235 Squadron Blenheim IVF *** Complete ***

Thanks guys!

I've done some more work this afternoon sanding the nav lights to shape, well that was the plan at least.

All 4 have come adrift at least twice as I attempted to sand them to shape!

They are getting there, but it is very slow and frustrating!

The oil wash has been applied to the cockpit and is now drying off.

Also did a bit more on the engine cowlings, as I decided to hollow out the carb intakes under each engine as they look very odd otherwise.

I'll try and post some pics later.

Karl

• Like 1

Following on from yesterday's update so photos, first up being the hollowed out carb intakes.

IMG_20150803_165404_1.jpg

The wing tip lights are finally shaped and still attached, just need a polish and a re-scribe of the missing detail.

IMG_20150803_165448.jpg

As you can see I still haven't fitted the landing lights, however I have masked up the reflectors for the lights and applied some Tamiya Flat Aluminium.

IMG_20150803_165417.jpg

The flaps and bays got a coat of dark brown and black oil wash.

IMG_20150803_165347.jpg

IMG_20150803_165333.jpg

The pit got the same treatment.

IMG_20150803_165318.jpg

Seeing as the front part of the starboard fuselage had snapped off I took the opportunity to join the rear fuselage halves as it wouldn't impact the rest of the build.

IMG_20150803_165247.jpg

I'll probably put a coat of flat over the interior tonight so that tomorrow I can close up the fuselage.

Karl

• Like 3

I applied the flat coat last night and gave the interior a dry brushing with Tamiya Sky to pop some of the internal detail.

IMG_20150804_161800.jpg

As you can see I promptly managed to snap the other section of the forward fuselage off by being a clumsy klutz!

Here they are with the glazing panels attached, having first been masked up with the Eduard set.

IMG_20150804_180918.jpg

And here's the rear fuselage sections with a lick of Mr Surfacer on all the seams.

IMG_20150804_161815.jpg

The forward sections of the fuselage are all buttoned up now and drying on the bench.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Karl

• Like 5

Having cleaned up the seams on the rear fuselage I decided to attach it to the wings, and following Dazdot's advice, focussed on the join between the fuselage and the upper wing.

This actually turned out fine. Not so fine was the join between the rear fuselage and the bomb bay/ wing centre section where there was a pronounced step, with the wing section being higher!

Not sure why this was, but can only assume I have cocked something up earlier in the build.

I have sorted it out, by sanding down the bomb bay walls to the same height as those on the rear fuselage, as they were only out by about 0.5 mm. The bomb bay doors were then attached to give me some more substantial to mount the now separate cockpit section to.

IMG_20150806_151511.jpg

You can't see it from the photo but I managed to leave a lovely finger print on the bomb doors! I like to personalise all my builds!

After trial fitting the cockpit section I found I was left with a gap of around 1mm between the top of the cockpit and the rear fuselage, and that it sat about the 0.5mm too high.

First up I added a shim to the rear of the cockpit hatch.

IMG_20150806_151530.jpg

I then did the same with the rear of the pit.

IMG_20150806_151545.jpg

I then sanded down the cut out in the lower section of the cockpit that the bay doors mate with, and now everything lines up perfectly!

Next up will be to paint the shims interior green before attaching the pit to the rest of the airframe.

Karl

• Like 5

Thanks Craig.

It did leave me a tiny step at the front between the front of the bomb bay and the cockpit module, that I have sought to hide by sanding down the underside of the cockpit a fraction to blend the two.

Glad it's not just me though!

Karl

Sean, I can't take any credit for masking, that is all down to Eduard!

I don't mind masking if I have to, but if there is an Eduard set, and the masking is relatively complex, I'll take the easy route.

Karl

For some reason the glazing wasn't sitting properly at the sides of the cockpit, leaving me with gaps and a step to deal with.

I think this maybe due to dipping the canopies in Klear, which has then interfered with the fit.

I ended up filling and sanding the steps to clean up the fit, which has meant removing some of the masking to avoid this being damaged by the sanding process.

One step forward.....

So not a lot of progress, and the cockpit is separate to the rest of the airframe, but hopefully everything should be joined together in the next day or so, after which I can think about priming the Blenheim.

Karl

They were few and far between until this airfix kit came out MD.

Nice work on the interior, neat trick on the Tam sky, its greener than most so of course it would work well as a highlighter!

Rob

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Since my last post, I've filled and polished the nose canopy to produce something without too many edges or steps which shouldn't be there.

IMG_20150811_153443.jpg

This has removed some of the frame detail, but no big issue given that I have the Eduard masks to re-apply.

IMG_20150811_153452.jpg

I also polished up the wing tip lights and the landing lights. These just need a coat of Klear for that final shine.

IMG_20150811_153532.jpg

Can you spot the pile of Micromesh cloths on my desk?

I like to assemble as much of the undercarriage as I can before painting, rather than after as I usually make a pigs ear of the paintwork doing it that way.

IMG_20150811_153510.jpg

I won't add the front covers until after painting as they will need a different colour to the undercarriage itself, which I believe should be silver, and not black as per Airfix's instructions.

I trial fitted the small external bomb racks, however I'd managed to drill the holes for these too far outboard, and therefore needed to be enlarged inwards to allow the racks to fit.

IMG_20150811_153603.jpg

This has left holes visible outboard of the racks, which I have plugged with Humbrol filler. These just need cleaning up later tonight when it has hardened off.

Last off a view of the build so far with the cockpit dry fitted.

IMG_20150811_153630.jpg

Starting to look like a Blenheim now!

I'll clean up the last areas of filler and MrSurfacer, re-mask the canopy, and then hopefully attach the cockpit to the rest of the airframe later tonight.

Thanks for watching.

Karl

• Like 5

Thanks guys.

Sean, the Humbrol Clear is fine for a gloss coat, but useless to dip canopies in. Thankfully I still have a little Klear left!

The cockpit is now properly attached to the rest of the airframe.

IMG_20150812_195534.jpg

I'm reasonably happy the fit all round now, even the underside.

IMG_20150812_195546.jpg

I've applied a bead of Mr Surfacer around the joint to neaten everything up, which can harden off overnight before a touch of gentle sanding tomorrow.

IMG_20150812_195557.jpg

I still need to paint the interiors of the engine cowlings, turret interior and undercarriage covers in interior green after which it's going to be time to prime!

This arrived today...

IMG_20150812_192113.jpg

...build number 2 for this GB, but what's in the box?

Karl

Edited by Bordfunker
  • Like 3

Cheers Karl, I have Klear for the canopys, I was thinking more for the finish after paint and before decals,

as the Glosscote takes ages to dry properly. Something to ponder,

This arrived today...

IMG_20150812_192113.jpg

...build number 2 for this GB, but what's in the box?

Karl

The very question my missus always asks!

A Defiant?

Sean