P-40M in RAAF service question

Spitfires Forever

I am threatening to actually start a kit after a bit of a hiatus and have chosen the Mauve 1/48 P-40M. I was thinking about doing an RAAF version. My questions are, was the M model used by the RAAF? And if so, we're the colors used RAAF green with the light/powder blue bottom? And if the undersides are indeed light blue, was the blue color Azure blue or a lighter shade of light blue, maybe similar to RLM colors?

I haven't been able to locate adaquate information aside from b&w photos of other models of Aussie P-40's used in the Pacific. Then there are the decals, can't forget about those right? Lots of questions no doubt, but I figure our Aussie Britmodeler mates would have some accurate information on these subjects.

Cheers

SA

Hi ,

Yes the RAAF used P40M A29-300 -389 plus A29- 204, 205 which were replacements for 2 lost at sea , but weren't used in service . Google in ADF Serials .You will find lots of info .

As for Decals have a look for DK decals at Hannants . Lots of Aussie Kittyhawks on the sheets

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Edited by Terry McGrady
  • Like 1

Hi ,

Yes the RAAF used P40M A29-300 -389 plus A29- 204, 205 which were replacements for 2 lost at sea , but weren't used in service . Google in ADF Serials .You will find lots of info .

As for Decals have a look for DK decals at Hannants . Lots of Aussie Kittyhawks on the sheets

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Thanks mate, I figured there would be someone who could help, now to get the colors right. I use MM enamels, supposedly the American version of dark green is really close, next the underside blue.

Cheers

If the aircraft you are modelling is foliage green with sky blue undersides, a good match for the FG out of the bottle is US Medium Green

RAAF sky blue can be matched with Israeli Pale Blue or sometimes I use a very lightened RLM76 or WEM do RAAF colours in their paint range

Cheers

Bruce

If your using MM Enamels, can I suggest that a reasonable match for RAAF Sky Blue would/could be their RLM76.

From what I've seen, many RAAF P-40M aircraft had three colour schemes, so you will also need to apply a Dark Earth shade as well.

To be honest, you may have prized open pandoras box here as you will also need to decide if your aircraft if finished in factory livery (i.e. Du Pont colours) or repainted locally in RAAF Foliage Green, Earth Brown and Sky Blue. Numerous publications recommend FS34092 for Foliage Green and MM do have this in their paint range. The RAAF Earth Brown is a kinda Chocloate colour, so not sure what MM have that matches this.

I can also recommend the DK decals sheet mentioned above. These are excellent, however be careful as you may end up wanting to build many more than one!

Cheers and good luck.. Dave.

Thanks to all. I have heard that the RLM 76 was a close approximation, and I imagine that after some significant weathering that the exact shade of green becomes less relevant. Colors are always a "Pandora's Box" that is why I try to get close as possible without stressing out on the color. As an aside, I just watched some You Tube RAAF footage from New Guinea and low and behold, there was one P-40N in what had to be a sand or tan color. Definitely an interesting twist. It would be fascinating to find out about that particular aircraft. There always seems to be one aircraft here and there that defies the norm, and thusly where my greatest interest always seem to lay.

Cheers

Tally Ho's set "Kittyhalk III. Part One" (48-35) has markings for A29-359, "Jen 1" coded MP-A in RAAF service. The instructions have it in Dark Earth/Foliage Green over "RAAF Sky Grey," for which they give an FS reference of 35622. They also recommend Model Master #1722, which is Duck Egg Blue 35622.

Edited by Seawinder

Tally Ho's set "Kittyhalk III. Part One" (48-35) has markings for A29-359, "Jen 1" coded MP-A in RAAF service. The instructions have it in Dark Earth/Foliage Green over "RAAF Sky Grey," for which they give an FS reference of 35622. They also recommend Model Master #1722, which is Duck Egg Blue 35622.

If the RAAF "Sky Grey" is a BALM paint, then it will most likely be the same as used on our RNZAF P40's.

The actual colour is a Blue/Green colour, which I believe is a copy (or attemp to copy) of the DuPont colour 71-021 Sky Type S - Grey.

Typically Aussies & Kiwi's just shortened it to Sky Grey.

Regards

Alan

Thanks again guys, I feel that I have enough info to get a good start. The P-40M is my favorite of the line. If it turns out good enough I may post some pics.

