1/72 bike chain

Selwyn

What about using the 'chain' and sprockets from a small diecast motorcycle?

Thats what I used when I needed a larger size for a chain-driven veteran racing car model.

• 1 year later...

How about rolling a (very) small strip of styrene undersome knurled piece of metal like a wheel on a cigarette lighter.

You really only need enough texture for dry brushing. It IS pretty small...

• 7 months later...

I'd consider trying to find something in the way of photoetch for that.  It would most likely give you the best scale appearance for something so small.  I've poke around eBay myself for small chain and the smallest that I've found is 40 links per inch - tiny, suited for something like dropping the sides of a truck flatbed box, would be still too large for bicycle chain in 1/72nd.

In a book about 1/700 ship modelling, the author suggested plaiting fine wire as a better substitute than the finest chain.  Whilst not accurate in shape it gave a more realistic size and texture.

Cheers 

Will

• Like 1

Not sure if it would work but you might try photo etched model ship deck chain, comes it several scales and types.

Lou

• 4 years later...

I know this is a serious ‘bump’, but I am building a Hucks’ Starter in 1/72 and wondered if the ‘chain’ issue was ever resolved?  My present plan is based on a ‘chain’ printed on OHP transparency.  I’ve also wondered where your build is, in case there are some things I would benefit from seeing. My build is on UAMF.

Here's a slightly different suggestion: lead wire.  You can get fine lead wire from a number of sources.  Because of its extreme soft flexibility compared to e.g. brass or copper it is ideal for ignition wiring, radio cables etc etc. However, that softness means that it is easily textured.  If you got hold of some of an appropriate diameter and flattened it slightly under a steel ruler or other smooth flat surface it would be possible using a sculpting tool or similar to mark each side with a "link" pattern.

Other products and suppliers are available but you might try this:

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/lead-wire-round-o-06-mm-x-120-mm-20pcs-ask-200-t0054/?gclid=CjwKCAiAiKuOBhBQEiwAId_sK6Kk8wQUVdAbQxv72RMTCUxJOQT3QelQfLihIIBCdLdtWesHMW97fBoCbrAQAvD_BwE

But I also agree that there are some very fine etched brass chains available which will probably look the part even if slightly overscale.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction

On 3/25/2017 at 12:43 PM, malpaso said:

In a book about 1/700 ship modelling, the author suggested plaiting fine wire as a better substitute than the finest chain.  Whilst not accurate in shape it gave a more realistic size and texture.

Cheers 

Will

I think I will stick with my printed transparency.  Sorry I cannot post an image directly but this link has a photo of my ‘chain’.  It is page 3 of the build thread and is the last but one entry in that page.

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22613&start=30

Selwyn,

I’ve tried searching for any build thread for the Hucks’, without success.

this may be a better representation now that i have delved deeper:

Chain Sinnet | How to tie a Chain Sinnet using Step-by-Step Animations | Animated Knots by Grog             (swipe & search)

Edited by s.e.charles