Al Deere's Kiwi III by Airfix in 1/48

• 2 weeks later...

That is looking seriously good, I'll be looking forward to seeing it displayed on a neutral/more appropriate back ground so as I can concentrate on it as it deserves. :D

Steve.

Nice effort, coming along nicely.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Fellas, with the way this build has fought me so far I need all the kindly encouragement I can get,

Now that light at the end of the tunnel I mentioned, surely it was daylight and not a train coming in the other direction - Neeeee Naaaaah, it was the 6.03 Norwich express (not that there's many tunnels in East Anglia as it's so flat!) and it's not stopping at Colchester!

The removal of the masking on the glazing revealed that the thin coat of Tamiya Extra Thin that I worked into the windshield join as the original white PVA join was a bit wobbly, had welded the foam that I had packed the cockpit with to the inside of the windscreen. Mike's naughty word filter could be taking a real bashing if I was to type what was said as I peeled off the masks!

DSC_0057_zpselnbb2zt.jpg

Now luckily (well Mrs FC calls it obsessionally!) I also have 4 of the VB boxings which use the same transparencies so I pinched a spare from my dogfight doubles set.

Now the damaged windscreen came off quite easily with no damage to the surrounding paintwork, so someone's smiling down on me, but I am expecting to struggle to re-paint the framing, without overspraying the Kiwi decals for instance, and making the repair look seamless. Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcomed at this stage.

DSC_0056_zpsbn9xdkl9.jpg

Well I've Futured the replacement, and glued it in place (along with the spine identification light), so will let this harden properly (NO Ced, I've told you before about that!) and we'll see how the matt varnished area around the cockpit likes copious amounts of Tamiya tape, but not tonight as I've had E-N-U-F!!

DSC_0061_zpsh0ta7wzw.jpg

DSC_0062_zps3zulbf9e.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 3

You always try stepping out side the square & brush painting the windscreen frames as us luddites would do anyway. :D

Perhaps some masking on the clear panels as you did to spray it would help keep your lines straight. less risk of ripping off that poor Kiwi that way. :)

Steve.

• 1 month later...

OK, we've had a bit of a hiatus with this build; holiday, other models blocking the bench and the fear of messing this up yet again means that I've only just got this little monkey over the finish line.

I did end up masking and airbrushing the new windscreen having sealed the Kiwi decals close by with quite a few belt & braces coats of Windsor & Newton acrylic varnish first and happily this has worked perfectly with the decal remaining safely in place after the masking was removed - phew, squeaky bum time there!

DSC_0125_zpsjdznhltw.jpg

I added an aerial wire from invisible nylon thread from Mrs FC's sewing box, attached the canopy in the open position with white glue and added the cockpit door (I know it's got a crowbar but I couldn't find an Ultracast aftermarket one in this country and the second I log onto their Canadian site I just seem to rack up large customs bills, (and Royal Mails extortionate £8 handling charge) as I can never keep my spend below £15!

Well it's seamless enough for me (he sets exceedingly low standards and spectacularly fails to achieve them!) so I'm calling this done and will post some images in the gallery.

Thank you for sticking with me and I hope this is not my first and last GB!

• Like 4