Cheers

If the RAAF "Sky Grey" is a BALM paint, then it will most likely be the same as used on our RNZAF P40's.

The actual colour is a Blue/Green colour, which I believe is a copy (or attemp to copy) of the DuPont colour 71-021 Sky Type S - Grey.

Typically Aussies & Kiwi's just shortened it to Sky Grey.

Regards

Alan

Well, FWIW, Tally Ho gives two different references for RAAF and RNZAF Sky Grey. For the latter they state FS 35352. I would characterize both it and 35622 has having a somewhat greenish cast.

Well, FWIW, Tally Ho gives two different references for RAAF and RNZAF Sky Grey. For the latter they state FS 35352. I would characterize both it and 35622 has having a somewhat greenish cast.

As there was no FS system in WWII RAAF/RNZAF paint colours (or any where for that matter) I'm dubious of companies quoting FS numbers especially for RAAF/RNZAF colours.

During WWII BALM manufactured paints for both New Zealand & Australia, and I find it interesting that a number of colours on aircraft are shared by the two forces.

Issues with the decal sheet

It's of interest that the ADF Serials website had listed A29-359 with 76 Squadron coded SV-X.

Edit thus photo link is of another 76 Squadron aircraft A29-354 SV-T looking at the lower colour IMHO its not Sky Grey (as in grey colour)

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/albums/Kittyhawk/P016344.jpg

I also note that the RNZAF P 40 M, they have listed with 4th F OTU??? NZ3061 served with 2 OTU at Ohakea and I would think the middle of the Pacific Roundel would be red not blue.

Concerning RAAF codes colours

However I have a document from the RAAF with orders for the markings and codes dated 4.1.43 the order comes under this heading:

A.F.C.O. A.3 - Code Letters for Operational and Reserve Squadrons

(62/1/271 - 4.1.43)

Skip to page 2

Section 9 reads: "The colour of the code letters is to be Dope Camouflage Sky Blue, Ident. No. K3/195 for all aircraft"

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

If my memory serves me adequately, the P40M was built to a Commonwealth order and painted in a fairly standard RAF pattern which varied slightly in colour, ergo; Dark Earth, Dark Green over Sky Gray (all USA manuf colours) or altered after delivery to USA forces with a colour known as 'Sand' over DE. To tone with the earth colours of the west pacific islands.

I understand that in RAAF service,mwhen a major service was due, P-40M/Kittyhawk III airframes were repainted into Australian Foliage Green over Sky (blue) or just overall Foliage Green, still with white identifiers, mostly after 1945 in the build up for the invasion of Japan.

I hope I'm not muddying the waters, but my references read so.

G

If my memory serves me adequately, the P40M was built to a Commonwealth order and painted in a fairly standard RAF pattern which varied slightly in colour, ergo; Dark Earth, Dark Green over Sky Gray (all USA manuf colours) or altered after delivery to USA forces with a colour known as 'Sand' over DE. To tone with the earth colours of the west pacific islands.

I understand that in RAAF service,mwhen a major service was due, P-40M/Kittyhawk III airframes were repainted into Australian Foliage Green over Sky (blue) or just overall Foliage Green, still with white identifiers, mostly after 1945 in the build up for the invasion of Japan.

G

Actually P40M Kittyhawk MKIII were re- painted by the end user, being supplied in OD/NG Some Users didn't repaint them ie Largest User Soviet Union , Brazillian Airforce , RNZAF as Alan states. USAAF obviously

GA*Q FR806 was an RAF example used in OD/NG

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Edited by Terry McGrady

As there was no FS system in WWII RAAF/RNZAF paint colours (or any where for that matter) I'm dubious of companies quoting FS numbers especially for RAAF/RNZAF colours.

Do we really have to argue the validity of FS numbers as an often convenient source of *approximate* color matches? In any case, at Peter Mossong's RNZAF web site, he has a photograph of a paint chip from a P-40 relic painted in (NZ) Sky Grey (BALM S13-907) laid atop an FS 35352 chip. They are a very close match:

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/rnzaf_paints.html

In the matter of the roundels, I should appreciate any clarification you can offer, but I've found nothing to indicate that RNZAF roundels in 1944 had red centers.

