Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I 1/48 ( old tool )

Nice work Bernd.

I look forward to seeing some paint applied to her. You have done a good job with the filling.

Keep up the good work.

Craig.

Thanks Craig, after its together, i am really motivated to proceed on this lovely old kit.

• Like 1

Looking good Bernd! Well done assembling the beast. I look forward to you next update. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thank you Gregor, next will be a slight sanding session, may i get this done before work.

Good to see this coming along Bernd, :thumbsup2:

Sean

Hi Sean, i think, some old scool modelling is a great change from building new tool and much more complex kits. Its fun so far and i had a look in some other rather old kits.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, here some pics of the progress i made in the last time. The careful sanding and masking of the raised panel lines took some time.

But its done so far, some fine tuning and thats it. The landing lights need some scratch building. A very visible detail. The rudder was also cut out from one fuselage half, the was a deep demarcation on one side and a flat blurred one on the other side.

It took also some time to get the propeller fit to the fuselage, the gap between was to big.

Wish you all a great Sunday and better weather as here :)

verschliffen2_zps4rox7lrq.jpg

verschliffen1_zpsqqhjscsy.jpg

• Like 5

More or less Gregor, the antenna post on the rudder is still to add and the paint won t start untill i added the landing light.

But it looks like a Hurricane now :)

• Like 1

This is great to see, Lovely work and brings back many memories of me and my dad making one when I was a kid. I was fascinated at how good he got the paint finish with a brush and enamels. It was then I first learned to thin the paint. and take your time leaving many hours between coats.

Its a lovely kit.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Hello Rob, thank you very much. These old kits bring back a lot of good memories and are still fun to build.

Its a great change from more advanced modelling and will hopefully end with a nice result.

Hi Bernd. It's really great seeing this old kit coming together so well. The extra work you are putting into it should really pay off. Lovely stuff. Looking forward to seeing the paint going on.

Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix, i am really looking forward to the paint job, will try out the salt method for chipping.

These old kits are still fun to build and look the part.

Wish you a great Sunday evening as well, seems the weekend is nearly over.

• Like 1

Looking very good Bernd.

I look forward to seeing some paint on her soon.

Craig.

Thank you Craig, goes for me too. Paints will come from Model Master and i will order new dark earth for this one, hope my self made maskings will work properly

• Like 1

Hello, logged the last week nearly two hours of modelling and made some good progress on my Hurricane. At first i made some landing lights simply from those pins, you find on the sprues.

Not brilliant but should look good under the transparent plastic, the antenna mast on the rudder was done with a piece of metal wire.

And most important, while masking the canopy, i decided not to use it, its still blurry with the raised canopy frames are just ugly !

A fit test with a Hasegawa canopy decided it, i will use the Hasegawa part !

Its slightly too short but the sliding part sits perfect in thre canopy rails, the canopy itself is in one piece, i cut the windshield of with a sharp razor blade without damage. The fit is good.

The Hasegawa Hurricane will be a tropical Mk.I and will have a vacu canopy. So much for now. The airframe need some filling of some slight blemishes and the clear parts of the landing lights need also some "fine tuning" they should blend perfect with the wing leading edge. Made also some work with the exhaust stacks, sanded them into form. Will try to drill out the openings.

Here are some pics:

landing%20light_zpsag23nnam.jpgAntenna%20mast_zpsfoebzgfu.jpgcanopy%201_zps0ahsn1wh.jpgcanopy%20in%20place_zpsjs8kn5yt.jpg

• Like 4

You're doing well, these older mouldings from our beloved Airfix do test our patience at times, but with determination and some choice words a good result is achievable.

Looking forward to seeing the finished result soon

All the best, Dave

• Like 1

You're doing well, these older mouldings from our beloved Airfix do test our patience at times, but with determination and some choice words a good result is achievable.

Looking forward to seeing the finished result soon

All the best, Dave

Thank you Dave, it will took some time and care to do these older kits but there are still worth to build and fun !

Hi Bernd. Hope you're keeping well. Good to see more progress on this project and I agree with Davejay (above) - you're doing a cracking job with the old kit and it should look great when it's finished. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a good week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Hope you're keeping well. Good to see more progress on this project and I agree with Davejay (above) - you're doing a cracking job with the old kit and it should look great when it's finished. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a good week.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hello Stix, thanks for the kind comment, kits like this one need some special care. Guess the "new" canopy makes it more attractive, this means also i need some better seat belts.

Wish you a great week too, more hopefully very soon !

• Like 1

Bernd,

Agree with above your doing a grand job on an old kit, it does build into a very nice finished project. I thought I had done a Hurricane where the gun section was separate from the wing, and this is the kit, it would I f they had done that on the new one. It would have made the red gun cover easier to paint.

• Like 1

Building old kits can be fun. This is an example of those kits ! Hope i can prime the Hurri soon, the gun cover will see only paint, i don t trust the kit decals.

• Like 1

Hello, logged the last week nearly two hours of modelling and made some good progress on my Hurricane. At first i made some landing lights simply from those pins, you find on the sprues.

Not brilliant but should look good under the transparent plastic, the antenna mast on the rudder was done with a piece of metal wire.

And most important, while masking the canopy, i decided not to use it, its still blurry with the raised canopy frames are just ugly !

A fit test with a Hasegawa canopy decided it, i will use the Hasegawa part !

Its slightly too short but the sliding part sits perfect in thre canopy rails, the canopy itself is in one piece, i cut the windshield of with a sharp razor blade without damage. The fit is good.

The Hasegawa Hurricane will be a tropical Mk.I and will have a vacu canopy. So much for now. The airframe need some filling of some slight blemishes and the clear parts of the landing lights need also some "fine tuning" they should blend perfect with the wing leading edge. Made also some work with the exhaust stacks, sanded them into form. Will try to drill out the openings.

Here are some pics:

landing%20light_zpsag23nnam.jpgAntenna%20mast_zpsfoebzgfu.jpgcanopy%201_zps0ahsn1wh.jpgcanopy%20in%20place_zpsjs8kn5yt.jpg

Hi Bernd. Nice work on the canopy, and the radio mast. Shes looking good mate. Keep up the great work :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Thanks mate but like so often the eye of the camera revealed some areas that still need some work.

The change of the canopy was a good idea, the kit looks way better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, after all some good progress. The kit is primed, pre shaded, some salt applied and the sky is on. The propeller is also painted and chipped. Canopy is masked.

There was not much time for spare in the last time but this build is still underway. If i have some time under the week, i will mask the undersurface and start the upper camo.

The propeller was also primed in silver and gor some salt on, the effect came out quite nice for the first try out.

primer%20on1_zpspx97plst.jpgprimer%20on2_zpshogr8bft.jpg

salt%20on1_zpsc42stdin.jpg

pre%20shading1_zpsgus4hrwu.jpgsky%20on2_zps1spbhxil.jpgprop%20paint%20on_zpsytplzqd9.jpg

prop%20paint%20on2_zpsy6cjd45q.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Bernd. Good to see you back and with some excellent progress too. I'm looking forward to seeing how the paintwork turns out - the undersides look great already - the panel line pre-shading comes through beautifully. The prop's looking great too. :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1