1:72 Heller Gloster Javelin T.3 with Maintrack FAW.7 Conversion

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

I managed to acquire the above items from a vendor at a model show for a pretty nice price (I think). He only wanted $5, so I figured what the heck, even though I know nothing about this kit or the resin conversion. I suspect, though, that there are some Britmodellers here who know all about these items.

So...

Good kit or not? The resin (cockpit/nose and tail/exhaust section) looks pretty basic but will probably get the job done. There is a vacuform canopy as well. Let me know the good, bad, and the ugly.

I'd love to have a 1:72 Javelin in the collection, and I figure building this kit/conversion will be the fastest way to ensure that Airfix scale down their exquisite 1:48 Javelin. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

For its age the Heller kit is pretty good. Outline isn't bad at all, detail parts are reasonably fine and it even has the vortex generators on the wings (but not the similarly-sized stall warning system vanes). Cockpit instrument panels have fine raised detail, although that for the rear cockpit is redundant for your project. The only real downsides are bog-standard basic bang seats, lack of ventral tanks and thick transfers (decals). I don't have the Maintrack conversion but did once try converting the Haller kit into an F(AW) 4 by shortening the front fuselage behind the cockpit, scratchbuilding a new navigator's cockpit (using the drawings in Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 4, number 7 IIRC) and using an Aeroclub canopy but ambition exceeded capability (again) and other, more entertaining, projects intervened.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

The Heller T3 is a nice kit for its vintage. This conversion is a pretty good way to get a 1/72 FAW 1,4,5 or 7 and you can be sure with all that resin upfront, it won't be a tailsitter.

David

Thanks, guys. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some "un-buildable" aspect to the Heller kit (or the Maintrack conversion) before I started. Sounds like it may be the best way to get an F(AW) Javelin in the gentleman's scale.

Whose bang seats were used in the Javelin? Stever219 is right, the kit seats are pretty basic. Maybe there are aftermarket seats available?

Anyone have any good recommendations for references on the Javelin that would help this deprived Yankee modeller?

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT - This site has a history of Javelin ejections - it seems Martin Baker Mk. 3J and 3JS seats were used in most production aircraft. Mk. 2 seats were used in the prototypes and early production.

I built one some time in the previous century! At the time I was a bit fed up with filling and sanding so I decided to built it and not get carried away with trying to perfect it. Apart from having some fun getting the intakes to line up and a gap a the base of the fin, which I should have filled it went together well and now sits on the shelf telling me that I should have done a proper job!

It does have raised panel lines, which I'm sure you noticed, so have fun.

We look forward to seeing it

John

• Like 1

All the Javelin love! I've had a thing for this airframe ever since I saw a photo of one in an old Airfix Annual (which I still have, and that aircraft is in the new 48th Airfix kit... frabjous day!)

I made a start on the old Heller T.3 many years ago, well before I knew anything about subtypes and marks, and it got put away as too much work. I will have to dig it out from the bottom of the pile and make a finish from the start. One day, right after I sort out the easier shelf of doom denizens.

Thanks again! I was just perusing the kit again, and I found resin drop tanks and ventral tanks hiding amongst the sprues. I suppose they were part of the Maintrack conversion as the resin appear identical.

The fancy red and white Javelin (XH897) is a Mk.9 isn't it? To make that from this kit would require new wings, reheaters, etc.? I should probably stick to the Mk.7, and will investigate aftermarket stickers. The decal sheet in my copy of this kit is pretty old and likely not useful.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I built this no to long ago and found it to be a great kit, in fact I'm looking out for another.

I'm very interested to see how you get on with the conversion, on the basis of as soon as

your finished Airfix will release one,

Sean

>

>

The fancy red and white Javelin (XH897) is a Mk.9 isn't it? To make that from this kit would require new wings, reheaters, etc.? I should probably stick to the Mk.7, and will investigate aftermarket stickers. The decal sheet in my copy of this kit is pretty old and likely not useful.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill

The FAW 1, 4 or 5 would be easiest to do as you only need change the nose and, depending on which mark, probably some of the vortex generators and the elevators. The FAW7, of course, needs the tail replaced. An FAW9 can probably be done if you can cut the FAW7 tail a bit and find suitable reheat cans but if your heart is really set on an FAW9, probably better just to get hold of the Frog kit.

David

If you are wanting to do the red and white Raspberry Ripple scheme, you'd be best off using the Frog rear end! That airframe was a Mk7 but got updated to Mk9 with all the airframe changes. The only remnants of the Mk7 were the single pitot tube (9's have two) and the missing middle row of vortex generators. If you buy the Master pitot set, you will have the one for the wing and the extra for the nose! You should also get the Plastyk kit for the decals as I did and they look very nice (haven't used them yet though). If you do fancey doing that one, I could source the Frog kit for you if you'd be interested in selling off the straight Mk7 as I'd love to do a staright model with my second but can't find this set or the Whirley Bits one.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie (in the colonies)

Edited by Cabbie

If you want to do the red/white A&AEE Javelin these might be useful;

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPF3IXnAd9wuV46MOJA8RcuFcgrW8c5PV6n8b8K

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPzzG7yN79BwOacxlp5lmCm-8budUzJ93OZ2pBn

I can't post photos from Google Photos anymore and haven't got these two in my Photobucket.

