C54 in US NAVY in three colours scheme

JWM

Hi

I found very interesting photo uf three C54 flying over Florida

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Douglas_C-54s_with_different_paint_schemes_over_Florida_c1945.jpeg

One is NMF, another Olive Drab/Neutral Gray an the thir one os in standard 1943-44 US Navy scheme. Can anybody tell something more on this three-colour machine? She is a completely unique for me. Am I wrong? Was it a kind of standard pattern for Navy C-54 (R5D) ?

Cheers

Jezry-Wojtek

• Like 1

Not positive but I think I can make out 'U S NAVY' on the overall dark machine. Also the nose emblem looks the same as that on the three-tone aircraft. Could the dark machine could be overall Sea Blue, rather than OD?

Not positive but I think I can make out 'U S NAVY' on the overall dark machine. Also the nose emblem looks the same as that on the three-tone aircraft. Could the dark machine could be overall Sea Blue, rather than OD?

If the picture comes from the Naval Aviation Museum, I would guess that the darker one is OD over Neutral Gray and belonged to the Marines. The Marines flew a number of different transport aircraft in Army colors during the war.

Later,

Dave