Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I 1/48 ( old tool )

Hi Bernd. Good to see you back and with some excellent progress too. I'm looking forward to seeing how the paintwork turns out - the undersides look great already - the panel line pre-shading comes through beautifully. The prop's looking great too. :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Kind regards,

Stix

The last weeks were quite busy, so modelling time was really sparse but i still enjoy this kit, the silver priming revealed some glitches.

The next step is carefull masking and the dark green ( i think its more easy to mask ) will be on the kit very soon.

Ah yes, my old Badger 150 airgun has quit and this veteran is currently taking a bath in thinner, the new one is a cheap one has worked good at the first time :)

Well done mate. Your Hurricane is looking really good. Can't wait to see the camo on. Salt weathering worked well for you. :goodjob:

Thanks Gregor, i hope it will work on the wings as well, the pre shading has blown some ( most ) salt of, i never read how this method is rightfully to apply, its learning while doing.

Nice work on a classic!

Despite it's age it's still a very model of the Hurricane.

Karl

Thank you Karl, yes its still a nice kit and look the part, while the canopy is open now, i have become a bit unhappy with my sparse cockpit, may i put a pilot "in readiness" in the pit. Never made/painted a figure in the last years.

That's looking really nice Bernd.

You would not know that this is the old Airfix kit.

The Sky undersides look great, I look forward to seeing how the upper-surfaces turn out.

Craig.

Thanks for the kind comment, Craig. Hope my Xtracolor Dark earth will work with my Model Master Dark Green and the contrast will look right.

The ejection chutes will be made from small decal stripes. Old scool modelling needs sometimes old scool solutions :)

Hello, after the introduction of metal propeller blades in the Rotol production line, some more progress. The last weekend was quite good and i cut out my self made templates and used them on self adhesive foil from Revell. The first of the upper camo tones went on was dark green and the dark earth followed after the green was dry. The salt chipping worked too and its o.K for the first try out.

Here some pics !

templates_zpsjaipnfo2.jpgmasks1_zpsty5znwrz.jpgpaint%20on%20groszlig3_zps5u87h1gq.jpgpaint%20on%20groszlig2_zpsjuudztw2.jpgPaint%20on%20groszlig1_zps7qjkuwoy.jpg

• Like 2

Hello, after the introduction of metal propeller blades in the Rotol production line, some more progress. The last weekend was quite good and i cut out my self made templates and used them on self adhesive foil from Revell. The first of the upper camo tones went on was dark green and the dark earth followed after the green was dry. The salt chipping worked too and its o.K for the first try out.

Here some pics !

templates_zpsjaipnfo2.jpgmasks1_zpsty5znwrz.jpgpaint%20on%20groszlig3_zps5u87h1gq.jpgpaint%20on%20groszlig2_zpsjuudztw2.jpgPaint%20on%20groszlig1_zps7qjkuwoy.jpg

Great work Bernd, keep it going mate, she's looking gooood!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi Bernd. That is looking excellent! The pre-shading is showing through just right! Brilliant! And the chipping looks great! Very nice progress. Well done.

• Like 1

Thank you mates :) ! Its still underway, it went glossy yesterday but my MM gloss was dry so i used the german form of future, came out not too good and i sanded it a bit down, to make it more smooth. The sanding was also needed to bring out the panel lines, more dark on the undersides and dark/silver on the upper surfaces.

Worked quite good but it can be improved. The decals are still wet ! No problems with them, the squadron codes on the Techmod sheet were too dark in contrast for my camo paints, i used instead the letters from a Sky Decal sheet. Good contrast but i think the color is not too accurate. All decals, the underwing roundels from Airfix including, went on beautiful, no problems at all.

So here are the pictures, sorry for the bad quality. Some touch ups and some details are missing but i am on a good way.

