BPK Boeing B737-800 1/72nd

Radleigh

I just was at the post office today and picked up my kit. I ordered it from the BPK site about four weeks ago. I have not opened it yet, as I have to carry it home tonight, through wind and rain. The parcel is well wrapped in plastic, so I will leave it like that till I get home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

I just was at the post office today and picked up my kit. I ordered it from the BPK site about four weeks ago. I have not opened it yet, as I have to carry it home tonight, through wind and rain. The parcel is well wrapped in plastic, so I will leave it like that till I get home.

Love to see what you think of it 😁

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

I'd say $119 is a good deal for a model depicting a civilian aircraft of this size!  It's almost as big as a KC-135!  My BPK 737-200 set me back $120 or so five years ago, so it's definitely worth it.  I enjoyed building it for the most part, but the landing gear were a bit of a pain, and the durability of the rubber tires still worries me.  Still wish someone would manufacture a replacement set of wheels for the -200.

• Like 3

Got mine today, and yes it is impressive regarding size. But since it is like all other bpk kits a shortrun kit, its quality is not something for tamiya lovers. i would say its more a pig of a kit, lot of clean up required and i am sure it won't fall together.

The detail is quite nice, with lots of screws/rivets and sharp trailing edges.

The assembly of the fuselage might be a bit more on the painful side, cause it is 4 pieces. I have to say there a lot of similarity to eastern express and the kit reminds me of the EE MD-11.

i think i will get my hands on it next year, and by the way, no plastic tires anymore. Also the resin engine parts are super sharp.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I'd say $119 is a good deal for a model depicting a civilian aircraft of this size!  It's almost as big as a KC-135!  My BPK 737-200 set me back $120 or so five years ago, so it's definitely worth it.  I enjoyed building it for the most part, but the landing gear were a bit of a pain, and the durability of the rubber tires still worries me.  Still wish someone would manufacture a replacement set of wheels for the -200.

i could do that... if there are some others who want it, i could produce a resin version of that tire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At first glimpse, the kit looks very nice. Although it is a short run kit, the parts are rather crisp and the amount of cleanup required seems to be far less than for other short run kits I have built.

I will build mine as a P-8 Poseidon. I have already given up the Welsh Models kit of the Poseidon, which now will serve as a conversion set.

• Like 3

Spectacular!  When I saw "Goodyear" emblazoned on the tires, I was beside myself.  That's how rich the detail is on this kit!  Also a good decision to use resin on the complicated shapes, such as the fan blades, and not on the load-bearing bits, like the tires.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Since it appears that all the passenger windows are on a long strip of clear plastic that affixes to the exterior of the fuselage, any idea how you are supposed to paint that section?    Are you supposed to mask off a hundred or so windows?

41 minutes ago, 11bravo said:

Since it appears that all the passenger windows are on a long strip of clear plastic that affixes to the exterior of the fuselage, any idea how you are supposed to paint that section?    Are you supposed to mask off a hundred or so windows?

yes, but its far easier than it seems at first look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There’s a comment from Big Plane Kits on there Facebook page where they mention that the P-8 Poseidon is now available but without the box and decals.

I also spotted some KLM 737-800s on the pictures, looks like it has been released https://bigplaneskits.com/shop/other/737-800-klm-1-72-7219/

https://www.facebook.com/BigPlanesKits/posts/pfbid0nipEhwFS6sB42FX1GBccSTpEkwXKAsa2LUnnxP5ZdD1u6sCUfELqShboYaXRx3tql

Edited by Marcus Håkansson
  • Like 1