Hurricane MK 1 1/48 New Tool - Tom Neil -Final Photos

A start on the cockpit frame. My first photo lamp arrived today so I hope that the pics start to improve

Build01.jpg

Build02.jpg

Build03.jpg

This is the first time I am building this kit. I word of caution. Glue first and then paint. The fit is extremely tight!

• Like 7

A start on the cockpit frame. My first photo lamp arrived today so I hope that the pics start to improve

http://smiddleton.net/ima/models/GB/Hurricane_MkI/Build01.jpg[/

http://smiddleton.nimages/models/GB/Hurricane_MkI/Buil2.jpg[/

http://smiddleton.net/ima/models/GB/Hurricane_MkI/Build03.jpg[/

This is the first time I am building this kit. I word of caution. Glue first and then paint. The fit is extremely tight!

Thanks for the heads up!

With a wry grin I confess to having one of the old version on the go at the moment - the contrast is comical. In fact, the contrast between it and the new 1/72 kit is comical. My excuse is I'm re-doing a few kits i remember from my youth!

The plan is to do Tom Neil's Hurricane GN-F V7113 I must just check his log book and see when he was flying this aircraft. I know he notes its his preferred mount but the few pages in "Gun Button to Fire". The other point that I have been told is to cut the pegs off the armour plate and let the set and from find its own position and settle when the fuselage and wings are joined. I will keep you posted

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COMMISSIONED OFFICER AND A WARRANT OFFICER. IF YOU COMMISSION SOMETHING YOU HOPE IT WORKS, IF YOU WARRANT SOMETHING YOU KNOW IT WORKS

THE WARRANT OFFICER IS ABSENT THE LOGIC CIRCUITRY TO THINK AND IS USELESS UNLESS A COMMISSIONED OFFICER TELLS HIM WHAT TO DO - The damn Non-Comms, Me gads Chaps the bally place will fall apart without us at least Regina is her wisdom put us in charge! Now charge those damn guns and don't worry about the cannon to left right or centre

• Like 2

Well, a bit more progress. I completed the seat and inside cockpit wall. I used an AK Interior wash. Don't ask me what those round circles are for? I don't know what Airfix intended. They certainly don't look like pin injection marks. I didn't bother with the ejection marks, On previous hurricanes I have built, you do not see much anyway. I will tackle the dash tomorrow. I haven't bothered to order a PE Set like I normally do. I have a new RZTools Punch and Die set which I might try out if the kit dash is not up to the task.

I can conform that I am doing Tom Neil's Hurricane GN-F V7113. I checked and he was using in on a daily basis during September 1940.

Build04.jpg

Build05.jpg

• Like 4

I wanted to do brief note on Step 10. The other side frame and seat assembly. The 2nd side frame does generally pull things into alignment. I cut the pins off the amour plate and the seat rode high. If your control column is slightly out of alignment the seat won't go down or if the parts ore painted (at this stage they need to be). I took a metal file to the cut-out at the bottom of the armour plate and both sides. I put a blob of superglue on the bottom and gently aligned the seat into position leaving the two side frames unglued from the seat section. Its busy drying on the workbench so no pictures for now. I will take some in the morning.

PS don't worry abiout the ejection pin mark on the "wood triangle". Once the seat goes in yo don't see much of it. I spent some time doing a wood grain on this and you can't see it.

• Like 1

Build03.jpg

Sean

don't know if too late or not...

remember....

Tikkakoski_planes011-vi.jpg

most of what you have grey-green should be aluminium. If not handily bookmarked...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61201-gloster-hurricane-cockpit-colour/

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/page-2

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page-3#entry1682406

One builder used the lower wing as a template to lay parts out to get everything square which looks to be a good idea.

When we talked you said about tightness of fit of the Eduard Spitfire kit wings as well, have you tried putting the parts to together dry, and then using a fine paint brush with thin liquid cement, touch on the dry assembled joints and make use of capillary action to draw the glue into the joint?

