Nice Little Tug ( Boat Revell )

Hey Julian they are some size those tugs would dwarf this little Tugger of mine and look they have tires on the sides another good reference photo

1026444.jpg

Beefy

• Like 1

Hey Julian they are some size those tugs would dwarf this little Tugger of mine and look they have tires on the sides another good reference photo

1026444.jpg

Beefy

They spoiled her lines with that blunt nose Keith. Was an awesome ship to work with, so incredibly strong.

• Like 1

I had a quick scoot around a needlecraft shop on Saturday to see if there was any suitable tubed woven stuff that may be of use but drew a blank. Was fighting the 'living dead' around town and gave up the struggle of free and easy movement of self. I did get a model though and managed a fishing session

Darby old chap you have just given me an idea when you mentioned woven stuff will make a trip down to the local florist shop they might have something in that I can use and get a bunch for the missus for when she gets out of hospital after her Hip operation

Beefy

Beefy

They spoiled her lines with that blunt nose Keith. Was an awesome ship to work with, so incredibly strong.

yes she does look like a good work horse and I see what you mean about the blunt bow not so attractive but effective I would think.

Keith

Thanks Kev that may help a lot

my son has just reminded me about some boxes of old toys he put up in our loft so will be having a good rummage up there tomorrow might find a couple that I can cast from if not will give Kev,s tip a try .

Keith ( beefy )

Well had a rummage around the loft and came up with 4 old toy car tires and a model that might interest Mr swallows

Also had a trip to the local Hobby Craft store and got some woven twine what the label said any way looks like thin rope to me.

so I need some opinions from you good chaps here what to go for I was thinking of tires for and aft and a couple of these fender types in the mid ship areas what do you think.

IMG_10549_zpsvgkkz1hd.jpg

IMG_01548_zpsidxfovbe.jpg

IMG_10547_zpsc07dsr5u.jpg

• Like 6

The tires look excellent Keith. You could make them a permanent fixture by fitting them with chains. Normally four holes are cut in the tread and two lengths of chain are pushed through in a cross fashion and welded or fitted to the hull: stops damage to whatever you go alongside.

I know the Waker very well Keith, have been to sea on her a couple of times, an old Smit Internationale tug, 16000 BHP. The bridge design wasn't as good as the Typhoon's though :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the invaluable advice with this one Julian will give that a try would the chains be welded to some kind of eyelet as with the aft fender or just straight on to the hull I have some spare chain left over from the Z25 build that might just fit the bill to save me going out shopping again :whistle:

Keith

Thanks for all the invaluable advice with this one Julian will give that a try would the chains be welded to some kind of eyelet as with the aft fender or just straight on to the hull I have some spare chain left over from the Z25 build that might just fit the bill to save me going out shopping again :whistle:

Keith

Yes Keith,

An eyelet would be the usual way, the chain is attached by a "D" shackle to to the eyelet.

• Like 1

The tyres look great Keith, get them cast off and save the masters. The twine also looks good so I'm sure you'll find a use for that on some future build.

Brian

• Like 1

OK after a week of hospital visits and doing my best to look like Florence Nightingale after the wife's Hip replacement operation finally got some time at the work bench and started on messing up the paint work ( weathering )

Wanted this to look like a well used little Tugger so started by dotting various oils on the hull sides and drawing them down in a rain washed streak fashion lets face it we do get a LOT of rain up north ( Winter is Coming JS )

IMG_10547%202_zpscafawq4l.jpg

IMG_10548_zpsfi2ru6kd.jpg

IMG_10549%202_zpswh7bcxww.jpg

Then started to do some fine pin washes around the details on the bridge and cabin areas

IMG_10550_zpspa8j3bdo.jpg

Then I also started on making up the base using some scrap wood and insulation foam for the sea

IMG_10552_zpsscsugdry.jpg

Then cut out the shape for the hull to sit into and covered with PVA glue and lefb to dry

IMG_10553_zpsx1nvrzpi.jpg

Beefy

• Like 6

I'm starting to want one now. It'll have to be done in red and white colours though. I'll swap you the rain down here for what you've got up there. Non stop rain, drizzle mist and fog since Tuesday night. Oh and the bakeries have never heard of stotties either.

• Like 1

yes Darby know what you mean half hour after that photo the Heavens opened up here still did not stop me taken the dog for a walk it has to be done and thanks Kev not up to your standard with the Vosper but just a bit fun to play around with can,t go wrong for under a Tenner

Thanks again lads for all the support with this project

Got some more work done on the Dio wanted to have the panel lines that you see close up on the ships hull so added some plastic rod to the upright surface the only stuff I had to hand was 0.8mm so went over the rods with green putty when this was dry I gently sanded down the high spots and then covered the whole surface with baking foil and primed not a bad looking wall :winkgrin:

IMG_20547_zps6px2huuv.jpg

IMG_20548_zps12btfqze.jpg

IMG_20549_zpskik3vkjv.jpg

IMG_20550_zpsf7bk1voi.jpg

Beefy

• Like 2

Interesting concept mate, going to look good

" thanks Kev not up to your standard with the Vosper but just a bit fun to play around with can,t go wrong for under a Tenner "

What a load of bullocks! I'd be chuffed to produce that tug.

A couple of questions

Are you having fun and learning new techniques?

Are we having fun & learning new techniques?

The answer to both ........ YES!!

I'd call that modelling on a forum

Kev

• Like 2

Interesting concept mate, going to look good

" thanks Kev not up to your standard with the Vosper but just a bit fun to play around with can,t go wrong for under a Tenner "

What a load of bullocks! I'd be chuffed to produce that tug.

A couple of questions

Are you having fun and learning new techniques?

Are we having fun & learning new techniques?

The answer to both ........ YES!!

I'd call that modelling on a forum

Kev

Thanks again Kev for the encouragement :poke:

Yes I,am having fun and learning :book:

Found another good REF photo

maxresdefault.jpg

Also been playing with a new toy to add a little style to the base using an old bit of DADO rail been trying my hand at some woodwork.

IMG_02547_zpsmpmxv2sz.jpg

IMG_02548_zpsdw0gcvsy.jpg

Tiny bit of filler needed sand down and stain the edging should look OK i think.

Thanks for looking in on the FUN

Beefy

• Like 6