Steve

Thanks guys! The question about the red and white A&AEE Javelin was more for me to learn about the differences in the Mk.9 as opposed to the Mk.7. I don't really have my heart set on making the fancy one! :)

That said, didn't Airfix release a Mk.9 version of this Heller kit? Did they change the fuselage sprues?

Cheers,

Bill

That said, didn't Airfix release a Mk.9 version of this Heller kit? Did they change the fuselage sprues?

Cheers,

Bill

They did, but only by re-doing the original T.3 moulds - hence the rather slim rear fuselage. The Heller T.3 is, I am afraid, no more, although you can pick one up for around £20 from King Kit and other outlets.

Dennis

(who, when he heard about it, stocked up on Heller Javelin T.3 kits ! )

As others have said, the best route to an FAW9 is to transplant the Frog/Novo rear end onto the Airfix FAW9 as it's rear is way too narrow and the burner cans too small. Of course a modeller of your ability would find little problem scratch building the back end if you chose to go that route (IIRC Nobby57 did just that on a WIP here a few years back). The FAW7 rear end was unique in it's shape so really isn't compatible with any other mark.

The Heller T3 is a very nice kit in it's own right and only really needs a rescribe and some cockpit detail to bring it up to date. All the operational Squadrons had a few T3s on charge so lots of options if you are prepared to make your own Squadron badges.

I look forward to see what you come up with, a Javelin a la Navy Bird would be something I'd pay to see.

Duncan B

I'm sure I have a model magazine from a few years ago which had a Javelin Feature and included building 1:72 Javelins using the Heller kit and utilising the Maintrack Conversions and they looked good overall. If I can find the magazine I can scan the article for you if it's any good to you.

Cheers,

Mark

On 18/07/2015 at 04:53, FZ6 said:

I'm sure I have a model magazine from a few years ago which had a Javelin Feature and included building 1:72 Javelins using the Heller kit and utilising the Maintrack Conversions and they looked good overall. If I can find the magazine I can scan the article for you if it's any good to you.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks, Mark - that would be immensely helpful. Let me know when/if you find the magazine and then I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Bill

I built a FAW.4 many years ago using the Heller T.3 and the Maintrack resin nose and belly tanks. I didn't like the fit of the Maintrack vacformed canopy. Instead I used an Aeroclub vacormed canopy intended for the old Frog FAW.8. I was very pleased with the result.

10399174_100978403249421_4590497_n.jpg?o

I have the Maintrack conversion for the FAW.7 (the best looking Javeiin version in my opinion) intended for the Airfix FAW.9, in my stash. Since you can't build a correct FAW.9 from the Airfix kit without completely rebuilding the rear end, I will probably build the FAW.7 as my next Javelin.

• Like 5

Hi mates,

I managed to acquire for the above items from a vendor at a model show for a pretty nice price (I think). He only wanted $5, so I figured what the heck, even though I know nothing about this kit or the resin conversion. I suspect, though, that there are some Britmodellers here who know all about these items.

So...

Good kit or not? The resin (cockpit/nose and tail/exhaust section) looks pretty basic but will probably get the job done. There is a vacuform canopy as well. Let me know the good, bad, and the ugly.

I'd love to have a 1:72 Javelin in the collection, and I figure building this kit/conversion will be the fastest way to ensure that Airfix scale down their exquisite 1:48 Javelin. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Nice price for one of those excellent conversions Bill. If that had been Hannants - that would have been £5-00 but in reality that's only £3-22 of your actual Sterling.

Couple of items. When you build it (and you will) bear in mind that the Mk.7 equipped only four front line Squadrons. Two had gun equipped aircraft (no missiles) and two had missile equipped aircraft (no guns but the ports remained.

33 and 64 Squadrons had just gun aircraft, although 64 did have four missile equipped aircraft during their work up with Mk.9's just to keep the Squadron strength up.

23 and 25 Squadrons had the missile equipped aircraft and if you do one of these you will, of course, need pylons. I am not sure why there are drop tanks in the Maintrack Mk.7 conversion, they are in mine as well, as the only Javelin to carry drop tanks were the F(AW) Mk.9R. The under fuselage tanks were known as "Bosom" tanks.

Couple of shots to give you encouragement, as has been said - the 7 was by far the best looking Javelin :-

JTM63dX.jpg

Bit of weathering detail for you Bill :-

PweRbpS.jpg

HTH

Dennis

• Like 3

One thing I have never seen, a clear shot of the business end of a Mk.7 for engine detail? Also, does anyone have a Maintrack Mk.7 conversion set they'd be willing to part with? I have two kits and one is set to be the Franken Mk.7/9 Raspberry Ripple but would like the straight Mk.7 to put along side her. I have two sets of Armory wheels for the Javelin on the way so, all aftermarket has been found- saving that Maintrack set.

ANY TAKERS?

Regards,

Chris the cabbie