1/48 Academy F-4N VMFA-323 Operation Eagle Claw 1980

April 1980 saw Operation Eagle Claw and the abortive attempt to stage a rescue in the Iranian Hostage Crisis. The USS Coral Sea was on hand and was to provide air support with the F-4N;'s of VMfA-323 and VMFA-531 providing top cover. This was also the first time that air superiority on a US carrier had been provied by two US Marine Squadrons.

To help in identification, the F-4's, A-6's and A-7's aboard the Coral Sea wore coloured stripes on their starboard (corrected, originally wrote port) wings, in the case of VMFA-323 they were Red and Black.

The US Navy was also transitioning from AIM-9G Sidewinders to AIM-9L's and as such there was a mixture of both types aboard the Coral Sea and it was not uncommon for 2 of each model 'winder to be carried on each of the inner wing pylons. A pair of AIM-7F's fill the rear fuselage wells with a 600 Gallon centreline fuel tank completing the load out. Outer wing pylons were not fitted as they only added drag.

In summary it is the Academy F-4B kit with Eagle Strike decals, Eduard interior, exterior P/E plus their resin and P/E bang seats, Hypersonic A/C inlet vents and slotted stabs, Master metal Pitots, Hasegawa weapons kit AIM-9's and various other bits of detailing from wire, plastic card and anything else that suited.

Finish is in overall Light Gull Grey custom mixed using Tamiya Acrylics, various washes and oils and lightening/darkening for weathering, the walkways and the yellow diamonds on brown stripes were masked and painted and the metalwork for the exhausts and around the rear fuselage and stabs is aluminium foil coloured by boiling in water with eggshells.

IMG_1513-3_zpski4d7zjy.jpg

IMG_1515_zps9wyhvnmf.jpg

IMG_1519_zpslhc3fxv5.jpg

IMG_1520_zps5glccfit.jpg

IMG_1526_zpswy0nlrdh.jpg

IMG_1525_zpsavu1n4lv.jpg

IMG_1518-2_zpskylgrpkx.jpg

IMG_1517_zpssdfgdsl1.jpg

IMG_1516_zpsxprv0m6p.jpg

IMG_1532-2_zpschzdv0ku.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by graham121
  • Like 38

Beautiful!

BuNo 150480 did not have the RHAW antenna underneath the IR seeker though. :)

Jens

F###ark (and thanks) for pointing that out...... You know the number of times I looked at photos of that bird and I still didn't pick up on that :banghead::badmood:. Oh well, still a bit of (re) work to do as he retrieves the correct IR seeker from the spares box and works out a plan of attack!!

F###ark (and thanks) for pointing that out...... You know the number of times I looked at photos of that bird and I still didn't pick up on that :banghead::badmood:. Oh well, still a bit of (re) work to do as he retrieves the correct IR seeker from the spares box and works out a plan of attack!!

I think it would be easier to remove the RHAW lump and repaint. No need to remove the entire IR seeker. :)

Jens

I absolutely love the model, and am particularly impressed with the weathering on the bare metal of the tail. However....

In your text you say the identification stripes were on the PORT wing? Your model has them on the starboard wing. Which is correct?

• Like 1

I think it would be easier to remove the RHAW lump and repaint. No need to remove the entire IR seeker. :) Jens

That thought came to me too just after I replied so I will try that and hopefully do not take out a canopy or anything else whilst I do it.

I absolutely love the model, and am particularly impressed with the weathering on the bare metal of the tail. However....

In your text you say the identification stripes were on the PORT wing? Your model has them on the starboard wing. Which is correct?

Text corrected to reflect the stripes being on the 'other' port wing :)

Very well done!

The mixed AIM-9 load is interesting, did you found any pictures about it?

Hi Antonine - yes, there are a number of pictures on the net ... I found them by googling 'F-4n vmfa-323' and selecting images ( most of them are found on other forums so I won't direct link here ).

Hope that helps

• Like 1