Spitfire I, DW-O 610 Squadron *COMPLETED*

Since no one else is doing a Spitfire for this group build I thought that I had better give it a go!

My entry is the newish 1/72 Airfix offering. I built one previously for the first WHIF. Build and it went together very easily, so I know what to expect.

I have chosen 610 Squadron because pre war they lived just down the road in Hooton Park in Ellesmere Port. This is now "The Home of the Astra" and what is left of the runway is now where newly built vehicles are parked. Some of the hangars are now used by The Griffin Trust.

http://www.griffintrust.org.uk

So then, the stickies in the kit are nice but not relevant

061D56E7-AF5B-4E01-8246-5723A7539D56_zps

So I needed an alternate set of markings and finally settled on these by Eagle Cal

D3BF50AE-C9A2-4905-8098-147DCD63FE7A_zps
3646D9A0-A3B0-4D5C-B31F-5624EEB9CCD5_zps

L1016 DW-Q. Fat, dumb and happy I posted images in the Chat section of the Group Build, only to be told that it was lost in May 1940 and so was ineligible for the build!

Curses.

However I was advised that there was an identical machine albeit with a new serial. So that was a possibility. However I then saw this image of DW-O.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/610sqdn-spit1.jpg

No serial as it was painted out (never applied in the first place?). Then I noticed the tail flash and it's reversed with the blue leading like in pre war rudder stripes. So with a couple of snips of a sharp scalpel, I could make the Q an O and I could cobble the stripes. These look a quality product and there are masses of stencils too.

Sorted.

So then the box shot

E90E02FD-27F1-4A6F-A082-EECC748D6A2C_zps

(Must say the quality of the brush has improved).

The contents

02858A7F-842B-4B8B-A96E-39A25020789D_zps

I don't envisage much detailing over and above lap straps. I'm undecided whether to fill in the trenches or not. I'll have a think about that. Hopefully it will be an easy build (famous last words).

I will also probably finish off a rag wing Airfix Hurricane too - 80% complete its of course ineligible but will be the ideal companion when finished.

I should start shortly.

Of course there are two complications. I need to complete my French Mosquito and in two weeks I have to start my FAA Sabre for WHIF III!

Busy times.......

Trevor

• Like 8

So then.....

A fairly simple build, I glued the wings together along with the oil cooler. The three main parts of the cockpit were then assembled. Theprop was next. That's another three parts accounted for. Interior green and aluminium on the fuselage parts was then applied.

Tomorrow I crack open the black and will also paint the seat red(ish).

Photos

4AA7C35B-E014-4E9E-BCF4-C727091E2881_zps

2FACF2B5-C602-4EDC-8C5D-9EECFBC0F0EB_zps

ABF1744E-93D7-4944-83D3-0DC56FD4AD14_zps

CE400A9B-9D4B-4B61-80A7-5DD191B12C58_zps

This is sooo much less hassle than the Mosquito (that I have yet to finish).

More soon.

Trevor

• Like 3

Mind the tolerances on this kit. They are so fine that paint on the glue joint areas will give you a gap fore and aft of the cockpit parts. A little bit taken off the i/p and bulkhead with a fine file helps too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The plan is to have it structurally complete by the weekend (I tend to only model in short bursts and in the later evening).

Stay tuned!

Trevor

• Like 1

Small update but no photos tonight as it's all small stuff.

Highlights and lowlights to the cockpit wall ribs and footrests with thinned down black (lowlights) running into the crevices and a dry brush with a light grey over the top for the highlights. Everyone else seems to be painting their pilot seats red, so I reached for my Citadel 'Khorne Red'. It looks suitably towards the darker end of red and is not a million miles away from the terra cotta shade found in the markings. The radiator front and back, together with the prop spinner and wheels including hub were all given a coat of Citadel 'Abaddon Black'. I can pick out the hub with a dry brushing of aluminium, leaving the holes in the spokes black to give an illusion of depth. I intend to paint the blades in a different black for some contrast. I do like Citadel acrylics for the basic colours. They hand brush easily and even more so with just a hint of water on the bristles. As an aside the brush that came with the starter kit is very nice for fine detail - it's an Airfix/Humbrol #2. I'm guessing the bristles are some sort of hair? They are too fine and smooth to be acrylic?

My (failing memory) suggests that whilst the spinner was matt, the blades had a slight sheen. I'll ferret around for pix.

Thanks for dropping in :)

Trevor

Cockpit assembly completed there was no reason to avoid sticking the fuselage together.

