMG_2717_zps45sboaru.jpg

I wanted to airbrush the Dark Earth brown color onto the plane first, so, I cut out the "Dark Green" camouflage areas from the paper masks and stuck them down to the plane in their corresponding locations using Tamiya tape folded over to create "two-sided" tape. I then airbrushed the "Dark Earth" color over the exposed areas. I used Model masters Dark Tan 4709 toned down 20% with Model Masters Flat White 4769 and thinned about 40% with Tamiya X-20A. After completing airbrushing that mix onto the plane, I then toned the mix down further with more white and then airbrushed highlights on top of the previously airbrushed "Dark Earth":

IMG_2718_zpsv0udlchc.jpg

IMG_2719_zpsuaitwjwj.jpg

IMG_2720_zpsvlc1gjk0.jpg

When the paint was touch dry, I carefully removed the masks and checked how the paint work had turned out. I was happy with the result:

IMG_2722_zps6udeyqis.jpg

IMG_2723_zps2zd5voga.jpg

I allowed the Dark Earth paint to dry for 3 hours before I started masking for the Dark Green color. I cut out the areas that represented the Dark Earth color on the paper masks and used those to mask over the previously painted Dark Earth. Again, using folded Tamiya tape to create "double-sided" tape. When the masking was complete, I then airbrushed Dark Green over the exposed areas. I used Humbrol 30 toned down 15% with Model Masters Flat White 4769 and thinned 40% with Tamiya X-20A. Yes, I know what you're thinking..."He's mixing three different brands of paints and thinner?!"....It works for me, especially when using the Tamiya X-20A thinner, the different paint brands mix well. I then added more Flat White to what was left in my cup and airbrushed highlights onto the Dark Green;

IMG_2726_zpsiraj2bif.jpg

IMG_2727_zpsruk5ivu4.jpg

IMG_2728_zpso94f6enq.jpg

IMG_2729_zpspcs1le7r.jpg

When the paint was touch dry, I carefully removed all masking and then checked to see how everything was looking, and again, I was reasonably happy with the results, bearing in mind that these are only my base colors to work with that I will be applying filters and weathering to later on;

IMG_2730_zpsou0o6u7t.jpg

IMG_2731_zps3lavxosp.jpg

When the paint was completely dry, I then assembled the radiator housing to the underside followed by both exhaust stacks:

IMG_2738_zpsvnid2kq3.jpg

IMG_2739_zpskz0ypen9.jpg

IMG_2740_zps85urwjpq.jpg

She was now ready to be airbrushed with a gloss clear coat to seal all the paint-work in prior to applying decals. I used Model Masters Gloss Acrylic clear-coat:

IMG_2742_zpsqceeo5go.jpg

IMG_2743_zpshiom5grn.jpg

I allowed the gloss clear coat to dry over-night and then the following morning I applied the decals. I started off with the upper side, followed by the portside, the starboard side and finally the underside:

IMG_2744_zpsk17m52w9.jpg

IMG_2745_zpsgrmkgorl.jpg

IMG_2746_zpsvlaoowf2.jpg

IMG_2749_zpsxbcwad6n.jpg

IMG_2758_zpsnaeo20fi.jpg

IMG_2759_zpshx5oaeai.jpg

IMG_2760_zps7uooyi5d.jpg

When the decals were completed, I decided that this was as far as I wanted to go with this update, and so, I laid everything out on my table, checked over my progress and took a few photos to show how she was looking so far:

IMG_2753_zps0qmltlar.jpg

IMG_2754_zpszpvje1wn.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsohkfazrc.jpg

IMG_2755_zpson3tcuev.jpg

IMG_2756_zpshu6x7t3e.jpg

After completing the decals, I suddenly realized, when thinking about the next stage- weathering, that I had applied a clear coat over the paint and moved on with the decaling before making the most of the "Hairspray Chipping Technique" and applying ater to the freshly painted surfaces to activate the hairspray beneath, so that the paint could easily be chipped away with a tooth-pick!! SUPER BRAIN-FART moment!! Oh well, maybe I can scratch through the clear coats to expose the silver paint now? If not, I'll just have to apply aluminum paint with a fine brush and the previously applied "hairspray technique" applications were wasted effort.

Well, that's it for this update! From hereon, I will seal the decals in with a clear coat and then begin the weathering and "Final assembly" stage which will include masking and painting the canopy sections, fitting the wheels, the propeller, the pitot tube, the rudder actuator, counterbalance weights, the aerial and antenna cables.