Wish you all a great day

Bernd

upper%20glossy%20sanded2_zpsgx2wd3rx.jpgupper%20gloss%20sanded1_zpsykoz7ygf.jpgunderside%20gloss%20sanded1_zpst5tudtar.decals%20on1_zpsav4ka9kb.jpgdecals%20on2_zpsjljbq9t4.jpgdecals%20on3_zpsu2neqsao.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Bernd. It is odd the way sometimes Klear (and Klear type) finishes can end up having different dry states, even on the same model. I have had it before where there are some matt areas despite using gloss finish Pledge. It's not normally noticeable once the final matt finish is on but it is distracting before then!!

The deals look to have settled well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. It is odd the way sometimes Klear (and Klear type) finishes can end up having different dry states, even on the same model. I have had it before where there are some matt areas despite using gloss finish Pledge. It's not normally noticeable once the final matt finish is on but it is distracting before then!!

The deals look to have settled well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, yes thats a really strange but with a little sanding the surfaces are really smooth, the decals from all three brands worked really nice.

The Airfix decals will show a special performance !

Looks very nice :)

Thanks Rob ! The Hurricane is about to looking "cool" :)

• Like 1

More progress, this time adding details to the underside. The Airfix kit has no openings on the undersides of the wings for the very prominent ejection chutes.

The solution for this came from the Airfix decal sheet, their black demarcation lines has carrier film. They were cut to fit and simply decaled on, using the Osprey book and the underside of a wing from the Hasegawa kit as a pattern.

The undercarriage is on. The mechanic of the wheel struts needed a bit extra detailing, i raided my spare box for something fitting and choosed the bomb shackles from an unused ICM set ! ( better a wrong detail than nothing :coolio: but pssst don t tell it ) This areais still in progress.

The step and the pitot are on too after some re shaping. Here are some pics:

Best Regards Bernd :)

undercarriage3_zpsmhjnhelu.jpg

applying%20ejection%20chutes1_zpsxr8lbbmundercarriage1_zpsq6psigqj.jpgudercarriage2_zpsn7n8sma5.jpg

• Like 3

That is looking great Bernd. Good idea with using the decals to represent the ejection chutes. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a good modelling weekend - don't forget you need to get your photos posted in the gallery tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Looks great Bernd, can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thank you Gregor, today she is done !

Proof that old kits scrub up well.

Thanks and yes the good kits from yesterday have still lots of fun in their boxes.

• Like 1

That is looking great Bernd. Good idea with using the decals to represent the ejection chutes. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a good modelling weekend - don't forget you need to get your photos posted in the gallery tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you, the chutes were a problem but the soloution for them was easy but it has needed some time to get the idea.

The Hurricane I for the group build id finally done. You will see the pictures in the gallery.

Guess without this event, the old Hurricane kit will be still in my stash.

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. I'm really glad you got this finished in time and in the Gallery. And it looks excellent! You've done a great job with the old tool version - just shows the older kits are well worth building. The painting and finish look spot on!

Well done.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the kind words, Stix. It took a while to start it and to transfer my ideas into reality, it has a lot of firsts:

The salt chipping method. Looks a bit like a badly chipped japanese army fighter but it went on good.

The self made templates to get the curvy RAF camo right. Not 100% accurate but also a success.

The method to make raised panels look good with a dark/silver priming and some sanding,

Cutting clear parts is also not standard in my modelling, it went very well, my Hasegawa Hurricane will have a vacu canopy also a new "first" in the future.

The build was fun and the Hurricane looks good, standing between my other 1/48 WWII fighter planes, all kits are much newer molds.

The advantage of this old tool kit is simply it looks the part, the surface is petite, especially the aft fuselage is way better than the Hasegawa Hurricane kits.

The build was finished this morning and i was a bit shocked after demasking the landing lights, the glue and/or the putty had some bad effect of the clear parts and the touch ups were not really satisfying.

Building the good kits from yesterday is still fun for me and more will hit BM in the future.

Have a great weekend too and a big thank you to all Britmodellers for viewing, commenting / helping / motivations and all the likes :)

Best Regards

Bernd

• Like 2