235 Squadron Blenheim IVF *** Complete ***

Chris, Tamiya Dark Iron is the paint I used for the cowlings, hope that helps.

Rob, I certainly can't claim oil washes as my own,having first seen them used on armour builds many years ago.

I like oil washes as they can be played with to leave streaks in the direction of travel.

No progress so far today as I've been out at the N Gauge Show at Leamington, indulging my other modelling passion.

Now where did I leave my anorak?

Karl

• Like 2

Thanks again all.

Despite being distracted by trains for part of the day, I managed to get a little time at the bench this evening.

I always slow right down during the final phase of a build, as I don't want to cock up the entire build by rushing something in a bid to finish.

However I decided to start attaching some of the larger sticky out bits, starting with the elevators.

IMG_20150913_211505.jpg

Next up was the landing gear including the tail wheel, and flaps.

IMG_20150913_211533.jpg

IMG_20150913_211519.jpg

And finally the engines were glued on.

IMG_20150913_211449.jpg

The whole lot has been left to harden off overnight on my patented ginger bread man mug/maintenance stand!

Next up I cleaned up the remaining small components, such the nose pitot, a small venturi on the side of the pilot's cockpit, the Vickers guns and the aerial mast.

For some reason Airfix have molded the aerial mast without any means to locate it, just a tiny indentation, so I've drilled a 0.5 mm hole, and will drill a similar hole in the mast to take some brass wire.

All the remaining bits have now received a coat of primer, except the bombs which I completely forgot about!

That'll do for tonight.

Karl

• Like 8

Thanks for the encouragement all.

Not a whole lot more of progress this week. I did warn you that I have a tendency to slow right down at the end of a build!

This is where we are right now.

IMG_20150918_223551.jpg

IMG_20150918_223602.jpg

As you can see,the pitot is on, as is the aerial mast and venturi.

Just need to finish painting the bombs, which I had forgotten about, and then it will be time for a coat of matt varnish and final weathering.

Karl

• Like 9

Thanks Bernd.

I've realised that the little 25lb bombs are very small, and a nuisance to paint.

I've finally got a finish I'm happy with on the yellow, so next up will be painting the fuses and probably applying a fine red decal band, as photos of the real thing appears to show them.

IMG_20150920_205534.jpg

So not a lot of progress, but slowly inching towards a conclusion.

Karl

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

Not a lot of progress this week, as most of the effort has been focussed on the Mk 1, however I have finally got around to putting an oil wash on the bombs, and applying the decals.

Now I couldn't find any decent pics of these bombs on the web, but have somehow got the impression that they had a red stripe around the forward part of the body.

IMG_20150927_204446.jpg

These have just had a coat of MrSoftner as the stripes are courtesy of an old Revell Tornado set, and were a bit tough, despite being soaked in near boiling water!

Now they are out of the way,I can finally matt coat the rest of the build, and hopefully finish this build off.

Karl

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I said I really slowed down towards the end of a build.

I meant it!

Well I finally got my bum into gear and painted the fuses on the bombs, and tonight I actually managed to attach them!!!!!

IMG_20151010_215814.jpg

Think I need to tweak the fit on that top left bomb, however all the others have gone on OK.

However, with that major step forward, I then managed to snap off the aerial mast. Not only that, I then managed to lose it!

Oh well, nothing I haven't done before, so made a new one of a cocktail stick, sanded to shape, and inserted into a hole drilled in the fuselage.

IMG_20151010_215749.jpg

I'll let that lot harden off, then re-touch the Dark Earth, before it all gets a coat of matt.

Karl

• Like 3

I'm coming late to this thread, but it makes me want to get cracking on the Blenheim IVF that was admitted to the stash yesterday (must resist ... one model at a time ...)

Beautiful work, and the attention to detail means I'll be re-reading your WIP when I do get started, especially when it comes to avoiding/eliminating those steps on the fuselage construction.

• 3 weeks later...

This one was actually finished last night and I posted pics on the Mk1 F thread however here are some better pics of the completed MkIV F.

IMG_20151101_212348.jpg

IMG_20151101_212357.jpg

IMG_20151101_212404.jpg

IMG_20151101_212414.jpg

IMG_20151101_212428.jpg

IMG_20151101_212435.jpg

IMG_20151101_212331.jpg

Now how do I get these posted in the gallery?

Karl

• Like 9