Jaguar in Italeri Alternative Camouflage Option

Synopsis

Hi,

For my next project I just wondered if I could get peoples opinion on how best to paint up the alternative scheme on the Italeri 1/72 Jaguar GR1. The art work on the box is as follows:

19694893119_cccb6d195b_z.jpg

I presume I paint the standard Grey/Green pattern, mask off and spray the flat white, pretty obvious but the question I have is would you apply the decals before the white goes on as the artwork seems to indicate this would be the way to go. Is there anything I need to take into consideration if I do apply decals before the white coat is applied, and can anyone foresee any issues in doing it this way.

i was thinking I should maybe apply a couple coats of Klear after decals and before the flat white, do you think this is advisable?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Have a look at photos before you start your build to see how the white was applied.

In the event the markings were applied before the white paint (which is quite reasonable) then, I suggest to "seal" them with a coat of clear gloss varnish. In my opinion, I think the white paint was applied with a brush so, you could also go this way and apply the white paint with a flat brush.

Cheers

Shalako

I guess this was (temporary) whitewash applied for a Norwegian deployment, and hence the markings would have been there before application (and of course after stripping/rinsing the white off again). Trying to find pics as suggested by Shalako would indeed seem to be the way to go - besides brush, a standard domestic paint roll (or several) may also have been employed. No doubt the paintwork wasn't applied particularly neatly, and finding a pic would give you an idea how to replicate this best.

It is indeed the temporary Camo put in place for a Norway exercise and its quite hard to find images of this scheme on a basic google image search, it tends to return the other winter scheme.

Theres a couple of pics in this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6840-sepecat-jaguar-in-winter-coat/page-2, one of which looks looks like it was indeed applied by brush/roller in a hurry and is on top of everything. The others a little more difficult to discern the details but seems to be an more even coating if you like.

There's a good picture of another Jaguar in a very similar scheme (XZ107 of the same 41 Sqn.) in Osprey's Combat Colours. This picture shows a very scruffy finish, particularly in some areas. Markings were indeed covered by the white paint and personally I would apply decals, coat with Klear and then overpaint with white using a brush. It could be an idea to use white enamel as this can be easily wiped away with thinner in case of any mistake. The klear coat will not be affected by the enamel thinner.

Hi Giorgio,

I believe the decals that are actually in the kit are for XZ107, although I have decals to change serials if I like, sadly when I researched the aircraft actually depicted in the back of box artwork I found out was involved in a fatal accident in '89 so I suppose I was a little surprised to see that aircraft being represented on the box.

I think I have seen the image you are talking about and the white does appear to have been applied quite roughly!

Errr - XZ107 was still in service when we closed Coltishall. Yes the paint was applied roughly over the top of the 'normal' camo. They usually chose a jet that was due heavy maintenance soon after as they always got a strip down / respray then anyhow.

• Like 2

There's a good picture of another Jaguar in a very similar scheme (XZ107 of the same 41 Sqn.) in Osprey's Combat Colours. This picture shows a very scruffy finish, particularly in some areas. Markings were indeed covered by the white paint and personally I would apply decals, coat with Klear and then overpaint with white using a brush. It could be an idea to use white enamel as this can be easily wiped away with thinner in case of any mistake. The klear coat will not be affected by the enamel thinner.

here it is, apologies for the orientation, photobucket being a difficult

0396D4B0-B784-437E-A365-FDEF0A67D31C_zps

• Like 3

Errr - XZ107 was still in service when we closed Coltishall. Yes the paint was applied roughly over the top of the 'normal' camo. They usually chose a jet that was due heavy maintenance soon after as they always got a strip down / respray then anyhow.

Hi Jagrigger, sorry my post was a little unclear, xz107 are what the decals are in box, the on box artwork for the scheme shows xz359 though.

Thanks for the picture PhantomBigStu, it's a big help. I think I'm definitely going to decal the model then apply the White!

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 1

http://sepecat.info/b/2012/02/08/jaguar-41sq-xz107-h-snow-camo/

Might help too?

XZ359 was lost with Sqn Ldr 'PV' Lloyd, who'd gained a degree of publicity from featuring in a number of magazine articles a couple of years before his death, notably one in a newspaper Sunday glossy, plus a feature in Flight on RAF Jags.

http://www.seavixen.org/our-lost-airmens-biographies/lt-pv-llyod[the typo in the surname is in the link, not finger trouble on my part]

• 1 year later...

