Can the Aeroclub 1:48 Hawker Demon be converted to a Hawker Hind?

28ZComeback

Hi

No, I now supply no trade outlets but I have sent a good few to Australia. I'm taking a break to spend time with my wider family so I will resume work on the Hawkers after Christmas.

John

Hi John - does that mean I can order directly from you after Christmas? If so, count me in :)

Hi John - does that mean I can order directly from you after Christmas? If so, count me in :)

Hi Wombat,

I've seen elsewhere on BM that John is taking a short break, so he might not see this for a while, I'm sure he'll be back to you at some point though.

The kit is worth waiting for, I've got one and its a cracker.

I'm taking a break to spend time with my wider family so I will resume work on the Hawkers after Christmas.

Hi John

I will certainly want two kits (Hart + Audax) - in the meantime have a restful break and a good Christmas!

Martin

• 1 month later...

There is really very little difference in the basic airframes of all the two seat Hawker Hart derivatives. With the exception of the Osprey (folding wings and larger fin/rudder), Hector (top wing and engine and struts), the Hart Trainer (top wing sweep) and Demon (lowered rear decking and Stbd extra gun) All the others have minor variations of panel lines, crew decking, wheels, exhausts and equipment. I intend to put on only the most important panel lines so that minor variations can be added by the modeller.

The high ring top deck is shared by the Hart, Osprey, Audax and Hardy. Looking at the rarer Hartbees, despite the rear cockpit windscreen and fairing and sloping gun ring, I think this shares the lower rear deck of the Australian Demon and by having Hind bombing equipment. The Hind Trainer does not have the lesser wing sweep of the Hart trainer.

John

Addendum to the above post.

I'm back from my travels and whilst I was in NZ I remembered my son had collected some Hartbees stuff while in South Africa some years ago. I can now confirm my suspicions that the Hartbees is a Demon, and not an Audax derivative, being of a similar specification (if not identical) to that of the Australian Demon. It also had the later addition of Volkes filters. I will try and post some photos soon.

John

• Like 1

I can now confirm my suspicions that the Hartbees is a Demon, and not an Audax derivative,

iindeed - the horn exhaust and they have also a stbd gun, isn't?

Cheers

J-W

Several prominent historian authors have in the past stated that the Hartbees was an Audax derivative and many of the Hawker photographs that often accompanied these statements were only taken from the Port side. Also the forwards armament was stated in Putnams and the MMP book (Mason and Crawford) and elsewhere, to be "one fixed Vickers gun". . This is not a criticism as such of these authors because their work was based on what was available to them. The Rams horn exhausts are no guide as they can appear on other variants.

What makes the basic frame a Demon are the production changes to accept the second Stbd gun and the 3" lower rear turtle deck which is not the easiest to define in photos especially when the rear faired windscreens are fitted.

The first six Hart fighters (often erroneously refered to as Demons) were built from Hart frames and only when the modified Demon frame proper appeared on production examples did the second gun appear. The only two variants of this airframe that I know of are the Army co-operation Australian Demon and the Hartbees both of which have the bomb aimers and camera fittings.

I have often referred to the Australian Demon as a "two gun Hind" which I now feel is misleading because the frame is a Demon with Hind/ Audax equipment.

John

• 1 month later...

I have often referred to the Australian Demon as a "two gun Hind" which I now feel is misleading because the frame is a Demon with Hind/ Audax equipment.

John

Hi John,

Just wondering if you were back on deck? I'd really like to get an Aussie Demon Kit!

• 1 month later...

A very belated thank you to John for the incredible Demon kit that I have received, far better than I expected for a short run kit. Looking forward to building it! Just have to choose the scheme ;)

Do you have some pics to share? This could help me break my self-imposed ban on buying any new biplane kits...