Airfix 1/72 F-4B VF-21 'Freelancers' USS Midway, June 1965

Hey everyone and here's the latest from me, finished for the Phantom GB here on Britmodeller.

Yes, it's Airfix's ancient (1971 issue) F-4B Phantom that I think I bought out of sheer nostalgia and also after reading the excellent Osprey book pictured below (which has the kit's wingman on the cover).

Airfix_F4_Phantom_kit_box__zpspfbxfh5u.j

The full WIP thread is here but to recap:

Kit: Airfix 04013 F-4B Phantom 1/72
Details: Some panel lines rescribed, Eduard Zoom photoetch for the kits seats and cockpit (which was scratchbuilt)
Paint: White from a rattle can, all other paints Revell Acrylic, brush-painted. Johnson' Klear, Flory Models Wash, W&N Matt varnish
Decals: Mix of Airfx kit for the Stars & Bars and Afterburner decals for squadron markings,
A/c: VF-21 'Freelancers' of Lt Dave Batson & LCDR Rob Doremus, Callsign 'Sundown 102', USS Midway, 17 June 1965 - Mig 17 shotdown.
Definitely not the most detailed or accurate F-4 kit out there by a long way but it was the first time I used etch, first time I built an F-4 and I had a lot of fun with the build. She might be a little too Matt in finish (hard to tell when most of the pictures were B&W) but I'm happy how the old girl cleaned up and I think she looks like a Phantom!
Airfix_F-4B_Phantom_04013_Right_1_zpsvpv
Airfix_F-4B_Phantom_04013_Left_1_zpsovwi
Airfix_F-4B_Phantom_04013_Left_R_zps9ycp
Airfix_F-4B_Phantom_04013_profile_L_zpsj
Airfix_F-4B_Phantom_04013_Left_Front_zps
Thanks for looking and until the next time!

Dermot
  • Like 15

Well for an older kit, she's scrubbed up pretty nicely, especially in those markings.

Although I prefer my builds "cleaner" I like this a lot,

Sean

• Like 1

Hello,Dermo 245 - Your build is a to be treasured trip down memory lane.Your modelling skills have created a nostalgic joy to behold.Phabulous! All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A really great looking Phantom Dermot. The weathering looks very good. Joe

• Like 1