"England expects...", 242 Sqn Hurricane LE-T

Well, I've decided to throw my hat in the ring!

As I've got plenty of time before the next round of my degree course starts AND I've already been away for my summer hols AND the garden is pretty much up straight, I figure I've got enough time to complete this kit in good time.

I'll be making the recent Airfix 1/48th Hurricane as LE-T of 242 Sqn based at Duxford, the aircraft was flown by Sub Lt "Jimmy" Gardner RNVR and features the signal flags of the famous signal from the Battle of Trafalgar "England expects that every man will do his duty" as noseart. The decals come from the recent Xtradecal X48146.

Here's a link to a profile of Gardner http://www.n5490.org/Pilots/Gardner/Gardner.html

I'll post up pictures of the kit and stuff over the next couple of days.

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 5

Right, the sun is shining and I should be out tending to the tomatoes, chillies, peppers, beans and digging up the garlic, instead I'm going down to the relative cool of the den to make a start on this...

20150719_113702%20800x637.jpg

As you can see, I've got plenty of info on the Hurricane but I don't intend to get too bogged down in detail. The kit will be mostly SFTB.

• Like 7

Right, the sun is shining and I should be out tending to the tomatoes, chillies, peppers, beans and digging up the garlic, instead I'm going down to the relative cool of the den to make a start on this...

20150719_113702%20800x637.jpg

As you can see, I've got plenty of info on the Hurricane but I don't intend to get too bogged down in detail. The kit will be mostly SFTB.

Looks like you are in the middle of Operation Market Garden . Hope the Hurricane doesnt blow your runner beans down :)

• Like 1

I'm in, can never have too many Hurricanes!

Nick

Thanks - I think

Looks like you are in the middle of Operation Market Garden . Hope the Hurricane doesnt blow your runner beans down :)

They're Haricots Vert - it would need to be un Ouragan :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this one done Wez.

You probably know this already but beware that the aircraft wearing the flags (serial unknown and the codes LE-T `presumed') wasn`t the well known V7203/ LE-T which was also associated with Jimmy Gardner (photo- https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Tp0fBZX-5-oC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=hurricane+242+sqn+le-t&source=bl&ots=AwnMZD8fc0&sig=41Kz70x_7Y86EycDxfihNnP38s0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAmoVChMIxqGUmsqUxwIVdEfbCh0X-gt6#v=onepage&q=hurricane%20242%20sqn%20le-t&f=false) because if you compare the camouflage of the aircraft with the flags to the one of V7203 in the page indicated you`ll notice that they have different camouflage patterns!

I also doubt that it had the flags on the other side saying `Every man to do his duty', although I could very well be wrong!

Hope you get started soon,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Looking forward to seeing this one done Wez.

You probably know this already but beware that the aircraft wearing the flags (serial unknown and the codes LE-T `presumed') wasn`t the well known V7203/ LE-T which was also associated with Jimmy Gardner (photo- https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Tp0fBZX-5-oC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=hurricane+242+sqn+le-t&source=bl&ots=AwnMZD8fc0&sig=41Kz70x_7Y86EycDxfihNnP38s0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAmoVChMIxqGUmsqUxwIVdEfbCh0X-gt6#v=onepage&q=hurricane%20242%20sqn%20le-t&f=false) because if you compare the camouflage of the aircraft with the flags to the one of V7203 in the page indicated you`ll notice that they have different camouflage patterns!

I also doubt that it had the flags on the other side saying `Every man to do his duty', although I could very well be wrong!

Hope you get started soon,

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the information, regarding "Every man... etc..", there is in fairness, a cautionary note to that effect in the Xtradecal instructions.

I've started the kit but as you of all people appreciate (having made a couple of these kits), there is a lot of prep to be done before you have anything tangible to show although I was hoping to post some progress tonight.

I've decided to take a different approach in construction, I've glued the main spars to the lower wings first and will glue the cockpit floor/undercarriage bay roof in place before adding the cockpit side structure - I figured I wouldn't be able to get everything square if I followed the Airfix instructions... ...dunno if that's going work but I'm committed now.

Wez

Edited by Wez