Airfix 1:72 Figures - Weird Plastic?

Xenol

I've got an upcoming build, and decided to buy the 1:72 RAF Personnel set for a diorama - the figures themselves are nicely moulded with a bit of flash, but its made out of this really weird, almost rubbery plastic. Whenever i've bought figures in the past (admittedly quite a while ago) they've been made out of the normal harder plastic.

I suppose this plastic mix means it's less likely for little details to snap off, but it also means that fine parts like the cycleists and the rockets come out of the box quite warped.

Is this normal?

Edited by Xenol

Yes. These were intended as "toy soldiers" back in the day. You'll find that getting paint to stick to them is quite a challenge too.

Yes. These were intended as "toy soldiers" back in the day. You'll find that getting paint to stick to them is quite a challenge too.

Thinned down PVA glue brushed is a good primer for enamels.

Trevor

I just wash them then apply enamel paint direct. I use matt black, matt grey or matt white enamel brush painted on as primer/undercoat. If they are not going to be handled this does the job well.

Most of the big manufacturers used this bendy plastic for figures. I remember getting a Airfix gun emplacement assault set for Christmas one year and not only did it have British and German infantry in this plastic but also four vehicles and some tank traps. I think the vehicles were a Centurion Tank, SPG, 6X6 Truck and DUKW, Airfix did a full range of the things.