Edited by Seawinder

G

P 40M's receievd by the RNZAF were received under the Lend Lease act and arrived in USAAF colours of Olive Drab and Neutal Grey

This is an RNZAF P 40 off of Pete Mossongs site and is as delivered OD/NG

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/p40atmo.jpg

Colour photo

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/strip.jpg

One of the most famous RNZAF P 40M's was/is Geoff Fiskens "Wairarapa Wildcat" was in OD/NG - again from Pete Mossongs website

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/geofisk.jpg

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/nz3072b.jpg

Do we really have to argue the validity of FS numbers as an often convenient source of *approximate* color matches? In any case, at Peter Mossong's RNZAF web site, he has a photograph of a paint chip from a P-40 relic painted in (NZ) Sky Grey (BALM S13-907) laid atop an FS 35352 chip. They are a very close match:

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/rnzaf_paints.html

In the matter of the roundels, I should appreciate any clarification you can offer, but I've found nothing to indicate that RNZAF roundels in 1944 had red centers.

Re: Pete Mossongs comments about Sky Grey, Pete states thus

(NZ) Sky Grey: BALM S13-907. 33B/293 (Fs.35352 - RAF/FAA Sky Grey Bs.631). Although called a grey, it has a destinctly blue/green tone to it. Undersides on P-40, Ventura, Hudson, possibly Corsair, and code letters.

If you look closely at the colour chip comment supplied on Pete's site he states thus:

A paint chip taken from the underside of P- 40N NZ3220 'Gloria Lyons', compared to the closest Fs.595b colours. This is the outside of the chip. The inner surface is close to Neutral Gray! Via Anthony Galbraith.

I stand by my previous statement in my post above that I believe the colour NZ Sky Grey is an attempt to copy the DuPont colour 71-021 Sky Type S - Grey which is the colour of the undersides of P 40E's which arrived in New Zealand in 1942.

This link shows the actual DuPont colour 71-021 I have in my possession.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Yff6LKWML1VS00MVFaR04ycjg/view?usp=sharing

During WWII, in the Pacific, the RNZAF had the Pacific Roundel, Blue/White/ Blue (red centre being changed, as trigger happy allies thought our aircraft were Japanese). This roundel was in use on aircraft in the forward operating theatres.

Back in New Zealand the Pacific roundel was also in use on some aircraft, F4U Corsairs come to mind. The blue on this was different to the Pacific Roundel in the Forward theatres, it was known as "Ident Blue"

Aircraft used in training/ other tasks (Ansons/Oxfords/Harvards et el) in New Zealand, still retained the red centre in the RNZAF Roundel.

P 40's were used in training aircrew in single engined fighters . There is a good profile of a P 40K used for training 4 OTU Ohakea June 1944, in New Zealand on page 33, of Charles Darby's "RNZAF- The First Decade" with a red centre in fuselage roundel with the Ident blue outer, see bottom image on link below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Yff6LKWML1Mk1JTTItaHhzQzg/view?usp=sharing

P 40's arriving back in New Zealand in 1944 from the frontline forward areas, retained the Pacific Roundel for a period, or till wars end. Those that were not placed in open storage (Rukuhia) were turned trainer

Many were given repaints in Foliage Green/ Sky Grey and its probable that the Pacific Roundel had a red centre added again

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

As delivered? Sure looks like two colors on top to me?

bob

And you didn't notice the RAAF Roundel under the wing ? :photo:

Somehow I managed to put in the link to the RAAF 76 Sqn P 40 M, from a post further above, all fixed now :D

Speaking of multi colours, some RNZAF P 40 M's did have the "Medium Green" splotches.

Regards

Alan

Well, I did have an intuitive feeling that it was simply the wrong photo- guess I stopped looking, or rather, seeing (or is it 'thinking'?) once I spotted one contradiction!

bob

p.s. I do like those stripes...

Edited by gingerbob

The colour standard is BS 381 and the colour id is 631 Light Grey. The closest BS wartime colour is Light Battleship Grey.

It is close to FS 26314 @ 2.33 where less than 2.0 = a close match, just a little lighter than that. Reflectivity of 631 is approx 32% so it is far from being a 'bright' light grey and is actually a Munsell Green (G) but just tipping over from Green Yellow (GY).

It is nothing like RAF Sky Grey which is at 5.65 and has a reflectivity of 43%.