Then the main wing.

Then the tailplane.

Suddenly I have a nearly completed Spitfire! I only needed filler at the rear fuselage and wing joint. Everything else just seems to be a gentle rubbing down to make the joints disappear.

Pictures soon!

Trevor

Pix as promised. At this rate I aim to have it primed by close of play tomorrow!

Here is the underside. The join between the rear of the wing part and the fuselage needed only the lightest of a smear by filler.

DDCF501A-CB2E-403B-A8BA-B5460CDEF561_zps

BCFAB7F8-2BDF-43C3-A021-36B1E7367657_zps

General view of the nose and cokpit

57D3C8D6-449A-485A-A2CF-96AC2ECD047A_zps

More soon!

Trevor

• Like 4

Good evening viewer(s). Now where was I?

In the last chapter I was within an ace of priming as there were only a couple of issues to resolve. First off was attaching the radiator after having painted the inside in black (for the radiator grill) and the rest in Sky. Then the oil cooler under the nose.

3D0132A1-E6BF-4CD3-9608-4AE177B12797_zps

Done.

I had rubbed down the joints in preparation also. Not that there was much that needed my attentions as this is a well fitting model. As warned by others here, the tolerences are somewhat tight, so I have to remember to scrape the mating surfaces of paint to ensure a good fit (not that liquid poly is particularly good at sticking through paint anyway!).

Also done.

So this was it then. Humbrol rattle can primer time :hobbyhorse:

8F7FFC47-8513-4BC9-8D2C-3A878843AE9A_zps

Although you can't see it too clearly above, there appeared a join on the upper cowling near the front. A quick pass with filler and a rub-down will see to that.

And the underside..........

B4BAE42F-13F7-4225-91C6-FD571BE26F35_zps

That'll do!

I didn't mention before, but this Spitfire was one of a pair of Airfix starter kits that I received as a gift last Christmas, the other being the newer rag-wing Hurricane. I had started that early in the new year and had got to the point of priming that too, albeit several months ago and then surprise, surprise I mislaid my mojo somewhere. So now it seems logical to finish that at the same time as well as the Spitfire, so it will be making guest appearances in this thread too. Of course it's ineligable to be a formal part of the BoB Group Build, but it would be a shame to leave it out, as I will have the paints out and the brushes loaded.

So here it is masked up

E7794255-E814-4128-9A83-35917E8F9D92_zps

01D9DD7D-A084-416C-AAD3-BF7C3ADD01F2_zps

Minor mods include the addition of wingtip lights and the elimination of the erroneous fabric effect behind the gun hatch. The undercarriage 'up' position option has been push fitted only for the purposes of masking, as the undercarriage bay is already painted. On completion, I will have it standing on its legs. Although the Spitfire kit is good, the Hurricane is even better :yahoo:

Tomorrow the paint.........

Stay tuned.

Trevor

• Like 5

Nice progress, Trevor! I'm pretty sure you meant the carb air intake that's under the nose, instead of the oil cooler that's under the port wing. See how much even a non-British can learn of Spitfires at the Britmodeller 😊. Regards, V-P

• Like 1

As a slight diversion from the build which will continue this evening, I offer you this photo as a comparison between the Spitfire and Hurricane wings.

78C47482-103F-460B-B36E-868A6CFFA97B_zps

Much has been said since its release that the Spit suffers from 'son of Matchbox' style trench detailing. So I thought I would compare it to the gun hatch engraving on the Hurricane.

They're not that far in finesse from each other? Remember, both of these have had one pass with Humbrol grey primer (love it by the way - except the smell), and in my opinion the engraving on the Spitfire is more than acceptable, if you accept that in reality there should be none in this scale anyway. I believe that with a coat of Dark Earth all over the top (Sky underneath of course) and then the Dark Green disruptive camouflage, the effect will be much more subtle and that there is absolutely no need for these 'trenches' to be filled beforehand.

Others may have a differing opinion of course ;).

Don't worry Mods, the Hurricane is not planned to make another appearance on this thread until completed, when it will stand (sit?) shoulder to shoulder with its more famous cousin at the end of the build thread.

My aim is to have the Sky underside completed tonight and if there is enough time, masked so that the upper Dark Earth coat can be applied. As per the Mossie build for the French Fancy group build (that'll get my attention soon to complete btw), I am using Xtracrylics brush painted.

More this evening - hopefully......

Trevor

• Like 5