HTH

T

Troy picture noted. I did the control column and foot rests for a slight bit of variance. You may be spot on and your reference may be correct. I will give its some thought. As for dry fitting - I have done as much as possible. I do thing the tolerances are too tight. I must confess I took the easy way out with the seat. I have been ultra careful. Perhaps someone better than me will have more luck. I think this kit is something you need to do more than once.

PS Correct me but I think that I am correct in the amour plate being green?

I'm building this one too dude. Seat back armour was green. I left the seat off till after all the framing was In place. If you want to fit the pilot, you will need some surgery on his feet to make him fit.

I'm building this one too dude. Seat back armour was green. I left the seat off till after all the framing was In place. If you want to fit the pilot, you will need some surgery on his feet to make him fit.

My harness is on so no pilot. I am just sharing my build and if it helps others then great. We live, we share, we learn....

Here is the cockpit frame complete. I spot welded the to wing spars to the wings with superglue in stages and let to dry so that I got an exact fit. I have dry fitted the fuselage over the cockpit frame and everything settles into place.

Build07.jpg

Build08.jpg

Build09.jpg

Build10.jpg

Build11.jpg

I am calling this section done. I am not going to fabricate a new instrument panel it will be hardly visible when the fuselage goes on

• Like 3

Well, a bit more progress. I completed the seat and inside cockpit wall. I used an AK Interior wash. Don't ask me what those round circles are for? I don't know what Airfix intended. They certainly don't look like pin injection marks. I didn't bother with the ejection marks, On previous hurricanes I have built, you do not see much anyway. I will tackle the dash tomorrow. I haven't bothered to order a PE Set like I normally do. I have a new RZTools Punch and Die set which I might try out if the kit dash is not up to the task.

I can conform that I am doing Tom Neil's Hurricane GN-F V7113. I checked and he was using in on a daily basis during September 1940.

http://smiddleton.net/images/models/GB/Hurricane_MkI/Build04.jpg

http://smiddleton.net/images/models/GB/Hurricane_MkI/Build05.jp]

Looks very ggod there Sean

Wings and fuselage mated. The fuselage needed a bit of sanding near the middle of the wing root. If, anyone is wondering the back part of the fuselage after the L goes inside of the assembly. When it did not fit first time, I was a bit at a loss. This is not when you want to start putting pressure on the underlying cockpit frame.

The kit instrument panel worked a treat after being sprayed Flat Black and the decal bedded down with Solvent. It doesn't matter if the registration is slightly of as the decal shrinks. You can't see it with the naked eye and was barely noticeable with my Optimiser 3.5x

I added some red to my primer mix for dramatic effect. Its not meant to be an exact representation of the Fabric and Metal.

I have a coat of AK Worn effects over the silver so I am not fussed about the overspray. I think I will put a coat of Dark earth down and then some preceding. I am not sure about using pre-shading or not. Suggestions welcome.

Build16.jpg

Build17.jpg

• Like 2

looking good Sean

remember the doghouse is plywood covered in fabric, the escape hatch is also fabric covered.

70.JPG

Note, the preserved panel, the paint is chipped on the metal parts, but the main part of the panel is plywood covered in fabric, if you look carefully in the lower left you can see some wear on the fabric.

Figaro800x458.jpg

I think you know this already, but perhaps a memory jog, and maybe of use to other builders as well.

cheers

T

PS tailplane fairings are metal as well.

looking good Sean

remember the doghouse is plywood covered in fabric, the escape hatch is also fabric covered.

70.JPG

Note, the preserved panel, the paint is chipped on the metal parts, but the main part of the panel is plywood covered in fabric, if you look carefully in the lower left you can see some wear on the fabric.

Figaro800x458.jpg

I think you know this already, but perhaps a memory jog, and maybe of use to other builders as well.

cheers

T

PS tailplane fairings are metal as well.

Why are you so worried about Sean's build, he said it wasn't an exact representation