Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I 1/48 ( old tool )

Hello Britmodellers, here is my attempt to take part in the GB. Its the old Hurricane from Airfix in 1/48 scale.

Some days ago, i was looking at my stash and was looking for something that fits the theme. My rule : nothing that must be purchased. After having various 109s and 110s in my hand, i digged out this kit.

Its still a nice kit, the raised panels are petite and the fabric looks very nice. The canopy is one piece but looks good, both types of propellers are in the box as well.

So it went on the bench, this weekend. Some years ago, i got a Techmod decal sheet for this one, because i didn t like the decals in the box. Most of the depicted aircrafts are covered here, we will see.

Fellow modeller Greg is doing this too and i was warned about the fit of the wing / fuselage, a test fit didn t showed a big problem, may my molding is fresher.

The idea to glue the upper parts of the wings to the fuselage half was after the test it the way to go. Here is the result from yesterdays modelling session.

boxart_zpsmy9xthvr.jpgsprues_zps0dsuhf23.jpgtechmod_zpsmswpy2nw.jpgtechmod2_zpsm9nmreqf.jpgtest%20fit1_zpsxnjjt29v.jpgtest%20fit2_zps12cihnex.jpgtest%20fit3_zpshqk6xigu.jpgtest%20fit4_zpszofftxb0.jpgfuse%20sides_zpsswpwyicy.jpginstr%20panel_zpsxwha7rbx.jpgunderwing%20seat%202_zpsugunhmlf.jpgunderwing%20seat_zpsjrfsptrw.jpgfuse%20wing1_zpsvsdpytbt.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Bernd, your off to a very good start. That's a different approach. I think that should work out just fine. Joe

• Like 1

Hello Bernd! Good to see you here with, what looks to be, a rather excellent project. The cockpit is looking really great! And you're going to have yours complete way before either of mine and you've only just started! :popcorn:

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome, mates. Guess this GB is a perfect match to bring some more needed RAF aircraft on my shelf.

Old kits have their charme, got also a Hasegawa Hurricane but i went with this one. It wil be also a testbed for some new ( to me ) painting methods.

The aircraft, i want to do is this one:

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/RAF-303Sqn-RF/images/Hurricane-MkI-RAF-303Sqn-RFE-Miroslaw-Feric-P3700-England-1940-01.jpg

Its Plt Off. M. Feric s aircraft. RF o E, P3700. This 303 Squadron bird is also depicted in the Osprey book. The photo in this link raise more questions

than it actually solves.

Best Regards

Bernd

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning, its time for a small update, progress is still slow, finished another kit and hope for better weather conditions, to make photos, outside.

The fuselage is closed, the cockpit/ fuselage/wing part underside isn t glued on, it needs some more trimming. The surplus glue on the seams will be used as filler.

The kit has some bad sink marks, which are still unsolved. I made also some sketches for cut out masks to get a hard edged camo scheme.

Cheers

Bernd

hurri1_zpsi8pvtbee.jpghurri3_zpslu88fm3z.jpghurri2_zpssjo0gou2.jpgplans_zpseddw2krb.jpg

• Like 8

Hello Bernd, your camouflage templates look very good. Joe

• Like 1

Hello Bernd, your camouflage templates look very good. Joe

Thank you, Joe. Guess this will work as good as with my two ( still unfinished Fw 190s )

Hi Bernd, great start on your Hurricane. All looks really good to me mate. Good luck and welcome to the party :thumbsup:

Thank you, Gregor : ) So lets have fun

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Good to see some progress with your Hurricane project. It does look like the kit's going to need some TLC to fill all the sink holes and sort out the fit issues but I'm sure your the man for the job! I like the idea of the masks for the camouflage. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Good morning Stix, i hope that the week will be a bit more calmed with some time on the bench.

Old scool kits have their own challenges, like these sink marks, not too easy to solve, without damaging the fabric

• Like 1

Nice work Bernd.

You are doing a good job with a very old kit. Your masks are a good idea and I'm sure they will work well. I think your idea of attaching the upper wings to the fuselage first is also a very good one and I think will save a lot of filling.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Craig.

• Like 1

Hi Craig, thanks for the warm words. Masks like this are a solution, to get really sharp edges of the camo scheme. If this work quite good, there will be a lot of RAF aircraft land on my bench.

This kit or better, the mold has seen probably better days and test fitting is really needed.

There some more progress, will post this in the next days.

The squadron codes look a bit too dark ( its maybe me), so i put them for a couple of days in a bright window, i am using slightly lighter paints with smaller scale kits.

Did i mention, that i have messed the very clear canopy up, with too old future ? :(

Hello BoB modellers, here some progress from under the last week. Assembled some parts like the propeller, even one prob blade has a sinkhole.

The elevatores and the wheels got well together, the seat received some very simple seatbelts, made from painted Tamiya tape and yes, its together so far ! And the canopy is now clear.

The next steps will be some sanding, hope i have some time under the next week.

I wish you all a great Sunday evening and a good start into the new week

Bernd

props%20wheels%20elevators_zpsquksx5uv.jprop%20backside_zpshrxqgg1g.jpgseat%20belts%20on_zpskqk3yolu.jpgtogether%20with%20clamps_zps0hzkttxb.jpgtogether%20with%20clamps%202_zpscihgipec

• Like 8

Hi Bernd. Happy Sunday! Good to see more progress. Definitely looks like you've got a bit of filler to sand off in places! The seat looks great with the Tamiya tape seatbelts. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you very much, hope the weather in the U.K was much better than here. Humid, warm and rainy. The perfect match for a good modelling run at the bench.

Yes there is a lot of putty on the kit, but not applied before, i masked the raised lines, to protect them.

Best Wishes

Bernd :bye:

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. The weather has been quite pleasant today. The end of the week was a bit wet at times here in the Midlands but nowhere near as bad as parts of the country down south.

Good idea about masking the panel lines - I would never have thought of that - I will remember it for future reference! Thank you.

Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Bernd, your Hurricane is coming along really well. Keep up the good work. Joe

• Like 1

Hi Stix, you are lucky, the last weeks it was incredible hot here and my occupation of Job/Shop was quite exhausting.

May its time for a long overdue visit in the U.K for the next summer period.

Masking and saving raised panel lines in 2015 (!) is really fun and i am enjoying old scool modelling very much. The build brought also some older kits from my stash, more in my focus.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Hi Bernd, your Hurricane is coming along really well. Keep up the good work. Joe

Thank you Joe, after i have build some new tool kits ( one sits finished on my bench, awaiting better light conditions for photos ) i liked the idea to do some older kits as well, build by generations of modellers.

Its nearly time to get me some new RAF dark Earth and dark Green for this one

Have a great evening my friend

Bernd

• Like 1