incredibly well detailed - such a realistic "used and worn / abused" look to it

In particular, I envy your skills used on the Bed Roll - I am new to using green-stuff for this type of effect and get myself in a very sticky mess using it - I don't seem to be able to work fast enough with it to manage to get a thin roll down to then use as a sheet and manipulate it

keep up the good work

• Like 1

The contrast between the hideously toy-like raw parts and your painted ones is quite remarkable.....Genuine artistry (with a scouring pad)! :thumbsup:

Andy's refinements are fantastic but I wouldn't say the kit was "hideously toy like"?

Just my 2p's worth.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

The contrast between the hideously toy-like raw parts and your painted ones is quite remarkable.....Genuine artistry (with a scouring pad)! :thumbsup:

Andy's refinements are fantastic but I wouldn't say the kit was "hideously toy like"?

Just my 2p's worth.

I guess all kits look toy-like in the raw plastic. These ones are a little reminiscent of Matchbox with their multi-colour mouldings but if you look past that the quality is pretty amazing. On some levels, these probably are designed as toys with their snap-fit construction but Bandai have been clever enough to make them work as scale models too, without any real compromise.

I think we're nearly done. All the painting and most of the weathering's complete. I've done the detail painting for the controls and added the few tiny stencil decals. I was going to use the provided decal for the Big Red Knobâ„¢ on the control panel but, in the end, decided it'd be better painted.

21535365342_4420cc6e76_b.jpg

21358511310_91c4cdd0be_b.jpg

I gave the fairing some oil weathering with dust washes and some streaking.

21358694408_1e69e782e3_b.jpg

21555293711_eb9e01be6a_b.jpg

The last thing to do before mounting the trooper was add the bed roll. I made some straps from doubled-up masking tape, painted them and threaded them through the brackets, folding the ends back on themselves and sticking them down.

21555284701_e94907c62c_b.jpg

The bed roll was attached and the straps wrapped over it and stuck down.

21359614139_6122b1655b_b.jpg

20923738144_d941b66c77_b.jpg

The last thing to do was add a couple of clasps/buckles cut from plasticard.

20923728734_3b70f0ca94_b.jpg

Now it's just putting the bits together. As I write this, the epoxy holding the trooper to the saddle is setting. I had intended to leave him loosely attached but he was being uncooperative and sliding about too much as I was trying to arrange his arms and legs. He's now been "persuaded" to remain in place by means of a rectally inserted brass rod through the saddle. You need to be tough to serve the Emperor!

If I'm feeling motivated, I may get it all together and photographed tonight, otherwise it'll be tomorrow. In the mean time, thanks to everyone who's been following this build and boo, hiss to Disney for stopping me buying any more.

Andy

• Like 5

"Rectally inserted" :P

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together now - I love the contrast in textures you've got across the model, and I think the light trooper on the dark bike is going to look awesome.

Will

• Like 2

I think the light trooper on the dark bike is going to look awesome.

Thanks Will. To be honest, I think I've gone a bit too dark with the brown on the speeder. If I do another, I'll add a bit more highlighting to give it more tonal range.

The final shots are done and I'll stick them up in RFI momentarily. Apart from the final assembly, which was all push-fit, the only other work I did before calling it done was to scrub some pigments onto the bike and trooper to help blend the previous weathering together.

So that's it, Star Wars build no. 4 for the year (counting the two astromechs as separate builds). The X-Wing and Snowspeeder haven't turned up yet so I'm hoping nothing's gone awry on their way from Japan. I did claim earlier, in the Bandai discussion, that I wouldn't be ordering anything more until the mess with the export ban was sorted, but we'll see if temptation gets the better of me when the new stuff comes out in October.

Thanks again for following, everyone

Andy

21570836841_52acd43b96_b.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you so much for taking the time to do these kits full justice. The craftsmanship and artistic skill you have poured into these kits is wonderful to see.

Inspired, I broke down and picked up the Snowspeeder this weekend and it is a cracking kit. I am looking foreword to getting a start on it soon but may wait a bit just to see what voodoo you bring to yours.

Keep up the great work and thanks again for showing that building kits is first and foremost fun. :D

Dan

• Like 1

I know you may think you've overdone an effect, pigmentation or whatever here and there, but that's is just the artisans eye critically examining the work. To my eye, this is an artistic blend of commensurate skill at work here.

BLEW MAH SOX OFF!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Andy, thank you for this built, very nice job. :thumbsup:

I build this kit right now, and your built inspires me… I'm going to use a lot of ideas (if you agreed).

thierry

Hi Andy, thank you for this built, very nice job. :thumbsup:

I build this kit right now, and your built inspires me… I'm going to use a lot of ideas (if you agreed).

thierry

Thanks Thierry

Go ahead and use any ideas you want. I look forward to seeing what you do with it

Andy

• 3 months later...