It is even less like Dupont 71-021 @ 14.0. The reflectivity of 71-021 is towards RAF Sky Blue at approx 50%.

To state that FS 35352 and 631 share a comparison similarity to another colour is nonsense. The difference between them is 6.69 and 35352 is a Munsell Blue Green (BG). In the linked comparison no account appears to have been taken of probable age degradation and chalking of the paint surface. It is unfathomable why the reverse of the paint sample should appear to be like Neutral Grey unless an overpaint has resulted in the under coat becoming permanently fused with the overcoat.

But the comparison probably explains why so many modellers still insist on painting export P-40s light grey underneath. Why do I even bother?

Nick

PS Foliage Green and Medium Green 42 are not similar colours either. That idea probably originates from the fact that the Humbrol Authentics US Medium Green was more like RAAF Foliage Green! For anyone remotely interested in colour fact rather than colour opinion Medium Green 42 is analysed on my blog.

• Like 1

Actually P40M Kittyhawk MKIII were re- painted by the end user, being supplied in OD/NG Some Users didn't repaint them ie Largest User Soviet Union , Brazillian Airforce , RNZAF as Alan states. USAAF obviously

GA*Q FR806 was an RAF example used in OD/NG

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Thanks for the correction.

I was aware P-40N /Kittyhawk IV were delivered unpainted, but not Kittyhawk III.

G

I was aware P-40N /Kittyhawk IV were delivered unpainted, but not Kittyhawk III.

G

It was somewhere in the P40K production - K-15 that the USAAF insisted that Curtiss deliver the Airframes in OD/NG , as Curtiss business practices were such that they were charging more for DFS painted Airframes than they were for OD/NG .

The P40M were the last series to be repainted by the RAAF as standard . The reasons why the RNZAF A/C were not repainted was the time and resourses it took . When the Kittyhawk MKIV ( P40N ) variants started arriving in Australia , the " Trickle" became a" Flood " and The RAAF experienced similar shortages of resources and manpower required to re-paint so many Airframes before they entered service

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Hello folks, lots of great info, but as we all know this color controversy is always a "sticky wicket" to say the least. From what I have seen it seems that the underside grey color could be a combination of colors. The confusion seems to manifest itself in current NZA and RAAF warbirds. I have been looking at pictures of various lend lease aircraft currently in museums in NZ and Oz and the underside blue on these aircraft run from Azure blue, Soviet aquamarine, powder/light blue, etc., but haven't seen an P-40 in the suggested color as of yet.. What I might do is try to match a color chip and trust the rest to luck. I do have a question about the NZ roundels, when did the roundels go tfrom the dark blue surround and white center to the lighter blue thick surround with the gold/yellow outline? Another question is about the time frame regarding the white center turning to a light blue, or was that just an RAF CBI thing? I have noticed some aircraft with the dark blue surround and light blue center in pictures, were these the result of various ministry edicts?

Cheers

G

Initial RAAF P 40N's were delivered in OD/NG - Note there was some tooing and froing between the USAAF and RAAF,

Later on there were some airframes with both the RAAF and USAAF having OD/NG and NMF.

The USAAF had a large pool of these aircraft in Aussie at the time.

RNZAF P 40N's were All OD/NG

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/lsn.jpg

Hello folks, lots of great info, but as we all know this color controversy is always a "sticky wicket" to say the least. From what I have seen it seems that the underside grey color could be a combination of colors. The confusion seems to manifest itself in current NZA and RAAF warbirds. I have been looking at pictures of various lend lease aircraft currently in museums in NZ and Oz and the underside blue on these aircraft run from Azure blue, Soviet aquamarine, powder/light blue, etc., but haven't seen an P-40 in the suggested color as of yet.. What I might do is try to match a color chip and trust the rest to luck. I do have a question about the NZ roundels, when did the roundels go tfrom the dark blue surround and white center to the lighter blue thick surround with the gold/yellow outline? Another question is about the time frame regarding the white center turning to a light blue, or was that just an RAF CBI thing? I have noticed some aircraft with the dark blue surround and light blue center in pictures, were these the result of various ministry edicts?

Cheers

Changes in RNZAF Roundels pretty much started with the arrival of the first US supplied aircraft to the RNZAF.