Hi Synopsis, did you ever have a go at the white camo? I have the Italeri Jaguar ready to build and I'm tempted by the scheme! I was thinking of roughly painting the model in the original dull grey and dark green, applying some clear where the decals will sit, decals on, clear over them, then with a combination of blue-tac (avoiding decals) and steady airbrush hand just go for it! :fight:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 26 July 2016 at 9:39 PM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Hi Synopsis, did you ever have a go at the white camo? I have the Italeri Jaguar ready to build and I'm tempted by the scheme! I was thinking of roughly painting the model in the original dull grey and dark green, applying some clear where the decals will sit, decals on, clear over them, then with a combination of blue-tac (avoiding decals) and steady airbrush hand just go for it! :fight:

Apologies for not getting back to you, I haven't been around much through the summer, lost the mojo a fair bit due to a stalled SR-71 build. I did complete the Jaguar with the white camo, I represented it more like it looks on the box art rather than they did in reality. I can pop a couple photos up if you would like, made my own paper templates for the camo pattern using the box art as a guide.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Synopsis said:

Apologies for not getting back to you, I haven't been around much through the summer, lost the mojo a fair bit due to a stalled SR-71 build. I did complete the Jaguar with the white camo, I represented it more like it looks on the box art rather than they did in reality. I can pop a couple photos up if you would like, made my own paper templates for the camo pattern using the box art as a guide.

No problem, it'd be great to see the finished result you achieved. I ended up doing a desert cat in the end which you can see under my profile topics if you're interested. Cheers, James

• Like 1

A little off topic but... The Italeri one it's ok in shape and dimensions? Or it's hasegawa offering better? I read in Thunder and Lightnings blog that the upper spine in Italeri one is a little too big.

Regards.,

Javier

• Like 1

Probably preaching to the converted here, but did I get it right that you are thinking of masking over the decals? I did that recently on my F4 build and ripped the flipping things right off when I removed the tape. It was annoying because I've done that so many times before and every time I do it I kick myself not to do it again. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jacarre said:

A little off topic but... The Italeri one it's ok in shape and dimensions? Or it's hasegawa offering better? I read in Thunder and Lightnings blog that the upper spine in Italeri one is a little too big.

Regards.,

Javier

I'm not sure to be honest, I think someone else may be better placed to advise on that. I did have a few issues with the fit on my kit, but other than that I thought it was actually ok.

11 hours ago, goggsy said:

Probably preaching to the converted here, but did I get it right that you are thinking of masking over the decals? I did that recently on my F4 build and ripped the flipping things right off when I removed the tape. It was annoying because I've done that so many times before and every time I do it I kick myself not to do it again. 

I did indeed mask over the decals, but I didn't use masking tape to do so, made my own paper templates using scans of the box art on the underside on the box which you can see in my original post, these were then resized to suit, printed and "stuck" to the model by painting the reverse of each piece in a thin coat of Maskol. I then just used maskol on the more complex bits. I think this image should explain more clearly than I have managed:

25366208343_90e376ab34_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Mig Jimenez makes an acrylic washable white - you can apply the white, let it dry for a bit and then gently gradually remove it with a brush dipped in water.

Works a treat for weathered temporary snow finishes!

HTH,

Andre

I actually noticed this in the catalogue last time I was browsing and am planning to order some next time my supplier is making up a mig order, I am a recent convert to Mig so I only have a few bits from their range but I am building it up slowly

Here's a couple of shots from when I finished her, I never did put her in the RFI section as I always intended to give her a bit of a wash but never got round to it.

25532885353_7c94b7676d_b.jpg

26043038772_c5229563a8_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jacarre said:

Regards.,

Javier

It looked ok to me but I'm no expert. It is lacking in detail when looking at the real thing even for 1/72. I ended up using my Dremel here and there to improve upon the kit. I also purchased a Pavla cockpit and seat resin set as the one supplied was very basic. 

Synopsis, like the pictures, thanks for uploading. Nice approach to masking. Just a little bit of roughing up the edges of the white and a nice grey wash would complete it for me 😁

• Like 1