VEB Plasticart Tupolev TU-104A Aeroflot 80's scheme

The VEB Plasticart TU-104 is,as far as I know,the only injection moulded 1/100 model kit that was / is available.

It's one of Plasticart's earlier releases,wich means that there are pretty much no details on the kit.The main purpose of this kit was more of a toy rather than a display model.

It has only a few parts and its actually a quick build...till someone has the idea of making a decent model out of it and it comes to the filling and sanding.Thats where the real fun on this kit starts...

The most problematic area is the wing with its embedded engines.To get a seamless fit from the engines to the fuselage is a pretty frustating task and one is really happy in the end that no panellines are on the model,as they would have been surely gone after all the filling and sanding :winkgrin:

Once everything looks the part,the rest of the assembly is straight forward.

The decals in this kit were impossible to use due to the extreme yellowing.

So I ordered a new set by BSModelle from Kiew and got the Aeroflot 80s paint scheme,as I already have the TU-114 in the old Aeroflot livery.

The decals are nice to work with,the only question that rose up in me when applying them was...For wich 1/100 TU-104 kit were these decals made ??

They were too long,had too many emergency doors,or whatever these frames are,and less windows than the model kit.

In the end I managed to get them on my TU-104 and they look fine.

But I would suggest the manufacturer to get a more accurate data on the Plasticart kit...

The TU-104 was the first Soviet jetliner and was produced out of the TU-114.Similarities are more than evident in the design.

The aircraft served reliable for more than 2 decades for Aeroflot and other East European airlines from the early 60's till the 80's.

Finally the work is done and I have another VEB Plasticart kit to include to my ever growing collection of these charming East German models.

Thanks for looking

2015-07-19%2019.55.35_zpsdlcyqlqk.jpg

2015-07-19%2019.55.55_zpsbfujffox.jpg

2015-07-19%2019.56.15_zps9mf9qqxu.jpg

2015-07-19%2019.56.52_zpspwjf6rgq.jpg

• Like 14

The kit may be toylike but the build is serious business, and flawless to boot!

You mentioned a collection: is there a link to see the other samples? I only have the An-14, but love to see these kits built up, especially with such TLC.

Ostalgie much?

• Like 1

The kit may be toylike but the build is serious business, and flawless to boot!

You mentioned a collection: is there a link to see the other samples? I only have the An-14, but love to see these kits built up, especially with such TLC.

Ostalgie much?

Thank you Bonehammer.

Here are the links to my other VEB Plasticart kits

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977150-veb-tupolev-tu-114-aeroflot/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975127-veb-plasticarts-ilyjushin-il-18-interflug-1100/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972639-antonov-an-24-interflug-veb-plasticart-1100/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971324-old-east-german-kits-by-veb-plasticart-il-62-tu-154-tu-134-boeing-727/

If you click on my name above the threads you can see all my listings and work in progress reports on some of the Plasticart model kits.

Alex

Here are the links to my other VEB Plasticart kits

I took a look at your other work and backed off very fast because i was starting to get the impression that these things could actually be built!...
  • Like 1

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: Top model!! And top finish. Nice to see an old kit with new paint.. I think I got this kit too when we go to GDR in the 1970`s for a visit.

You made it sparkling!!!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.

@ Jessica...its indeed very hard to find.It cost me a fortune to get it into my collection.

These kits are sold at ridiculous high prices but I had to get one.Sort of an obsession I guess I have with these Plasticart kits :blush: