Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged TurboProp Nightfighter - Finished

trickyrich

I have been thinking years about doing a conversion for a C-5 version. But the vacuum forming of the nose have kept me of. This was a 2 seater. The navigator was sitting more to the low right back of the pilot (a la Mosquito.).

There was also a nightfighter version of it. Also called the P5.

Take a look here for photo's.

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LCBW9/Ar234C5_01f.jpg

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LCBW9/Ar234C7_01f.jpg

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/DFS%20BERSERKER.htm

There are also 2 projects of the D and E verion with even a more rediculous bulbous nose.

And those were with the Hes011 engines.

Now that is another project in your mind. :banghead::evil_laugh::shutup:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I've seen the first two photos before, they are often referred to as the 2 seater Ar-234 P5. There are other photo's of the P5 with two seats, somehow they got their numbering system messed up as the P5 designation can be single or two seater!

What worries me about the last link is that they have the Radar names mixed up. The FuG-240 Berlin was a millimeter dish antenna while the FuG-244 Bermen was the all aspect radar, sort of like a wee AWACS.

I do like the two seater version as will as the E version. Seeing as I have a couple of spare 234's sitting around..........

Come on Arnold, lets build the complete family of 234's!!

• Like 1

That is a great idea Rich!!!

The standard 2 seater was first the C-5 and the nightfighter was the P-5. I have got a Polish book witch you can see the contours and the measurements. There are also loads of profiles from all sort of projects.

I have also got a german book about the 234 and tels a lot about all the models with more than enough pictures.

Cheers,

I've seen the first two photos before, they are often referred to as the 2 seater Ar-234 P5. There are other photo's of the P5 with two seats, somehow they got their numbering system messed up as the P5 designation can be single or two seater!

What worries me about the last link is that they have the Radar names mixed up. The FuG-240 Berlin was a millimeter dish antenna while the FuG-244 Bermen was the all aspect radar, sort of like a wee AWACS.

I do like the two seater version as will as the E version. Seeing as I have a couple of spare 234's sitting around..........

Come on Arnold, lets build the complete family of 234's!!

• Like 1

Well back to this build after a bit of a break, though I had been doing little bits and pieces to it every now and again.

The wing was fitted without too much drama at all. Some careful measuring was needed to make sure everything was nice and square. There were only some minor gaps on the underside of the wing where it met the fuselage. These were easily fixed with some plastic strip and filler. Sorry I forgot to take photos of this.

First main bit is the props. I cut my new props off their original spinners then drilled a 0.4mm hole in them so I could fit a wire pin.

DSCF2599_zpsn4cy26jh.jpg

I did the same to the spinners, though I did manage to snap the tip of the drill inside one of the shafts!!! :doh: Next I fitted steel pins to the props and test fitted to the spinners, then to the engines. The props just touched the fuselage so some alterations were required.

The stubs on the spinner were removed and very slightly drilled out, this was just enough for the props to sit nicely.

DSCF2600_zpsxatghzsc.jpg

They actually look quite good, a million times better than the originals!

DSCF2601_zps8mpacl5q.jpg

DSCF2602_zps9rievnct.jpg

Next the cockpits, seat belts were fitted along with all the final bits and pieces, plus a final touch-up with paint. The cockpit windscreen was made from a piece of thick plastic I had and its thickness makes it look quite realistic, and as a bonus it fitted!

DSCF2604_zpssxs4ordz.jpg

DSCF2603_zpsn29qqpta.jpg

With this final task done the cockpit were closed up.

With all this done a quick coat of paint to see how much work I have! The canopy needs some work, for some reason it’s wider than the lower section and they’re the original parts! As mentioned previously there are some issues with the Hasegawa kit and its fit. There are a few little spots that need a dab of filler, but on the whole it’s not too bad.

DSCF2605_zpsfukxzs86.jpg

DSCF2606_zpsaluqzmhc.jpg

DSCF2607_zps6iyg1uqm.jpg

DSCF2609_zpsul7f2tlw.jpg

DSCF2610_zpsarbbijpd.jpg

DSCF2611_zpsmwy4mjzd.jpg

I am half tempted to leave the spinners/intakes in their natural aluminium as they look quite good, but of cause the metal paint sure shows up any flaws!!

I think I have finally decided on a colour scheme. I have decided to make her an all-weather, day/night fighter, so she’ll be the usual RLM 75/76 nightfighter colour scheme, but rather in an all-weather scheme fairly similar to some of the late war Fw-190’s or Me-262’s.

• Like 4

Ok back to the beast after a little break.

So more of the same to start, sanding filling sanding again, and more filling…….plus a little bit of panel re-scribing, then repeat of the first two!! Till I was at a stage I was happy with, actually I’d had enough of the filling and sanding! Time to get ready for painting.

So on with all those little PE bits that are just waiting to get knocked off or squashed! Those PE bits for the trim tabs were tiny and such a pain to put on! I would like to say now that all the PE bits have survived what's was coming up…..but I did manage to squash the DF loop….so it’s been removed and will be panel beaten later on!

DSCF2689_zpskvlhsyci.jpg

DSCF2691_zpscyw7fbbj.jpg

The periscope appears in the drawings for most the other version but not this one, so I’m tossing up whether to leave it on or remove it. In which case I will have to fill up the hole for it!

DSCF2692_zpskmyczumt.jpg

I’m also tossing up when to fit the Naxos (FuG) -350, which needs to go on the canopy, to the right and slightly behind the pilot. It might be beat to leave this to last!

Ok with that all done a undercoat of Lt. Grey acrylic was applied.

