My thanks and appreciation once again to Canberra Kid and Mike for their invaluable assistance in trying to bring this 'Internet Dinosaur' into the techno world!John has kindly posted three of my builds before but here's my first solo attempt at it.Please forgive any errors I make.I promise to improve!IThank you for looking."Happy Landings! Paul.😳

image.jpg4_zpsontirkdi.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsb50mbcxk.jpghttp://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u402/pamandpaul558/image.jpg1_zpsnakjegud.jpg[/imag]

image.jpg3_zpsd89zatrm.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsnakjegud.jpg

image.jpg2_zpssspigrbc.jpg

image.jpg5_zps3bfop5h2.jpg

• Like 54

Oh,I really like your Saudi Lightning! Build the Trumpeter 1/72 Lightning (Before Airfix's kit came into the scene) years ago and dressed it up in a Saudi scheme using the MM decal sheet. I remember having problems with the underwing roundel.Anyway your Lightning is really great!

Edited by Kampartiger
  • Like 1

Beautiful work, Paul!

Just one question here: you say 'Magic Palm'. I know this operation (the entire deal for delivery of Lightnings to Saudi Arabia, plus few Hunters and then some Bloodhound SAMs) as 'Operation Magic Carpet'.

What's the story of 'Magic Palm'?

• Like 1

Beautiful work, Paul!

Just one question here: you say 'Magic Palm'. I know this operation (the entire deal for delivery of Lightnings to Saudi Arabia, plus few Hunters and then some Bloodhound SAMs) as 'Operation Magic Carpet'.

What's the story of 'Magic Palm'?

Thank you so much for your kind appraisal,Tom.Lightnings were,as you rightly pointed out,were delivered under a programme romantically name Magic Carpet.This latterly became Magic Palm in which BAC Test Pilots made normal flights from Warton to their destination in the Middle East,refuelling from RAF tankers on the way.Much British prestige was involved in the successful completion of these long-distance flights.The final Magic Palm flight was on 4th.September 1972,piloted by Peter Ginger.Oh to have been at Warton and armed with a Camera in those days!My best wishes,Paul.
  • Like 2

That appears to be the best lightning I have ever seen! To my eye that looks perfect-if I hadn't got an RAF Lightning on the build table at the moment, I might have started work on a Saudi lightning today! :P Just in case anyone is interested, at the Midland Aviation Museum at Coventry, they have a Saudi lightning which while it may be rather battered and bruised, it does add to the atmosphere of the aircraft I feel (in an artistic way, even though I hate "modern art" TM).

Thanks for a very nice build, it really is a pleasure to see it :)

Sam

• Like 1

Well worth a "like". :2c::thumbsup2: Just gotta love the finish :thumbsup2:

Thank you,Ancient Mariner.No exotic metallic paint system used.Grey Car Primer > Humbrol Aluminium Metalcote(panel shades done by adding a tiny drop of grey/black to original)>Brush-applied coats of Klear completed the process.
  • Like 1

Another lovely model Paul and welcome to the 21st Century too,......there will be no stopping you now!

Cheers

Tony

Bless you and thank you,Tony.Yes,it's been a long overdue take off.However,neither your goodself or John will have to "Check Your Sixes' for a while.I'm going to have to 'Ride The Reheat' for some time before I become a distant blip on your radar screens' danger zones!!Looking forward to seeing you.As always to You and Yours,Paul.

Were RSAF Lighnings flown by Saudis or by Brits on secondment per the Omani air force?[/quote

Hello Vlamgat9 - Thank you for your reply.To the best of my knowledge the RSAF Lightnings were flown by Saudis.Cheers,Paul