1/48 'Smokewinders'

Hi guys,

I'm about to start a series of projects based around European demo F-16s. A staple of these display jets are the smokewinders seen fitted to wingtips - does anyone know where I can procure some, or if some can be easily fashioned in other ways?

Cheers,

JJC

Hi guys,

I'm about to start a series of projects based around European demo F-16s. A staple of these display jets are the smokewinders seen fitted to wingtips - does anyone know where I can procure some, or if some can be easily fashioned in other ways?

Cheers,

JJC

Just modify the standard kit sidewinder!

Selwyn

All the info you need to scratch build them can be found on the manufacturer's web site:

http://www.sanderssmoke.com/generators_smokewinder.asp

The operators' guide pdf file you can download from their site has quite afew useful reference photos too.

What Selwyn suggests is the usual way of going about making a Smokewinder. However, there's an approximately two inch difference in diameter between the two that can be detected by the naked eye. The diameter of the Sidewinder, by most references, is five inches while the Smokewinder diameter is given by the manufacturer as seven and a quarter inches.

With the length and diameter measurements you can get from the website I linked to, you should be able to find a suitable diameter of round sprue and just cut it to length and shape. The fins should be easy to eyeball for shape and size from plain sheet styrene.

These two pictures show pretty well the fatter body of the Smokewinder:

018-351.JPG

net photo

018-352.JPG

net photo

If you're not averse to buying an entire kit to get your Smokewinders, Academy's 1/48 T-50 Golden Eagle trainer kit has a pair in it that you might be able to use for making resin copies:

ac12231_04-800x800.jpg

net photo

Edited by upnorth

No problem. I have the manufacturer's website bookmarked because of how many times I see folks asking about Smokewinders on forums.

I know the product name makes good marketing sense, but it does little to dispel the widely held misconception that the Smokewinder is just a modified Sidewinder when the truth is they are two entirely different things.

Edited by upnorth