DSCF2688_zpsnpd7hmuo.jpg

Next some banding followed by some pre-shading. I still can’t airbrush straight lines to save myself!

DSCF2693_zpsgmhox4o1.jpg

Now the under surface colour. I am for the first time using Vallejo Model Air paint, RLM 76 in this case. I have read some horror stories with this paint so I was a bit nervous using it. I used it straight from the bottle at the correct air pressure ~18psi and it worked a treat!!! It would have to be some of the best paint I have ever used, even better than the Life Color!!!! It just went on so easy and smoothly, I’m just so happy with the finish. The only thing I noticed is takes just a little bit longer to dry.

DSCF2694_zpswrxkz2jm.jpg

The results below speak for themselves! Just in case anyone was wondering, the banding was left unmasked on purpose…..and why is there banding? All will be revealed once the paint job is complete. The remaining colours I’ll be using are in the background and there’ll be diagonal banding!

DSCF2695_zps4p7dzk60.jpg

And the boy’s altogether! The Arado does look like a Viking!

• Like 4

That is looking realy nice!!! O , I would leave the perscope on, as you are using the backwards firing MK 151.

I have never used Vallejo paint. I am more used to work with Gunze water based paint.

It does look pleasing to me.

Cheers,

Well the major painting is now pretty much completed!

I will start by saying this is probably not what anyone was expecting for a nightfighter! But as I had mentioned that I had changed the path of this project and it’s now evolved into an all-weather fighter, hence the scheme.

Ok now the scheme….I will admit it is different but it actually based on an actual aircraft colour scheme and fits in nicely to where I am taking this project now. The scheme was originally on a Me-262 A1 of Stabsstaffel JG7. The original aircraft was part of Kommando Stamp before it was disbanded and incorporated into JG7. One aircraft in particular had this unusual diagonal colour scheme as well as the double chevron of Kommandeur, so it was possible assigned to Major Gerhard Stamp. These Me-262’s were also fitted with the WGr 21 Air to Air mortars and were tasked with attacking allied bomber formations.

So for my build/history the Me-262’s were replaced with the newer and more advanced Ar-234 P5’s in a similar role though now they could operate in all weather. The additional power of the new turbo-prop engines along with the quicker power delivery of a turbo-prop engine made them perfect for this role.

Ok the paint job, its all Vallejo paint, which I must say, was a breeze to go on, but boy is it fragile!! Compared to Life Color or Gunze/Tamiya acrylics it’ just falls off if you touch it wrong! I had heard it also can clog up the nozzle and can be a bit difficult at times, but I didn’t have any of these issues (though I did run through a wee bit of Vallejo air brush cleaning before paint job). The paint job is nice and uneven as I was aiming for, though it so does look like a model at the moment, just screaming or for some detailing and weathering!

DSCF2698_zpsiuopn3z2.jpg

DSCF2697_zpstkc5yj2x.jpg

DSCF2696_zpspzolkc59.jpg

DSCF2699_zpstwqru7kr.jpg

Doing the blotches was another matter and did give me a bit of trouble, though this is the first time I have tried this with a double action airbrush, normal I would do this with my old single action one.

The bands are not perfect and a bit blotchy, but this doesn’t matter as they will be partially covered with over spray, to reduce their visibility as seen on quite a few aircraft.

DSCF2737_zps5ycryt9c.jpg

DSCF2738_zpscmijxhrp.jpg

I don’t think I’ll leave the props their silver colour, I’ll probably go for something more like the colours used on prop aircraft. I’ll be much happier once a clear coat goes on to help protect to paint!

Oh and other thing is I’ll be I’ll be painting on the markings for this build, another first for me. Plus I did manage to knock off most of those fine PE bits along the way as well!

• Like 6

Ok I have spent most of my limited time this week on this beasty. The paining is complete, again I like the Vallejo paint but boy is it fragile!! Even though it is nice I don’t think I will uses it again of a project like this.

The major markings are not transfers but were painted on with masks! The black crosses underneath look especially good. The process was quite easy though the masks I bought were quite old and were starting to loose their stickiness.

DSCF2752_zpsjksrpo1x.jpg

It was then given a coat of clear matt all over, then a coat of gloss where the decals were to go. I was very lucky to find the squadron badge for JG7 in my box of spares….don’t know how old they were though! Then they were coated in clear matt.

DSCF2759_zpsikegcj1w.jpg

Now the weathering could start. I have been using Testors Master Model Acrylic Flat for the clear coats, it goes on nice but does have a weird reaction when I am removing the dried black wash. Other matt clear Acrylics and even Enamel clear matt don’t seem to be affected, so I may swap back to those.

DSCF2757_zpsehw7dez3.jpg

DSCF2756_zpslpdt8axe.jpg

DSCF2755_zpsbz3nlcj7.jpg

DSCF2754_zpsjt5svolm.jpg

DSCF2753_zpstzqmiuzk.jpg

The props were painted RLM 70 (Black Green) and the exhaust outlets were painted as well.

I do though have a severe dust bunny issue in both cockpits, which I am not too sure how to fix!

DSCF2758_zpsir82fnf1.jpg

She does look really nice but because she is quite dark she doesn’t quite have the visual impact she would have had if I had painted her in a nightfighter scheme! And sorry about the photo’s looking very washed out, my camera started to play up while I was taking these photos!

There is not an awful lot left to do which is nice, as work has found a new project for me, not quite so many days away for home, but will slow down the model building. It’s been a big project, but one I have really enjoyed.

• Like 7