Hi all, I'd like to present the second of in a set of RAAF WWII aircraft I've built, this time a lesser know one.

It is quite strange that they RAAF only operated 3 P-38 Lightnings during the war and they were of the Photo Recon variety (operated by 1PRU), they were loaned a few more by the USAAF. There is a bit of conjecture over whether the original 3 were Photo Recon F-4s or started life as P-38E’s which were modified either in the US or here in Australia. They operated from Mid 42 to late 44, with all 3 eventual being written off with one incident unfortunately resulting in the lost of the pilot.

I built the last of the 3, A55-3, she started off life as a P-38E with the serial number 41-2144 (there was even for a while some conjecture as to if this serial number was actually correct), she was converted to F-4-1-LO either here in Australia or in the US. She served with 1PRU from 27Feb42 till she crashed due to undercarriage failure on the 10Dec43, the wreckage is now in the Darwin Aviation Museum.

This build was part of the P-38 STGB, to which I was host. I was meant to have finished this in time, but as some people know I have a crazy work schedule and am away from home for long periods, so I missed my own deadline.

The base for the build is a Academy 1/48th P-38F (which is not a nice kit at all as there are lots of errors), with a Red Roo resin PR conversion kit. Thrown into this mix are a new resin cockpit, wheels, turbo bits, and some PE. The paints are LifeColor acrylics from their RAAF WWII series...just love these paints.

Please enjoy, included is a link to the build. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980483-raaf-f-4-1-lo-a55-3-1pru-1943-completed/

DSCF2372_zpslus5w9ff.jpg

DSCF2375_zps70ct1jjm.jpg

DSCF2376_zps2wvnpbrp.jpg

DSCF2377_zpsp5i5da48.jpg

DSCF2378_zpsyb2atfco.jpg

DSCF2380_zpscwanrook.jpg

DSCF2381_zpshvxoxbry.jpg

DSCF2384_zpsqs1fgmwg.jpg

DSCF2385_zpszyeheure.jpg

• Like 27

Hiya Rich,

I don`t normally comment on a model when they say `please enjoy' before the photos but in this case I certainly did so I just have to say how much I like your F-5 mate,.......the paintwork is immaculate so well done indeed and the Boomerang is excellent too,

Cheers

Tony

thanks for all the nice comments, it is a model I'm glad I built and is something a little bit different.

Wow - Impressive !!!! :thumbsup:

BillyD

Ps any chance of a close up pic of the Boomerang ?

Just for you Billy...and anyone else interested.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973311-completed-raaf-cac-ca-13-boomerang-148-special-hobby/

DSCF2249_zpsbnkhygca.jpg

DSCF2253_zpscmaf7fyx.jpg

• Like 2

neat build Rich

one point, the link to the build is just a link to this page, I was curious to see what was involved, and what errors the Academy kit has.

cheers

T

Sorry about that I must have stuffed it up, is the correct link now.

Thanks for showing the Boomer Rich ... she's a little cracker.... :thumbsup:

BillyD

Ps Just looking back at the WIP thread ... blimey there was some work gone into it !!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Rich!

Forgive me for chiming-in late here but...

There are some records available on these RAAF Lightning airframes -- all of which were F-4-1-LO from the 8th PRS if memory serves. I would hit my books to double check; but I believe that the RAAF was transferred these planes but they didn't last long in service.

The photo-Lightning was in VERY short supply at this point in the war and the loss of any one ship was major! Photographic reconnaissance was key to victory and loss of fighting strength was more an enemy than the Japanese I would say.

These planes were all purpose built at Lockheed (Burbank, California) as F-4-1-LO. Field mods to photo Lightning were not instituted until much later in the war. I likely have more data on them in my library and have connections in Australia with a researcher who's speciality is the Lightning in RAAF service.

Great stuff and great builds!

Pastor Rich "PR" Faulkner

(a.k.a. Founder and Executive of the 34th PRS Online at http://www.34thprs.org )

Edited by Pastor Rich