P 40E's arrived with RAF type roundels which were DuPont Insignia colours.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/P40sOhakeaSmall.jpg

From 1943 things began to change with the Pacific type Roundel making an appearance ( you could have two aircraft in one squadron with both RAF style and Pacific Roundel) as in these 14 (F) Squadron P40E's

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/14Sqn.jpg

With my post above about "Home based" aircraft still having the red centre , it was the aircraft departing for the war zone who had changes made to. That doesn't mean to say home based aircraft didn't wear the "Away" roundel - All very confusing I know. :mental:

This is an airfield after the P 40's had returned back to New Zealand, ( the F4U-1 taking their place) note the roundel differences

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/P40ssmall.jpg

Of course with RNZAF aircraft entering the fray against the Japanese, the"Red Meat ball" in the roundel centre became a problem. Too many RNZAF pilots on the receiving end of some trigger happy "Allied" pilots because they saw "Red" (Spilt Enz pun not intended :analintruder: )

The Roundel then went through a dramatic change, with the red meat ball being changed to a 1 inch dot (I kid you not)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/PR1444small.jpg

From there the Roundel evolved even more till the Roundel everyone it seems associates WWII RNZAF aircraft

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/GloriaandErica.jpg

The important thing to remember is that the Forward based aircraft Pacific Roundel didn't fade to that silly electric blue colour.

If the roundel was to fade too much, the US star would show though as in this photo

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/nz5064p.jpg

I pointed this out to a modeller building the new Tamiya F4U-a on another forum (including above photo) and was acussed of being a rivet counter - Obviiously we Kiwi's don't know what our own Air Force looks like :shrug: (mini rant over)

This quick summary is very basic, and is more involved. There is a very good article written by a Kiwi, which goes quite indepth

into the whole evolution. PM me if you woul like to read it

The Light Blue middle was further West.....

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Initial RAAF P 40N's were delivered in OD/NG - Note there was some tooing and froing between the USAAF and RAAF,

Later on there were some airframes with both the RAAF and USAAF having OD/NG and NMF.

The USAAF had a large pool of these aircraft in Aussie at the time.

RNZAF P 40N's were All OD/NG

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/lsn.jpg

Changes in RNZAF Roundels pretty much started with the arrival of the first US supplied aircraft to the RNZAF.

P 40E's arrived with RAF type roundels which were DuPont Insignia colours.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/P40sOhakeaSmall.jpg

From 1943 things began to change with the Pacific type Roundel making an appearance ( you could have two aircraft in one squadron with both RAF style and Pacific Roundel) as in these 14 (F) Squadron P40E's

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/14Sqn.jpg

With my post above about "Home based" aircraft still having the red centre , it was the aircraft departing for the war zone who had changes made to. That doesn't mean to say home based aircraft didn't wear the "Away" roundel - All very confusing I know. :mental:

This is an airfield after the P 40's had returned back to New Zealand, ( the F4U-1 taking their place) note the roundel differences

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/P40ssmall.jpg

Of course with RNZAF aircraft entering the fray against the Japanese, the"Red Meat ball" in the roundel centre became a problem. Too many RNZAF pilots on the receiving end of some trigger happy "Allied" pilots because they saw "Red" (Spilt Enz pun not intended :analintruder: )

The Roundel then went through a dramatic change, with the red meat ball being changed to a 1 inch dot (I kid you not)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/PR1444small.jpg

From there the Roundel evolved even more till the Roundel everyone it seems associates WWII RNZAF aircraft

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/GloriaandErica.jpg

The important thing to remember is that the Forward based aircraft Pacific Roundel didn't fade to that silly electric blue colour.

If the roundel was to fade too much, the US star would show though as in this photo

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/nz5064p.jpg

I pointed this out to a modeller building the new Tamiya F4U-a on another forum (including above photo) and was acussed of being a rivet counter - Obviiously we Kiwi's don't know what our own Air Force looks like :shrug: (mini rant over)

This quick summary is very basic, and is more involved. There is a very good article written by a Kiwi, which goes quite indepth

into the whole evolution. PM me if you woul like to read it

The Light Blue middle was further West.....

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

I think that answers my question, and makes sense at the same time, ya gotta love that. I do have an extra Tamiya Corsair, maybe I.need to increase my ANZAC collection. so far I got a Spit Mk VIII and an SBD dive bomber in the bright blue roundel with bars.

Thanks for your input brother.

Cheers