Until my next update, if you would like to watch my "Build Update #3" video on YouTube, here is the link for that:

https://youtu.be/KIFePoj0KTQ

Thanks in advance for following this build thread, watching my video and leaving comments, much appreciated! :)

Until next time, happy modeling and have fun!

Martin

• Like 3

Looks fantastic Martin, i admire your work ethic on these kits, you make great progress on every update. :goodjob:

Thanks Greg, greatly appreciated! It's been 9 days since my last update, the Labor Day weekend got in the way for me, we had family from Florida with us, so, I just got back onto her and now here to post "Build Update #4"!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Magnificent work, love the way you've got the lower wing roundels to settle over the lumps and bumps under wings, a problem area I always have when building Spits.

Thanks mate, much appreciated! I used Walthers Decal Setting Solution...it's complete solution all in one, no need for applying a before and after solution. The trick is not to get freaked out by any creases, the setting solution gradually softens the decals pulling it down and around raised areas and into recessed areas. I apply the solution, let it soak in for 10 mnutes, then pply another coat, allow to soak in for 10 minutes and see how that had worked, and if required, I'll apply another coat.

Cheers,

Lovely work, just built one of these myself. Mines over on the RFI page. I did mine as a MK1 and very weather beaten.

They do build up well, sorry to hear about the parts issues. Truly a lovely build

Revell 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa "Build Update #4" (9.10.15)

Well, 9 days have passed since my last update, but, it was the Labor Day weekend here in the States and he missus took Thursday and Friday off to take a 5 day break from the office. Her sister from Florida was with us, too. Therefore, nothing done until Tuesday and yesterday (Wednesday) of this week. That said, I completed her, and this update shows what I did since "Build Update #3" to reach completion.

First, I sealed the previously applied decals with a gloss clear coat and in preparation for adding my weathering:

IMG_2761_zpswdeypqnv.jpg

IMG_2762_zpstsgbmkma.jpg

I started my weathering by adding chipping to the model. I had originally intended to use the "Hairspray" technique, but after applying silver paint, sealing it in with a clear coat, then applying hairspray before painting the plane, I sealed the paint with a clear coat ready for decaling, complete brain fart moment! Ha well, there's always more ways to skin a cat, and so, I used files to remove the camo paint to expose the silver beneath:

IMG_2763_zps9eihccal.jpg

IMG_2765_zpsule8tzqc.jpg

IMG_2766_zps7wt6ug60.jpg

IMG_2767_zpsnmtynjvq.jpg

After the chipping was done, I then mixed a green/olive drab color oil filter and applied that all over the upper side camo colors. I allowed it to dry for 30 minutes, then removed the excess with kitchen towel, leaving enough on to provide the tonal variation I was looking for. I allowed it to dry for 3 hrs then sealed it with a gloss clear coat:

IMG_2768_zpslrnr8emi.jpg

IMG_2771_zpsb5siuzrp.jpg

IMG_2773_zpsmecqdtye.jpg

IMG_2775_zpsaraxqyw1.jpg

I let the clear coat dry overnight and then I mixed a dark dirt wash with black oil paint and odorless spirit, adding a smidgeon of white to make it look dark brown/black. I applied it liberally all over the plane, allowed it to dry for 30 minutes, then removed the excess with kitchen towel, leaving on an amount that was pleasing to my eyes:

IMG_2778_zpsrsalbcrv.jpg

IMG_2779_zps65drbs0e.jpg

IMG_2780_zpsqcjawkjq.jpg

IMG_2781_zpsiehzrwjc.jpg

IMG_2785_zpstqiqkass.jpg

IMG_2786_zpsotk7ao1b.jpg

IMG_2787_zpsmubxpsgv.jpg

IMG_2788_zpsq4uhiu6z.jpg

IMG_2790_zps1dicprrc.jpg

I then mixed a reddish/brown oil wash and applied some streaks and stains here and there, allowed it to dry for a few hours then airbrushed my final matt/flat clear coat onto everything:

IMG_2797_zpslcg16tnt.jpg

IMG_2801_zps4yqisir6.jpg

IMG_2803_zpsvztp8ijd.jpg

IMG_2810_zpsl4warqwb.jpg

While the flat clear coat was drying on everything, I moved onto the canopy sections. First I masked all the separate parts, then airbrushed interior green onto the exposed frames and let it dry for 1 hr. I then airbrushed the exterior Dark Green camo color on top, allowed that to dry for 1 hr, then sealed it all with a matt/flat clear coat. I then carefully removed the masking tape, but some paint peeled in spots, and so, I touched up those areas. I then glued the front bullet proof shield to the windshield:

IMG_2811_zpstggac7bi.jpg

IMG_2813_zpsp0ruqdge.jpg

IMG_2815_zpsdflee9ci.jpg

IMG_2816_zpsonunbx08.jpg

IMG_2818_zpsk9oeyaqu.jpg

IMG_2819_zpssdjuawhp.jpg

When the matt/flat clear coat had dried on the plane, I then applied the exhaust stains and the stains around the 8 .303" browning machine guns- 4 in each wing leading edge. I used Tamiya XF-1 Black mixed with some Tamiya XF-52 Dark Earth thinned down with X-20A thinners at a 20/80 ratio. then thinned down some Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan with X-20A thinners at a 20/80 ratio and airbrushed some on top of the previously airbrushed darker exhaust stains:

IMG_2821_zpsvfievblc.jpg

IMG_2822_zpsptijn7bw.jpg

IMG_2823_zpsrfkfhgag.jpg

IMG_2824_zps3wru6tvj.jpg

When that was completed, it was now time to gather up all the lose parts in readiness for the final assembly!

IMG_2820_zpsln4phvwk.jpg

I started the final assembly with the rudder actuator, followed by the gun-sight:

IMG_2825_zpscqqc28gd.jpg

IMG_2826_zps0z5bdoso.jpg

IMG_2827_zpsxyrxqulc.jpg

I then fitted the Pilot's door in the open position followed by gluing the windshield and rear canopy section into place. There were some small gaps around the front windshield which I filled in:

IMG_2829_zpsmtn8yrxg.jpg

IMG_2830_zpscfnmvkoh.jpg

IMG_2832_zpsyk7jnmcy.jpg

IMG_2834_zpsmxwcds6s.jpg

Next, I fitted the propeller which spins, then followed that by fitting the rear wheel:

IMG_2836_zpslcmeuptv.jpg

IMG_2840_zpsifsuszig.jpg

I then assembled the undercarriage parts together and glued them into their corresponding locations beneath the plane:

IMG_2837_zps8vvnnfdj.jpg

IMG_2849_zpsmsrjanji.jpg

Next, I fitted the flaps, but first, I had to slice the end section on both flaps to help separate it for the change in angle on the underside of the aircraft where they fitted to:

IMG_2841_zpsgvvybmei.jpg

IMG_2848_zpswpn5hdep.jpg

Next, I fitted the aerial, followed by the upper dorsal light lens and then the tail mounted antenna tensioner. This was painted to match the camo colors around it:

IMG_2843_zpsjhjxialg.jpg

IMG_2844_zpslaascfqk.jpg

IMG_2845_zps45jvp4c2.jpg

IMG_2846_zpsqlnyjeor.jpg

I then fitted the pitot tube, painted it, then fitted the Pilot's rear view mirror:

IMG_2847_zpsm4qydhqg.jpg

IMG_2851_zpslxhehrac.jpg

IMG_2852_zpsfy65tgha.jpg

IMG_2853_zpslpksxpkg.jpg

The last part of the assembly was to fit the antenna cables using 1.010" black EZ-Line:

IMG_2979_zpspqfeaqbv.jpg

She was now complete and ready for a "Final Reveal" photo shoot, but, until that time comes, I hope you enjoyed this update, and, if you'd like to watch my YouTube "Build Update #4" video, here is the link to that:

https://youtu.be/9hji8HogpgA

Until my "Final Reveal", thanks for watching and commenting, much appreciated! :):thumbsup2:

Happy modeling and have fun!

Cheers! :drink:
Martin

• Like 2

Nice build, I just finished mine last week, however the crowbar in the door shouldn't be red - that is a postwar affectation. It should be steel or cockpit green.

Glad to see your exhaust stain isn't just black soot, but has a grey tinge to it from the lead deposits.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

Oh dear.

The Sky spinner and Sky fuselage band mean that this aircraft is a post-Battle of Britain Spitfire, I'm afraid. While a lovely build -- indeed, one of the best I've ever seen -- I'm afraid it's not eligible for the Group Build. I'm terribly sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

• Like 1