Airfix Spitfire Mk 1 & ICM Bf109E double build

On the 30th August 1940, Fw. Ernst Arnold's 3./JG27 Bf109E-1 Yellow 12 was attacked & damaged by the Spitfire Mk 1 of New Zealander Flt Off Brian Carbury , 603 sqn. Arnold was forced to crash land his aircraft & taken prisoner. His aircraft was only lightly damaged & subsequently put on display.

No, I'm not doing to do any dios of the action of crash landing or display, simply pretty much OOB builds of the two subject aircraft using decals from the Southern Expo BoB 70th anniversary sheet which featured both of these aircraft. The lack of mottling on Yellow 12 is an attraction, as is the JG27 badge on the cowl. I'll need to modify the wing to E-1 configuration. Carberry's Spitfire will be OOB. I'd have used the Airfix Bf109 if only they'd included the earlier canopy with it, a chance missed here I reckon.

The obligatory sprue & decal shot.

BoB WiP

The 1st tentative steps. I know I'm late for the off but hell, I've still got over 3 months right. :) Anyway , some interior colour splashed around, Vallejo 70886 for the RLM02 in the Bf109 & Hu78 lightened up with some sky to hopefully be closer to the paler shade Supermarine used on their Spits. The fiddle will start from here with some interior details & the ICM kit has some flash to be tidied off some parts, but it doesn't look like it'll be too hard a build, I hope :unsure:

BoB WiP 2_zpsls1lwdya

Edited by stevehnz
replace images
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hells bells, I didn't realise how long it was since I'd updated this. :( I've a bad habit when I do get to the modelling table of modelling rather than taking pictures of what I'm doing so not very imaginative or illustrative, sorry.

DSCF2579

DSCF2580

Wings on & undersides painted. I had to fill gaps in board of the U/C leg mounts with some light card to prevent a see thru to the cockpit. The various cowl panels took very little fettling to get a good fit, the prop was a pig to get it located in the same plane as the backing plate, it was crooked to the shaft. I used some Aeromaster Russian underside blue initially but still wasn't quite happy with it so resorted to a mix of Hu 65,44 & 34 in 3:2:1 ratio over this & was happy enough with that.

DSCF2583

Starting to look like a Messerschmitt.

DSCF2584

Some topside colour on, I'm using Aeromaster RLM70 & 71 this is with one coat of 71 & a second coat on the bits that will stay 71. The camo pattern on the decal sheet was impossible to make out, the two greens were very close so I'm using an early war pattern I've down loaded off the net & hoping it is OK.

More to come before too long. I've been working on the two Bf109s for this & the ATF GB & the Spitfire has been a bit ignored. Best I rectify that toot sweet. ;)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
replace images
  • Like 1

Top colours on the bf109 now & masking removed. Still some touching up to do but heading in the right direction.

DSCF2591

meanwhile, the opposition, one of Stephen Bungay's "Most Dangerous Enemy" has been having some attention. The cockpit module is in, & ready to join the fuselage. I added masking tape safety belts & a clear reflector site element rather than the molded plastic one. The way both Airfix & ICM have done their Bf109 reflector sites is far better, molded in clear allowing one to simply paint the lower regions the appropriate colour(s).

DSCF2588

& here it is, all buttoned up & waiting for some paint. Stand by. :)

DSCF2589

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
replace images
  • Like 3

Underside with 1st coat.

DSCF2595

I'm using Aeromaster Sky, possibly a slightly too deep colour but as the decal colour call is for this to have its undersides in Eau-de-Nil, maybe not very reliable, I'm figuring this shade gives me a quid each way.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a long while since an update, so here are some pictures of progress. I should be able to decal these in the next day or so & then it'll be time for a matt coat & attach the sticky out, knocky off bits to complete.

DSCF2597

DSCF2598

This last is just me having a wee daydream.

DSCF2599

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 4

Those are looking very spiffy Steve B)

...This last is just me having a wee daydream.

DSCF2599.jpg

Steve.

...and were you making aeroplane engine noises and machine-gunfire while you were having your wee daydream? Come on Steve, you're amongst friends here...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

'course I was Stew. :D

I'm calling these done now. The Airfix Spitfire was a dream to build, the ICM Bf 109E less so, lovely fine detail but it didn't go together as well as the Airfix kit I did for the BoB build at ATF which was a bit clunkier but went together easier.

The two protagonists, Flt Lt Carberry with the upper hand.

DSCF2604

As they may have looked before the fateful mission.

DSCF2605

Fbw Arnold's Bf109E-1

DSCF2606

DSCF2607

& the victors Spitfire Mk I

DSCF2608

DSCF2609

& in company with a friend, from the BoB build on ATF, the new tool Airfix kit with the decals from the last boxing of the old tool, I liked the look of them better.:)

DSCF2612

A first up for me doing three kits at once, really enjoyed it though & it didn't seem to take too much longer as I was able to work on one while waiting for the others to dry/set.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2