looking good Craig. Is this the first time you've used Gunze? I've recently started using the Mr. Hobby aqueous and I think they are great.

Thanks Aaron,

I have used Gunze before but not for a long time as the subjects I have built have not really been covered by them, I think i will invest in some more at Telford in November as I'm really impressed with them.

Craig.

• Like 1

I'll be away for Telford this year (which is probably a good thing for my wallet!! :D )

I was on scalemates earlier this morning and someone else had tried the 'sharpie' pre-shading method (I've done it once but I applied too much paint so the effect was lost)*. Anyway, in the comments it was brought up that some thinners can re-activate the marker pen and cause it to bleed through the paint. The lad didn't have any issues with the ink bleeding though the paint but something to keep in mind before you apply the paint.

*I didn't have any issues with the paint bleeding through but thats probably because there was too much paint :P

• Like 1

Well I have finally managed to get the upper-surfaces painted.

I first applied the Dark Earth suing a Vallejo Model Air colour which sprayed very nicely and gave a nice covering, I did not spray the whole of the upper-surfaces as I did not want to lose the pre-shading effect so I roughly marked out the colour demarcation first and then sprayed the Dark Earth areas. As soon as I had finished I mixed a slightly lighter batch and sprayed it in the centre of the panels leaving the outer edges of them in the darker tone.

After this had dried I used some thin Blu-Tak sausages to mark out the Dark Earth areas and filled them with Tamiya masking tape. Then it was the turn of the Dark Green and I used an Xtracrylix paint for this. I used exactly the same technique as I did with the Dark Earth and sprayed a slightly lighter mix to the centre of the panels. This is how she looks now....

Huuri%20paint%20001_zpsckswcefr.jpg

And a closer image of the starboard wing....

Huuri%20paint%20002_zpstt0ts4pr.jpg

As you can see in the first image removing the Blu-Tak unfortunately removed some of the paint (bugger!), the small are on the trailing edge in the photo above is not a problem as only the Dark Earth was removed revealing the Aluminium underneath and this can be used as part of the weathering but the other areas require touching up which I will do this evening.

After that its on to polishing the paint and then a coat of gloss varnish, hopefully early next week.

As usual thanks for looking and all comments and criticisms are welcome.

Craig.

• Like 6

Hi Craig. Good to see more progress on this project. Shame about the paint lifting in places but I'm sure you'll be able to disguise it well as weathering! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Well its been a while since my last update and I have not been completely idle, honest.

After a couple of coats of Klear she was ready for the decalling to start which I have been doing over the course of the week. I have to say that on the whole I was quite impressed with Airfix's decals which I used for everything but the aircraft's individual code letter "W" and the serial number which came from some aftermarket sets by Xtradecal leant to me by my friend Brian (thanks mate). The airfix decals are a little on the thick side but they settled down ok, the only decals I had anything like trouble with were the tail flashes which settled down well but did not quite cover the whole of the area they were supposed to leaving a small gap at the leading edge which was filled in by paint.

Anyway here is a picture of how she looks now....

Hurri5%20001_zps8buum2hp.jpg

Yes I managed to knock an aileron off, doh!

When researching 501 Squadron for this build I discovered that a lot, if not all, of their Hurricanes had their codes painted on the starboard side differently to other RAF squadrons in that they kept the code letters in a mirror of how they were carried on the port side i.e. with the individual code letter to the rear of the fuselage, a fact which Airfix also got right for their markings for a 501 Squadron aircraft in the kit. This is how they look....

Hurri5%20002_zpstvx9izhm.jpg

And this is how the undersides look....

Hurri5%20003_zpsn2orkk1p.jpg

Now that the main assembly of the kit is complete I can start on the weathering process of it which will involve some chipping and the addition of exhaust staining and some fuel and fluid streaks. After that has been done I will start on the "fiddly vulnerable bits" (ooh err!!) which I try to leave to the end as you have seen how clumsy I am!

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments, criticisms and advice are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Cracking job Craig. It's a good feeling when the decals are on; almost there. Going by your previous builds, the weathering will look great

Thanks Aaron. Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend any more time on her yet this week (been stuck at work or sorting out car issues) but I hope to get some modelling time in over the weekend, the final stages always seem to take ages for me to complete!

Definitely looks great with the decals on Craig. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Thanks Stix, yes getting the decals on does make a big difference, really brings it to life.

Thanks for looking in guys.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after about a week I have actually managed to get her finished!

Not my best model (by no means the worst either!) but I am quite happy with the results. Overall I enjoyed building this kit and it has a good amount of detail for a build straight out of the box. The Airfix decals worked well and gave no headaches.

I kept the weathering mainly to the upper surfaces of the wings as this is the area which would have received the most use, especially the feet of pilots and ground crew who are in a hurry.

Anyway here are the pictures....

Hurricane%20finished%20001_zps4twoehyr.j

Hurricane%20finished%20002_zpstihiwo2i.j

Hurricane%20finished%20003_zpsxwvwhl7j.j

Hurricane%20finished%20007_zpsoe7p7yhp.j

I will post some more pictures in the gallery.

I would like to finish by thanking the hosts for running what has to be one of the most popular Group Builds I have come across, and all of you who have popped by and given opinions and advice or simply "liked" something I have done, and lastly but most importantly i would like to thank Tony Pickering and all the other aircrew who put their lives on the line so that we could sit here in comfort 75 years later.

As usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received and thanks for looking.

Craig.

• Like 5