Nice Little Tug ( Boat Revell )

Hi Foxy think your right about the jetty this one is in Venice while we were waiting to get onto a gondola ride when on a day trip there

been there done that and not going back what a S'## hole the main bits we saw anyway and expensive but you have to keep the missus happy sometimes :whistle::shrug:

Beefy

• Like 2

I've been keen to see how this build pans out - or should I say "tubs out" - and did a bit of a search to see what has been done with this kit before by others - there and some pretty good builds out there - not to mention this one which is how I would make one

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/srkirad/media/Revell%201-108%20Harbour%20Tug%20Boat/Day08-07.jpg.html

back to you beefy beefers !

• Like 1

Now that is a nice diorama with the little tug and jetty but a friend of mine has given me an idea about what to do with this I,am thinking of the tug pushing a lager ship into place at the dockside might look at doing a segment of hull at one end and the tug nudging a freighter onto it,s berth :captain:

Thanks for the reference material GS

Keith

Curiosity question here. What scale is it in?

1:108th I believe. It dates from the time Revell altered kit scales to fit the bits into a standard sized box.

and John is quite right

IMG_0599_zpsntignwme.jpg

Beefy

How are you going to simulate the rope fenders up for'rad and down the waist?

Was going to try and use some tires for the side fenders as in the photo I have posted the link to as above if this fails was going to try and use a shoe lace similar to Raves Borodin build :book:

for the front I was thinking of using some mutton cloth bundled up and set it with PVA glue :undecided:

Beefy

• Like 1

Keith,

The guys in RC get there nearest and dearest to crochet the bow fenders. The side fenders can be done in the same manner.

Another possibility for side rope fenders would be 4 strand plait from fine cord. Or cable laid thin cord.

Hope this helps

Kev

• Like 1

Keith,

The guys in RC get there nearest and dearest to crochet the bow fenders. The side fenders can be done in the same manner.

Another possibility for side rope fenders would be 4 strand plait from fine cord. Or cable laid thin cord.

Hope this helps

Kev

Sounds like a good idea Kev cheers

started splashing some paint on Halfords primer red oxide for lower hull and Vallejo White for cabin and bridge and Vallejo black for upper hull seen as someone said this

Great subject Beefy

Now quit with real life and get on with it :winkgrin:

:poke:

Kev

IMG_0606_zpslmtfxleb.jpg

IMG_0609_zpsb3rsplqa.jpg

IMG_0610_zps5apyedk0.jpg

Beefy

• Like 6

Thanks for the photo updates Beefy - your latest pictures bring the 1/108 scale into perspective with your working materials around it on your bench.

I'll be interested to see how you get on making those fenders of yours. I am far from being a maritime modeller expert, so had I been in your situation when making these fenders, I would probably have made them in a Fimo type clay and wrapped/woven a fine rigging chord over them to give them surface detail - but you guys are the experts here so I will enjoy continuing to watch this build develop.

Keep Calm, and Tug On....! :fight:

• Like 1

OK another Tugging update

masking tape off and have noticed that there are a few touch ups needed also the green I have chosen for the main deck is to dark will look for a lighter shade more NATO Green than Russian Green I think :banghead:

IMG_0612_zpscddbpeoz.jpg

IMG_0613_zps4wju9q3d.jpg

I have also noted some little gaps around the bridge and cabin areas so will need to use a small amount of filler on them before moving forward

Beefy

• Like 2

She's looking great with a drop paint on there mate. looking forward to see the progress later tonight.

Brian

OK another Tugging update

masking tape off and have noticed that there are a few touch ups needed also the green I have chosen for the main deck is to dark will look for a lighter shade more NATO Green than Russian Green I think :banghead:

IMG_0612_zpscddbpeoz.jpg

IMG_0613_zps4wju9q3d.jpg

I have also noted some little gaps around the bridge and cabin areas so will need to use a small amount of filler on them before moving forward

Beefy

Hats off to your build Keith, really smashing and I am tempted to try and get hold of one myself. The deck's on the Tug's and Supply vessels I worked on ( Wijsmuller and Smit-Lloyd) had a bright green deck colour quite like interior green but with a more pronounced green tint. I'll see if if I can find a photo.

:goodjob:

This is the Smit-Lloyd 17 in drydock in Malta. The green deck and sunshade colour can be seen here:

19.jpg

Cheers,

Julian

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 2

Was going to try and use some tires for the side fenders as in the photo I have posted the link to as above if this fails was going to try and use a shoe lace similar to Raves Borodin build :book:

for the front I was thinking of using some mutton cloth bundled up and set it with PVA glue :undecided:

Beefy

Another fine use of the puddin' clout.

• Like 1

Hats off to your build Keith, really smashing and I am tempted to try and get hold of one myself. The deck's on the Tug's and Supply vessels I worked on ( Wijsmuller and Smit-Lloyd) had a bright green deck colour quite like interior green but with a more pronounced green tint. I'll see if if I can find a photo.

:goodjob:

This is the Smit-Lloyd 17 in drydock in Malta. The green deck and sunshade colour can be seen here:

19.jpg

Cheers,

Julian

Thanks Julian great detail shot there I also have the ETV Waker in the stash so this shot will come in handy for that too

Ihave lightened up the deck color using Tamiya NATO Green with a drop of deck tan added

And thanks to ALL for you continued support with this little TUG of FUN

So the build carry's on for the front and aft buffers I have been playing around with the first idea of mutton cloth using the bow kit part cut down I have wrapped the colth around it and attached using PVA glue

The aft buffer was made using a piece of handle rope from one of those drinks prezzie bags cut down and the mutton cloth added same as the front please let me know what you think Good or Cr#@;P

IMG_0540_zpsmzkop8qa.jpg

IMG_0539_zpsvtkumfyn.jpg

Beefy

• Like 2

Thanks Julian great detail shot there I also have the ETV Waker in the stash so this shot will come in handy for that too

Ihave lightened up the deck color using Tamiya NATO Green with a drop of deck tan added

And thanks to ALL for you continued support with this little TUG of FUN

So the build carry's on for the front and aft buffers I have been playing around with the first idea of mutton cloth using the bow kit part cut down I have wrapped the colth around it and attached using PVA glue

The aft buffer was made using a piece of handle rope from one of those drinks prezzie bags cut down and the mutton cloth added same as the front please let me know what you think Good or Cr#@;P

IMG_0540_zpsmzkop8qa.jpg

IMG_0539_zpsvtkumfyn.jpg

Beefy

The fenders are certainly not c**p Keith. The bow fender looks good, the stern fender needs some TLC and different attachment points. The stern fender would not be fitted to the bollards. Try making two wire eyes and fitting them to holes in the hull on or just above the strakes and attach the stern fender to them. Also try wrapping the ends of the stern fender to make it taper towards the attachments, well, that's what I would try :bye:

• Like 2

I think if you tidy up the odd loose thread on the buffers they will do just fine with a bit of paint and weathering.

Martin

• Like 1