Electric Warrior: 1/144 CF-101 Voodoo, Miniwing

My next entry in this group build is the MiniWing McDonnell CF-101 Voodoo, which actually is a re-release of an old FE-Resin kit. As usual, the kit comes in a cheap cardboard board with the only use of WordArt I've seen outside tacky flyers and parish newsletters:

Voodoo1-1_zpso1qsfbyo.jpg

The fuselage is cast as a hefty single piece, though a piece of the tail was missing in the box (probably something wrong with the casting). The nose is a sepearate piece, probably because Miniwing also released an RF-101 with a different nose.

Voodoo1-3_zpsiuibhw8c.jpg

The wings, nose and exhausts come on fairly inconvenient casting blocks, and it will be tricky to remove them cleanly. I will probably saw off a part of the casting block and file it off. Two vacuform canopies are provided, and I will need to break out a new scalpel blade for this. By the way, the tail's not warped as it seems in this picture, the fuselage isn't sitting perfectly flat. Strangely enough, only one seat is provided, and some pieces don't seem to have a place to be glued on to, like the two L-shaped blocks next to the part with the ventral strakes (just above the fuselage). Unless they're supposed to be seats.

Voodoo1-2_zpsovzu1un4.jpg

Voodoo1-5_zpsjfw4eqeu.jpg

Instructions are a simple exploded view copyrighted to Erik Faustus, showing the kit's lineage. Confusingly, they indicate the jet intakes as separate parts but these weren't separate parts for neither the FE Resin nor this kit

Voodoo1-4_zpscdrf0dzd.jpg

The kit offers two markings: a CF-101 from 409 Squadron and an all-black one (my choice) from 414 Squadron. The latter doesn't seem to be the EF-101 as the provided serial number is different from the EF-101's, and it's lacking an underfuselage pod and some bumps under the nose. I expect the decals, which are ALPS, to be awful, based on past experiences with decals from the same printer. Later Miniwing kits have their decals designed by JBr Decals.

At the moment I'm trying to get off the wings, exhausts and nose from their casting blocks with a minimum of fuss while keeping their bases nice and flat. Hopefully it should be one of these 'goes-together-quickly-after-cleanup' kits.

Edited by atvd1020
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard to the build and another interesting model brought along.

The box artwork is interesting as you mentioned, though the resin moulding doesn't look too bad from the photos. Does seem odd that the instructions are a bit different to the actual model...they must have revised the the mouldings at some stage.

I agree that the black colour scheme is a must, it looks amazing.

well good luck with the build and hope it's fun, it is a really interesting model and should look amazing when finished.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after shoulder problems, work and too much Hotline Miami I have made progress with this kit.

The wings were very fine but came off neatly from their casting blocks. Fortunately, they weren't warped. A first for me: I added some attachment pins from copper wire to the wings.

Voodoo2-1_zpshsteh2mk.jpg

It was quite dicey, in a 'measure thrice, align twice and glue once' way. After some filler at the wing roots the nose cone went on:

Voodoo2-2_zpswttodtkc.jpg

I wanted to make sure I didn't sand off too much of its base while flattening it, and make it narrower than the rest of the nose, so the gap was filled in with super glue and then putty. The tail was rather warped:

Voodoo2-3_zpsimrypwbt.jpg

but I was able to straighten it out with the help of a hairdryer. I then put together and painted the cockpit to try out the decals. They worked better than expected, and certainly looked the part for 1/144:

Voodoo2-5_zpsjg2d8fln.jpg

The instrument panel decals were 'one size fits all', though one panel was smaller than the other. After this, the tailplanes went on, trying to get their dihedral right:

Voodoo2-4_zpsmshwyahn.jpg

Though it's not clear from the picture, the tailplanes are rather warped and I still need to fix this. Then the exhausts have to go on (and they still need a flat mating surface, groan).

I think I will do this kit wheels up as the plane feels rather too massive for the undercarriage to hold its weight in the long run.